Bushcraft Knife Challenge

2010-10-09-0001.jpeg

2010-10-09-0003.jpeg

note, clip portion of spine comes down a bit after heat treating. lets me leave the tip mass in place so the steel doesn't burn up front

Drop edge :thumbup: :thumbup:

Looks like plenty of handle, even by my greedy standards.

Seems to have some good belly, it'll be useful on a cutting board as well as free hand. Looks like continuous curve to the edge (as recommended by Kochanski). Do you think the long clip will change the handling of the knife during batonning?

the handle lengths are staying around 4.5-4.75 inches inside length. I really went back and forth on that since I like a handle length closer to 4 inches to get a palm heel in. But, with this you can choke back and get a bit of chop on. and it's really comfortable.

the clip really is the spine, it's a straight spine at an angle. finished up it will be really close to 4 inches long and I don't think it's going to hurt batoning much, just set an angle and go to town.

The belly is full, and actually is coming up just a couple degrees at the rear. Lots of mass and still should make out with a fairly fine tip

All of these are slow time 2 part epoxy.

I do sometimes use gorilla glue, but generally only on items where I'm peening the pins.

The clamps are deceiving, they aren't really any tighter than they have to be to stand up the knives. The pins are done at very close tolerances and require a bit of pressure to fit.

Wow. That looks like one solid chunk of knife. I like it and can't wait to see it in action in the W&SS thread.

not sure if I'll send in one with the full handle scale guard or not. I'll see once I get the others glued up

Here's the other one that gets a handle guard (the next 2 just get dropped edges)

There's a lot going on here. I did some light filework various places. right at the back of the handle, to index when choking back on the grip, on the bottom of the guard because I find that I will hold there sometimes. a bit on the minor thumb ramp and a crosshatch on the top of the spine. That's only really there for when the spine wears on the corners from scraping, so you still have a firesteel striking point.

Knife photos first, then I'll get the various grip photos.

2010-10-18-0001.jpeg

2010-10-18-0005.jpeg

2010-10-18-0007.jpeg

2010-10-18-0011.jpeg

2010-10-18-0013.jpeg

That guard seems to give you a lot of meat to hang onto for certain grips. Looks like it adds a hefty dose of safety to the knife. Well thought out stuff going on here in a somewhat unconventional design. How do you dream these up?

I also like the little details like the beveled tubes. Nice touch!:thumbup:

Christof,

If you wouldnt mind...please email me with the particulars and price for one of the handleguard blades.

'Fuzz

Christof,

If you wouldnt mind...please email me with the particulars and price for one of the handleguard blades.

'Fuzz

I have to finish getting your current order into the mail. I gave it a really long mineral oil soak (somethign you do with bone, ivory and horn) and have been tweaking the handle by hand a touch.

the Great Basin Bushcrafter (my name for this one for the contest) is still a bit undecided all around. I need to get the basic forming on one of the straight handle ones done and photographed today, too. email forthcoming

Not to distract too much, but this photos makes me wonder how this blade would be with a 4" blade, smaller handle? I'm thinking sweet! Pointy, slicy, great on meat and wood. Whatcha think?

2010-09-19-0007.jpeg

Not to distract too much, but this photos makes me wonder how this blade would be with a 4" blade, smaller handle? I'm thinking sweet! Pointy, slicy, great on meat and wood. Whatcha think?

2010-09-19-0007.jpeg

Wellllll, I'm getting there. The big one you quoted- the great divide model, is in the 5-5.5 inch range, the contest one coming in around 4.5

I'm working on the drop edge - no handle guard versions right now :D

That guard seems to give you a lot of meat to hang onto for certain grips. Looks like it adds a hefty dose of safety to the knife. Well thought out stuff going on here in a somewhat unconventional design. How do you dream these up?

I also like the little details like the beveled tubes. Nice touch!:thumbup:

I design on the grinder. Well, a little on the anvil when I'm doing some forge shaping, but mostly on the grinder. It's hard to explain, but I just zone out and feel what it needs to do, including handles.

Back