"Busse Big Five"

So, in response to comments in a current (and most excellent) thread, and a favorite subject over the years, as to which many of y'all say, "there is NO such thing as ONE KNIFE," I offer the following:

In African dangerous game hunting there is The Big Five. Heck, there was The Jackson Five :cool:Something magical and, I don't know, just "right" about five in a set or group.

I have come to view The Busse Transcendental Classics as 5. And with one of each, all is covered. Beyond this, one is simply collecting (and yeah, that makes me a reluctantly admitted collector!).

In descending order of size:

1. the Battle Mistresses
2. the SFNOs
3. the Steel Hearts
4. the Badgers
5. the Mean Streets

Of these model lines, for me the specific flavors of choice are:

1. ASHBM (with choil)
2. NMSFNO
3. ASH-1 (middy)
4. HOG Badger
5. MMS

I would post a pic as I have all 5, but alas, my ASHBM is off with Josh at REK. Cannot wait!

With these 5, you can take on the world, or at least anything found in this world.

Don't need more. Might "need" less (SFNO & Steel Heart lines are close to each other in size and duties fulfilled. Many are fans of one or the other. I love both, and with the NMSFNO and ASH-1, the differences between the two are at their greatest I suppose.). That said, not much if any duplication here, and no task is left wanting a knife.

If I were forced to sell most of my INFI, these are the 5 blades I keep and feel confident that any knife need is covered. Also, IMHO, the distilled Busse Classics are all represented.

Ok, so that is Me. Agree, or pick a different 5? (Someone please play. Yes, my parents threw me a birthday party for my 8th B-day, and no one showed. Scarred for life. Much therapy. Nightmares continue. Please help me.)

Mine:
Urban Grudge (satin)
(BG)BB13

Hmmmm...I seem to have come up short; but those are the only Busses I've kept.
If I can use a few from the Swamp to meet the target, I'll go with one of my custom shop Rodent 3s, one of my ratmandus (I'd have to think about infi vs sr101, saber vs flat, etc), and my Waki.

Luethge, now that is the spirit! Nice. Ratmandu for the really, really small work, right? HaHa! Gotta love Hogs' idea of an itty, bitty knife!

Mine:
Urban Grudge (satin)
(BG)BB13

Hmmmm...I seem to have come up short; but those are the only Busses I've kept.
If I can use a few from the Swamp to meet the target, I'll go with one of my custom shop Rodent 3s, one of my ratmandus (I'd have to think about infi vs sr101, saber vs flat, etc), and my Waki.

Oh, sure, "Kin are "in!" Should have said to being with.

With those three, that is a nice, varied 5!

5.jpg

Mr. Currawong, Sir.

Now with that fine pic and spread of oversized pork + one tiny friend, you are just mocking me and my thread :oops::rolleyes: As oft admitted, I am not forum savvy, but I was not born yesterday either.

HaHa! I am laughing, man. A varied, descending in size set of five to cover all possible knife chores, indeed! :) Well, after all, many of us here do say, "a large knife can do anything a small knife can do (if not superbly), but a small knife cannot do what a large knife can do (superbly or otherwise)." So, yeh, I guess this is totally in the spirit of my "Busse Big Five!" :thumbsup:

Cheers!

1. MOAB
2. NMFBM
3. NMSFNO
4. ASH 1
5. Mean Street

Rob, starting bigger, but getting to basically the same place. Perfect.

Functionally, you make a good case. All bases covered. Covering the classics, you swap MOAB for Badger. I get it. Nice set! :thumbsup:

I've got 5. Not all are BUSSE though.

KZIILE #35

SWAMPRAT MOUNTAINMANDU
*BIG FINISH FFG*

BOSS JACK
*NO CHOIL, FRONT TALON HOLE REMOVED*

SUS SCROFA

SCRAPPER 5
*SR101

these seem to me like they would cover many tasks

Back