1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 33 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 17 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Bushcraft in Full Flat Grind S90V !!!

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by DavidZ, Aug 4, 2013.

1. desmobob

desmobob

May 5, 2003
    I have two premium bushcraft knives: an original Dan Koster Bladeforums bushcrafter in 3V and a Brian Andrews in 01. The Andrews blade has a continuous curve, like you mention. I find I much prefer the Koster blade with a good bit of straight edge to it. The curved edge seems harder to control, or something... it just doesn't feel as easy to work with or as precise as a straighter blade. (Funny part is, the Brian Andrews knife has a fantastic handle shape and though I don't care as much for its curved blade, it goes on every backpacking/canoe camping trip with me!)

I'm not sure what the actual advantages are to a fully-curved blade edge.

Stay sharp,
    desmobob

2. C_Claycomb

C_Claycomb

Dec 11, 2000
    My friend Stuart Goring, who helped and encouraged the design of the Bushcraft, is good friends with Mors Kochanski and it has been my good fortune to accompany him on a couple of visits to Mors in Alberta. Mors is pretty set that a curved blade cuts better feather sticks and carves easier than a straight edge, and is pretty persuasive on the matter. Hence the profile of the Skookum blade:

[​IMG]
    (from Rod Garcia's site)

The Spyderco bushcraft was first produced prior to my exposure to Mors, at which time I was with you on the straight edge since the only knives I had used with a curved blade had handles which were not comfortable or controllable for heavy cutting so I had not really compared the two styles like for like; hadn't even thought to do so. Since then I have had some of my knives with straight edges, and some with a curve, and while I haven't noticed a difference in control, I do notice that the curved blades bit just a little deeper and ran shavings with a little less effort than the straight edge.

As to why this should be so, I am not 100% sure. For chopping it is certainly to do with the curve allowing more of a point contact so that cutting force is concentrated, and this could apply for push cuts too.

I have not got on with all curved blades though. A friend of mine has one of these, inspired by the Skookum, and while the handle is somewhat more comfortable, everything I tried to cut skated away down the blade and off the tip. Spot the difference ;)
    ([​IMG]

3. desmobob

desmobob

May 5, 2003
    Thanks for the explanation! I'd guess that Mr. Kochanski has a bit more bushcraft experience than I, so I now have an open mind on curved blades. :)

The blade starts parallel to the handle and curves upward to the tip, vs. having a belly that curves down very slightly from the handle and back up to the tip?

Stay sharp,
    desmobob

4. Bull Mountain Custom

Bull Mountain Custom Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    With the attention this thread keeps getting hopefully we are getting close to convincing Spyderco to go forward with this project. There seems to be great interest in some sort of variation on the current model and a different steel. The current model already garners widespread praise and I would expect nothing less from a new variation.

5. lakewalker

lakewalker

Aug 23, 2013
    In post 69 page 4 Mr Glesser said they were going to make a sample and test it. They must think there is enough interest to invest some money exploring the concept...or he wants something special for his personal collection, I think hes trying for a rodent from Mars, and will trade knife for a mounted Martian

6. DavidZ

DavidZ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2004
    +1 :thumbup: exactly what we would love to see. Keep this awesome handle and with a stainless type steel - S90V :) -and some FFG blade variation. It would be a huge hit in the knife world for sure!

7. lakewalker

lakewalker

Aug 23, 2013
    Im trying to be patient but I want one now!!! Lol. Ill have to go see if any of the stores in the city have some Spydercos I can fondle and have to buy...ysah thats whatll Ill tell my wife....the store had a drooling policy and i had to buy it...para, millie, or a temp 2 I think

8. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    It would be possible to speed up the process if Mr. Claycomb would design a full flat grind blade to go with his excellent handle. :D

sal

9. DavidZ

Oct 30, 2004
    WOO-HOO - as the OP, nothing would make me happier! How do we contact him Sal?

10. Sal Glesser

Dec 27, 1998
    Post #102 was posted by Chris Claycomb. He is the designer of the Bushcraft model.

sal

11. foofie

foofie Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Please Sal. Please Chris.

12. Niles

Niles

Sep 24, 2010
    Lol. Awesome.

13. Stainz

Stainz

Jun 24, 2007
    As I said in the other Bushcraft thread, I was looking for a Bushcraft when I spied a new South Fork, FB30G, at a price that was too good to walk away empty-handed from. If you want a slightly longer, flat grind, and thinner (.118" vs .140") blade of S90V steel in a slightly different profile G10 handle, consider the existing 'South Fork' model. Mine is a decent handfit in my medium+ sized hand with no obvious hot spots. The lack of jimping hasn't proved problematic, but I just bought it last evening. It made a decent mini-fuzzstick from it's register receipt, although the PM2 I also bought was a tad sharper. My quest for a Spydie Bushcraft knife is over.... for now!

Stainz

14. DavidZ

Oct 30, 2004

I just sent this email to Mr. Claycomb through BF.

Mr. Claycomb - The quote below is by Mr. Sal Glesser of Spyderco - He needs you help and input - Please visit the thread

It would be possible to speed up the process if Mr. Claycomb would design a full flat grind blade to go with his excellent handle.

sal

DavidZ on BF

Hopefully he will get it and reply to us all!! :)

15. C_Claycomb

C_Claycomb

Dec 11, 2000
    I got the email.

Guess I better get off my butt and dust off the grinder then, huh? ;).

Doing design for Spyderco always seems wrong, lol...worse than teaching grandma to suck eggs!

16. lakewalker

lakewalker

Aug 23, 2013
    Think of it as facilitating and reducing their workload so it can come to market quicker!

17. djdawg

djdawg

Mar 11, 2007
    Iam in for a couple of these too.

18. farmer ted

farmer ted

Aug 4, 2013
    How would the CPM Cruwear that is being used for the sprint Military be for the Bushcraft?

19. Sal Glesser

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Ted,

I beliee that the draw was for CPM-S90V because of the edge retention of the steel.

BTW, we've communicated with Crhis and he's working on a blade for the "NASA" version to go with his handle.

sal

20. djdawg

djdawg

Mar 11, 2007
    Do we know when these will be out ???
    This year ???
    Maybe this month ???