Bushcraft in Full Flat Grind S90V !!!

How about 3V, was used on the Tuff. Would make a great knife, and perhaps be more durable than S90V?

I just ordered my standard bushcraft (in large part due to what I have heard of the contouring of the scales).
I don't know when a s90v version will come along - but I am sure to get one. Steels are getting better and better - are are undoubtedly sexier to focus on. And - I definitely want more s90v. But the handle is often what makes or breaks a knife.

I think it's a cool idea, but I think it should be called something other than the "bushcraft" since it's departing from what bushcraft calls for, both in steel and in the grind.

It'd be an interesting sprint run and would probably sell well enough. For my purposes, though, I'd much prefer the scandi/O1 bushcraft.

But many are not Bushcrafters, and would like the long term use comfort of the Claycomb handle, but with a more exotic steel and the efficiency of a full flat grind.

Full flat grind, S90V, Claycomb handle. Oh yes. :thumbup:

I can't do a thing with a scandi...but that's just me. Give me convex, full flat, scandi vex or V grind...

Agreed that there are a lot of cutting tasks for which scandi is far from optimal. :)

However, the allure of a FFG S90v blade is undeniable. This would end up being something like a love-child of the Phil Wilson and Temp2. :eek:
Sign me up for one!

TedP

I must respectfully disagree. Even if Spyderco could get something close to a Phil Wilson blade, they would be foolish to do so in a bushcraft knife. Phil's edges are so thin that using them for bushcraft would be a recipe for disaster IMO. Yes, I have several of Phil's knives and would never use them as such. However, for cutting meat or things where I don't run the risk of running into a hardened knot or wires or stuff that could impose a lot of lateral force on an edge, Phil's knives are top notch. And if you have a Phil Wilson knife, I would love to see it in bushcraft action. :)

I'll be in for one. The handle shape on the Bushcraft model is ideal and as much as I like a Scandi grind for wood working, on a general purpose knife I much prefer a full flat grind. This model would be as close to a perfect general purpose fixed blade as one could get. Please make it happen Sal.

As much as I love the Bushcraft handles, I wonder if Sal would be willing to produce a few of the s90v Bushcraft blades without scales? :) I'd love the opportunity to build my own semi-custom field knife.

Just a thought...

TedP

The Claycomb handle, S90V or 3V would be an excellent choice for a fixed blade. I would buy either version in either Scandi or FFG. The Bushcrafter handle is so ergonomically correct, that it could go well with either grind style.

I'd definitely be in for one. I buy mostly folders but am looking to add a few fixed blades to my collection. I haven't found any that really catch my eye yet but this one would certainly fit the bill (flat ground, high-performance steel). I just use my knives for general tasks (no bushcrafting) so the FFG works better for me.

-Greg

The Claycomb handle, S90V or 3V would be an excellent choice for a fixed blade. I would buy either version in either Scandi or FFG. The Bushcrafter handle is so ergonomically correct, that it could go well with either grind style.

As the OP, this is what I actually had in mind when I started this thread. This handle shape is what makes this knife really special. I am not a fan of O1 steel, especially where I live, with the rain, snow, and humidity - it rusts way too easy. I feel that this handle shape is incredible, and should be used on a variety of blade shapes and steels, for a number of different applications. I can see this knife with a dropped point, spear, clip, wharncliffe ..... etc. As far as steels, any good stainless would make me buy more. I also love the g10 on this handle. It has plenty of grip, but is smooth at the same time. I could even see this handle on kitchen knives! :eek:

Back