Bushcrafter SR?

I saw an outstanding Bushcrafter Sr. today. It got me to thinking

My Bushcrafter has been a heck of a knife for me so far. I was wondering if the Bushcrafter SR would be even more so?

I searched some and hit on a thread from a few years back. Rather than dredge that one up from it’s resting spot. I thought I start a new one.

The K.E Bushie can handle any fine work I have. The Bushcrafter Sr. just screams Kephart like design to me. And I have to admit I like classic Kephart style knives. I was a late adopter to this pattern. But in use, I have found it to be an excellent general purpose camp and field knife.

What say ye?

If you mean the one at DLT, it got my attention as well. Good looking, and I love the size--though I have quite a few blades that fall into that general range. If it were TT, it would have been harder to resist--so far I'm in a holding pattern. I'm waiting for the right Duke or Woodsman to come along and coax me into taking it home.

It does have many of the attributes of a traditional Kephart. I came to appreciate the pattern fairly late as well, and have truly come to love the version made by Lon Humphrey (3v). Its blade length is slightly shorter than the Bushcrafter Sr., but not by much. The pattern just works--I have flashier, bigger, pointier, etc... knives, but the general size and shape of the traditional Kephart/Bushcrafter Sr. works for me as a general purpose camp knife. I've gone from food prep to fire prep seamlessly with my Kephart, and a dozens random tasks besides.

I've seen a thread with your Bushcrafter doing it's thing--and if I remember right, that oatmeal micarta is stunning. That said, the larger version appeals to me a bit more. I'd understand if you traded up in size! At this point, I pretty much split my belt knife carry choices between Andy's knives and Lon's. The couple Randalls I have see less outdoors action, though my 5-6 has done well on the trail and in camp. I do have a Dave Beck TD SERE6 on order and due to arrive before the summer, so it will likely elbow its way into the top spot in the rotation soon.

Of course, if you do take the Sr. home, we'll all expect one of your excellent reviews.

Anthony

I am a big fan of my BC SR, I have made a few fires with it, and it felt perfect for the task. The handle ergos on mine are “glove like” for me.
frzAMJ2.jpg

I bought one specifically to be my "knife" for the First User Weekend....it excelled at everything...even river rescue...itll be at the next one too

33249902118_e664d0082b_o.jpg

Sr's handle is only about 1/4" longer than the Bushcrafter's, but the blade is 5/8" longer. Personally, I prefer this over the really long handles on some of the bigger knives. I get that the extra length provides alternatives for things like chopping, but I don't use most of my knives for that, so 99% of the time, the extra handle length is just... extra.

I like the way the regular Bushcrafter feels in the hand; it's very balanced. While I have other knives that are certainly more so, this model seems fairly nimble to me. In comparison, I remember first holding the Bushcrafter Sr. after unboxing it and thinking "now we're getting into a really serious knife". Aside from the Camp Knife, which is out there by itself, the Sr was my first Fiddleback with a blade to exceed four inches. At least on mine, which is 5/32", the longer blade gives a slightly forward balance that I really only notice when switching back and forth between knives. If just using Sr, I stop noticing that forward balance soon after beginning to work with it. I really like the Bushcrafter Sr -- actually, I really like the whole Bushcrafter line.

33249902118_e664d0082b_o.jpg

Sr's handle is only about 1/4" longer than the Bushcrafter's, but the blade is 5/8" longer. Personally, I prefer this over the really long handles on some of the bigger knives. I get that the extra length provides alternatives for things like chopping, but I don't use most of my knives for that, so 99% of the time, the extra handle length is just... extra.

I like the way the regular Bushcrafter feels in the hand; it's very balanced. While I have other knives that are certainly more so, this model seems fairly nimble to me. In comparison, I remember first holding the Bushcrafter Sr. after unboxing it and thinking "now we're getting into a really serious knife". Aside from the Camp Knife, which is out there by itself, the Sr was my first Fiddleback with a blade to exceed four inches. At least on mine, which is 5/32", the longer blade gives a slightly forward balance that I really only notice when switching back and forth between knives. If just using Sr, I stop noticing that forward balance soon after beginning to work with it. I really like the Bushcrafter Sr -- actually, I really like the whole Bushcrafter line.
That Woodsman is a damn fine looking knife.

Back