Busse Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

First of all, sorry if my question is already answered in this forum, bit I didn't find it.

We know that a hole in the rearward portion of the blade is protected by U.S. Trademark Reg. No. 2,679,735 ("Busse Mark"). So Busse Knife Co. is the only authorized manufacturer, distributor, and authorized seller of any product using or incorporating the Busse Mark.

The question is if the Busse Mark is limited to a particular hole geometry (circular) or not.
We have observed that other knife companies, including well-stablished American brands, are manufacturing and selling knives with holes of different shapes in the rearward portion of the blade. For example: Silent Hero (Tops Knives).

We would like to know if that intellectual property includes other shape holes different to circular.

Thanks in advance!

Who's WE in "we have observed" ? Who are you and why are you asking? I am asking because it is a little suspicious to see 1.5 year old account with only 2 postings, one of them being here. You sound like a business?

Not that some of us aren't smarter than lawyers, but if you're looking to produce a knife and find out if your designs violate a US trademark law, you should contact a lawyer and not take legal advice from some anonymous forum member you've never met or know their credentials. They may have just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...:D

Last edited:
Tops does seem to use them quite a bit. I would think that for such a high profile company to be using it, they either must have something worked out with Busse or they are using it as a functional feature (lanyard hole) which I believe is a way around it, but I'm no lawyer and don't know that for a fact.

Tops was us8ng them before busse registered the talon hole. Not sure if that matters

I'm not sure if the Oblong Talon hole is the only issue. Is it just me, or does that knife very closely resemble a Boss Street?
Surfsidemel

Yeah, but blade shape is not a registered trademark. But it sure looks busseish. lol. Of course it's missing the quality steel and the best HT there is

Wrong on so many levels, even without the trademark legalities. You gotta respect your fellow knifemakers regardless of the legalities, especially a brand with the history and following that Busse has. Copying that design in any way is a sure way to label your brand as dishonorable and untrustworthy.

Patent and Copyright law is exactly as effective as your ability to file, negotiate, and win a lawsuit, as well has have a binding judgment that can be enforced.

Is it really called a "Busse Mark" in the TM? Never heard a front guared hole a.k.a. talon hole called that.

"The mark consists of a hole in the rearward portion of the blade." There is a picture to go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back