Bushcraft Blades: Khukhri Reviews, what to buy and why.

I stated in an earlier thread my intent to post a full review. The following is a part of the full review, linked below. Please read the entire review before responding reflexively.

I generally spend several months testing before writing a review, this particular review cost over $2000 dollars in product alone. (Anyone want to buy a destroyed fox or cold steel blade?)

When I first began reviewing the various khukhri designs available from the Cold Steel Khuhkri, Cold Steel machete style, Fox kukri, Condors version and even a truly cheap M-Tech version I found that they all lacked the abilities I wanted from my khukhri's. You see what I found was that they were either too thin (no splitting ability or limited) or they simply could not hold an edge properly. I even snapped the M-Tech and the CS Machete version chopping with it, destroying the handle. So I expanded my search, I found Himalayan Imports blades and after a bit more searching found a few other quite well built khukhris (though this is up for argument depending on with whom you speak). One of those is the Ex-Ghurka Khukhri House blades, it was here that I found what I had been looking for.

These blades are generally built using 5160 spring steel and tempered in three different hardnesses in three different areas. The spine which on a good khukhri is almost always 1/4” too 1/2” thick will generally be tempered around 20-25 rockwell providing flex and durability during heavy use. The center of the blade is tempered from 30-45 rockwell hardness and the edge (approximately 1” worth on MOST but not all (I have found the above two mentioned are the best available easily obtained builders) this edge is tempered from 55-60 rockwell hardness. Due to the shape it is an amazing chopper, easily cleaving head from body of game animals and or enemies as well as quickly chopping through your chosen wood of choice. Because of the wedge shape it makes an incredible tool for batoning strips of wood so that you can make any number of additional tools using just this one alone. I used one of my EGKH models to build a self bow from local woods that I than took several rabbits with quite easily.

Full review here...

really cool Reviews painkilleraz :thumbup:

do you have any exprience on production kukri ?

i recently got a ontario kukri , and i thought that this one is too light-weight for a chopper.

I didnt test an ontario, but per article you can see the others I tested. Stick with nepalese made. Check out the article its linked and has links to HI and EGKH as well. Much better

Back