Photos Busse Dessert Thread

Father & Son Traditional Sharpening

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This time of year, my wife makes Pumpkin Cheesecake... it is fantastic as the weather takes a turn for the colder temps (relative, where we are it's still HOT!). As an interesting note, the first time my wife and I had eaten Pumpkin Cheesecake... we were at Epcot Center at Disney World.

Funny thing is, exactly five years later to the EXACT date we went to Disney World... our youngest girl was born. We were so blown away by this Cheesecake, it's become a go to dessert for so many occasions but especially in the fall. We just had some for our daughters Birthday this past week, no pics sorry (THERE WILL BE MORE SOON!)

Another of our favorites is nut butter cheesecake (so far we've tried peanut butter, which was awesome... along with almond butter mixed with tahini which actually tastes similar to peanut butter). The next dessert on the list will be a pumpkin pie, made with fresh butternut squash in place of canned pumpkin -- IT"S THE BEST!

Anyways, seeing as we are getting into the holiday season there should be plenty of desserts consumed in the coming months. I'd love to see pics of the delicious goodies you guys are treating yourselves to, bonus points if there's Busse/Kin blades making an appearance in the pictures!

Oh man, I read that as "Busse Desert thread"!
I kept reading thinking you'd tie it in to knives with desert camo at some point, but no.
And now, I need cheesecake.
Damn you!

Yeah, I was expecting to see some pics of really nice blades that are no longer in production. Rare multicolored micarta-G10 hybrids, embellished with faceted mosaic pins and gold inlayed custom shop logos. Now I want pics and a recipe for that cheesecake.

Pumpkin cheesecake sounds amazing. I am pretty spoiled when it comes to cheesecake as Amy makes them for us and she is the QUEEN of cheesecakes.

Garth

Oh man, I read that as "Busse Desert thread"!
I kept reading thinking you'd tie it in to knives with desert camo at some point, but no.
And now, I need cheesecake.
Damn you!

YES, You NEED a cheesecake!

Ever heard the expression, "pics or it didn't happen"?

YES, There WILL Be CHEESCAKE & PIE pics!!

Yeah, I was expecting to see some pics of really nice blades that are no longer in production. Rare multicolored micarta-G10 hybrids, embellished with faceted mosaic pins and gold inlayed custom shop logos. Now I want pics and a recipe for that cheesecake.

YES, There WILL Be RARE BACON & RECIPES!!!

Pumpkin cheesecake sounds amazing. I am pretty spoiled when it comes to cheesecake as Amy makes them for us and she is the QUEEN of cheesecakes.

Garth

YES, It IS Amazing & Amy IS indeed the QUEEN of cheesecakes... you are ALL spoiled at the shop LOL!!!

I'm going in a different direction - I believe in truth in advertising... she's making squash pie, next (you can specify butternut, if it makes you happy :D). I get that they're related; but it isn't pumpkin anything if there isn't any pumpkin in the thing.
Luckily, pumpkin stuff doesn't get me excited; so I'm not having dessert cravings... but I do like desserts; so I'll probably check back for pictures.

Truth, I guess you'd better tell that to Libby's (fills 85% of canned pumpkin market) that what they are selling isn't really pumpkin either. Or for that matter all those unsuspecting customers who are being duped into making their pumpkin pies out of.... wait for it ... Dickinson Squash!! :eek::cool::D

Excerpt and link to article below.

https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/what-is-in-canned-pumpkin-article

"But wait. What I'm about to tell you could rock your Starbucks-loving world: The coffee drink that makes you feel like you're eating liquid pumpkin pie is in fact a SSL. Yes, that is a Squash Spice Latte. Because that pumpkin pie you grew up eating—the pie from which the aforementioned drink derives its name, owing to the spices commonly included in said pie—was most likely made not from pumpkin, but from squash.

Libby's Pure Pumpkin—the quintessential American canned pumpkin brand—is responsible for 85% of canned pumpkin sold in the world. When we think of a pumpkin, we usually imagine either the rotund, bright orange specimen that we buy up at Halloween to carve into a jack-o-lantern—which, while edible, isn't good for cooking—or its smaller, tastier cousin, the sugar pumpkin. But instead of those pumpkin varieties, Libby's grows a proprietary strain of tan-skinned Dickinson squash. And although Libby's does refer to its fruit as "pumpkin," in appearance, taste, and texture (not to mention species) it more closely resembles squash. In fact, its closest high-profile relative is butternut squash.

Because the FDA finds that drawing a hard-line designation between pumpkins and "golden-fleshed" winter squash is murky, it's perfectly legal for Libby's and other canned pumpkin brands to label their products as such. In addition, companies are allowed to combine different plant varieties into one purée to achieve a desired flavor and consistency—especially beneficial if one type doesn't grow as well from one year to the next. And because many of these companies do offer a product that is denser, sweeter, and more flavorful than the more commonly available pumpkin would be, can we really begrudge them the semantics?

https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/what-is-in-canned-pumpkin-article

Whatever you call it, it's all just winter squash. I've found cushaw to be consistently superior to most pumpkin varieties I've tried for recipes that call for pumpkin. The color's not right, but the flavor is better.

Maggot Brain said:
"But wait. What I'm about to tell you could rock your Starbucks-loving world: The coffee drink that makes you feel like you're eating liquid pumpkin pie is in fact a SSL. Yes, that is a Squash Spice Latte. Because that pumpkin pie you grew up eating—the pie from which the aforementioned drink derives its name, owing to the spices commonly included in said pie—was most likely made not from pumpkin, but from squash.
Meh - I've been to Starbucks twice in my life... once to get a travel mug that my (then) gf wanted, then again because I decided I wanted one for myself. That was probably 15 yrs ago. I don't drink coffee; but, if I did, it wouldn't be pumpkin coffee (as noted in my previous post - "pumpkin" stuff doesn't do it for me).
I was aware that squash was used in "pumpkin" products; but I did appreciate the trivia & the effort that went into that post (no sarcasm)

Edited to add quotation marks, in recognition that pumpkin isn't really pumpkin :D

Finally got the time to both make and share pics of a 'true' pumpkin cheesecake... of the 'NO Bake' variety. It was made 100% from scratch, I peeled the pumpkin and cut it up into small chunks with my Masakage Yuki Nakiri (the workhorse) ... https://knifewear.com/products/masakage-yuki-nakiri-165mm

Then, I pressure cooked the pumpkin in a Fissler Pressure Cooker (THE BEST & oldest brand) for around 8 minutes once at pressure. Perfectly nice and soft without being mushy, after this I let my wife take over the batter side of things and I pressed the homemade crust into the pie pan before baking it lightly to harden slightly.

Anybody want the full recipe from this point feeling adventurous to try it themselves? I'll ask the wife to share it with me to post here if so... there's no baking really needed so you cannot burn it LOL. The filling does not end up with the same texture and consistency of the baked cheesecake, but we like it well enough and I don't really like cooking cheese's anyways (cream cheese in recipe).

Back