Busse knife sharpening

Hello Busse knife people,

I live in Melbourne, Australia and I am after a recommendation on where I can get my Busse knives sharpened?

I'm not needing a mirror polish but I would like them razor sharp.

Many thanks for any advice or recommendations!

Cheers

I don't have a recommendation for a service, but the Wicked Edge is a great system for sharpening knives. It's very simple and you can get some really great edges with minimal work.

just buy a two sided strop and use two different compounds should get the edge nicely polished knives and tools .com have em cant remember brand name had a viking emblem works well amd you dont have to pay anyone else?

Hello Busse knife people,

I live in Melbourne, Australia and I am after a recommendation on where I can get my Busse knives sharpened?

I'm not needing a mirror polish but I would like them razor sharp.

Many thanks for any advice or recommendations!

Cheers

I recommend you get a good sharpening system and learn it. Good skill to have. But to start you should be able to google a local knife sharpening place. There should be some good ones as most high end restaurant chefs need to get their knives sharpened by professionals.

I just googled your town and found 12 services. The only spec you will need to give them is what angle you want and what grit.

The sharpmaker is more of a sharpholder. If you just want the factory edge razor sharp, it will work.
If you want an edge geometry which actually does slice and not split, you will have to remove a lot of steel.
I am using a WorkSharp with Blade Grinding Attachment but this can mess up edges quickly if done wrong.

If you are not confident about keeping the angle yourself, then get some guided system like the KME, Edge Pro Apex or Wicked Edge.
If you are confident about free hand sharpening, I'd get DMT whetstones and a leather strop with chromium oxide to finish.

I love my Spyderco Sharpmaker at 15 dps for the kitchen knives but I recently used my Ken Onion Work Sharp on my EDC folder (204P PM2) and the 22.5 dps convex edge it put on her is awesome! It's been razor sharp for over a month now with daily use. The Ken Onion Work Sharp is incredibly easy to use and IMHO Busses love a convex edge which is what the KOWS was designed to provide.

Basically, I'm agreeing with Cobalt Cobalt and just putting in my .02 on what is a nice one that seems designed for hard use knives i.e. convex edges.

I love my Spyderco Sharpmaker at 15 dps for the kitchen knives but I recently used my Ken Onion Work Sharp on my EDC folder (204P PM2) and the 22.5 dps convex edge it put on her is awesome! It's been razor sharp for over a month now with daily use. The Ken Onion Work Sharp is incredibly easy to use and IMHO Busses love a convex edge which is what the KOWS was designed to provide.

Basically, I'm agreeing with Cobalt Cobalt and just putting in my .02 on what is a nice one that seems designed for hard use knives i.e. convex edges.

Dont mean to go off the rails here, but I have a Military in 204P, and shes my EDC now. I love 204p man. Imo, it's the best allround pocket knife steel.
Now, back to sharpening. I should have first mentioned that whenever I got a new pocket knife, I always had Jason Bosman sharpen them first. He does a wonderful job at it too! That always left me a good guide to go by with the SharpMaker.
As for Busse, I just use the SharpMaker. But, I agree with what has been said above.

I didn't know the ken onion work sharp could do convex edges. Pretty cool.
I didn't either. It had been sitting in my shop for like 6 months unused and when I finally pulled it out to try it for the first time, the angles looked off. Then I noticed the slack in the belts and it all made sense. I checked the manual and sure enough, they explained how a convex edge is able to stay sharper longer. I kicked myself for letting it sit so long.

I didn't either. It had been sitting in my shop for like 6 months unused and when I finally pulled it out to try it for the first time, the angles looked off. Then I noticed the slack in the belts and it all made sense. I checked the manual and sure enough, they explained how a convex edge is able to stay sharper longer. I kicked myself for letting it sit so long.

That makes sense. The advantage over freehand is that you know the angle or are close. I just did a freehand sharpening on one of mine and I thought I was doing 15 dps and when I measured angles it was closer to 8.5-9 dps.

Infi is really easy to sharpen, investing in quality stones/sharpening system is wise. From what I’ve seen from my Busse collection, half of the knives are close to 20dps, the other half need some effort to get them to perform as cutting tools.

That makes sense. The advantage over freehand is that you know the angle or are close. I just did a freehand sharpening on one of mine and I thought I was doing 15 dps and when I measured angles it was closer to 8.5-9 dps.

Freehand imo, is akin to sharpening square tooth saw chain. Extremely hard to get it done correctly.
Lol, Ill buy square tooth saw chain, but file it round.
That may not be the very best analogy, but both are very difficult to do correctly.

Wicked edge works but takes forever, if you can get an amk-75 it is really about the same price as the wicked edge pro pack but waaayyyyyy faster.

Make sure you do your due diligence before handing a nice knife over to an "expert" or "Pro"

I've seen some absolutely abominable sharpening botch jobs by knuckle heads with a grinding wheel and a simpletons idea of how to sharpen.

A life time of steel ruined and gouged out..... like they were sharpened by driving at high speed while a disgruntled ape leaned out the door and pushed them into the pavement at 80 mph.....

Busse knives, especially INFI, is very easy to sharpen.

I've used sandpaper on a stiff rubber backing, or glass backing, a belt sander, diamond hand stone, regular stone, and ceramic, all to good results.

For the price of paying someone to sharpen, you could buy a nice set of stones, or guided system and have a lifetime of sharpening.....

Cheers thanks for the advice, I guess it was a long shot looking for a recommended knife sharpener in Melbourne.

I will look into one of the guided sharpening systems

Back