Bushcraft in Full Flat Grind S90V !!!

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Just stumbled cross this tread. Great discussion. What I'd like to see in a bushcraft knife with a super steel is a THINNER blade. Same or greater strength(general term), better ergs, and(I assume) easier to sharpen relative to thicker super steel blade. What say you?

The Bushcraft handle design plus an S90V blade in most any configuration would be extremely attractive. :thumbup:

Definitely interested, I'd recently emailed Spyderco directly with just such an inquiry. I hope this project gains steam :).

Cheers,
David

I'm just starting to get into some bush-crafting type activities at my in-laws 50 acres of bush.

I have a bunch of Mora's, Hultafors, and a Condor Bushlore I'm starting to learn with and beat up on along with my 5 kids.

But i love Spyderco knives and when I found out they made a Bushcraft knife I just had to buy it. So I bought the Spyderco Bushcrafter on amazon.ca and I'm looking forward to adding it to my small Spyderco collection...though I cant find the Delica :(

Id have to buy a super duper nasa bushcraft knife, I think i would carry it everyday!...although I'm not sure what kind of bushcraft an astronaut wood do?

If we are dreaming, I would like to see a drop point, hollow ground blade like a loveless drop point hunter. Could even do it like a tribute and utilize green micarta for the scales and loveless style fastners.

Hi Lakewalker,

Welcome to our forum.

Astronauts need an all purpose knife because they don't know what they might run into. Aliens, Astronaut eating plants. Didn't Nasa just discover a "rat like" creature on Mars. Expect the unexpected. ;)

sal

Hi Lakewalker,

Welcome to our forum.

Astronauts need an all purpose knife because they don't know what they might run into. Aliens, Astronaut eating plants. Didn't Nasa just discover a "rat like" creature on Mars. Expect the unexpected. ;)

sal

I must be behind on my science reading! :eek: :D

I would love to see this. If it were done I do agree on the request for thinner stock. And hopefully a behind the edge thickness somewhere around .015" or so. Sub twenty thousandths thick.

Hi Lakewalker,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

Does this mean we should expect a top secret blade steel that is being jointly developed with NASA to meet the rigors of space exploration. We understand you can't talk about it and would be happy to settle for S110V, M4, S90V, Rex121, K294, K390 or S125V and as we all know a proper blade for space needs to be full flat grind. We don't mind being guinea pigs that you test out this top secret NASA blade on, we can handle it.

Does this mean we should expect a top secret blade steel that is being jointly developed with NASA to meet the rigors of space exploration. We understand you can't talk about it and would be happy to settle for S110V, M4, S90V, Rex121, K294, K390 or S125V and as we all know a proper blade for space needs to be full flat grind. We don't mind being guinea pigs that you test out this top secret NASA blade on, we can handle it.

I think what he's really saying is that since it has NASA associations, you can figure the price will be a little different from run of the mill knives. I think I read somewhere that the knife will have a suggested MSRP of $387,438? That was without the sheath. :eek: ;)

I think most any steel would work for me, even 01 as long as it is FFG blade. That being said I would prefer a high end steel to do proper justice to this knife design.

Dang. I missed seeing this when it started. I have already told Sal I have money waiting for the day this goes to production :D

I haven't played with as many steels as you guys, so can't comment on the pros and cons of 3V vs S90V. Personally I rather like the idea of a stainless version (flat ground), that could be taken into harsher environments around water, but that is just me. I have an ATS34 full flat/convex with micarta that goes canoeing with me and have often been glad for its high chrome content :D

I have thought a lot about what, if any, changes would be good on the Bushcraft. Apart from the steel and the grind, the easiest would be a slight blade shape change to incorporate a continuous curve. Something like this: (although the sketch could benefit from a little more point)

It is important that the curve not just sweep up to the tip all the way from the ricasso, it needs to sweep down to a max belly depth first so that it doesn't slide out of a cut, but the curve slices well and when done right makes a good wood cutter too.

This is hardly a new idea, particularly for Spyderco! ;)
C172CFTI_L.jpg

As already mentioned, even if this version is not a dedicated bushcraft tool, it would be a shame to make the edge, and particularly the tip, very thin. It doesn't seem likely to happen on a fixed blade, but I have seen quite a few S30V folders, Spyderco and Benchmade, with tips that snapped when used for wood carving and boring.

Dang. I missed seeing this when it started. I have already told Sal I have money waiting for the day this goes to production :D

I haven't played with as many steels as you guys, so can't comment on the pros and cons of 3V vs S90V. Personally I rather like the idea of a stainless version (flat ground), that could be taken into harsher environments around water, but that is just me. I have an ATS34 full flat/convex with micarta that goes canoeing with me and have often been glad for its high chrome content :D

I have thought a lot about what, if any, changes would be good on the Bushcraft. Apart from the steel and the grind, the easiest would be a slight blade shape change to incorporate a continuous curve. Something like this: (although the sketch could benefit from a little more point)

It is important that the curve not just sweep up to the tip all the way from the ricasso, it needs to sweep down to a max belly depth first so that it doesn't slide out of a cut, but the curve slices well and when done right makes a good wood cutter too.

This is hardly a new idea, particularly for Spyderco! ;)
C172CFTI_L.jpg

As already mentioned, even if this version is not a dedicated bushcraft tool, it would be a shame to make the edge, and particularly the tip, very thin. It doesn't seem likely to happen on a fixed blade, but I have seen quite a few S30V folders, Spyderco and Benchmade, with tips that snapped when used for wood carving and boring.

You have obviously given this a lot of thought, and maybe with your help and some more chatting with Sal, you and the BF members here can get him to use his resources to make this knife a reality. :thumbup: :)

Back