Busse or Dawson for wakizashi style sword?

I'm thinking of getting a Busse AK47 in SR101 steel but I'm wondering whether it might be better to go with Dawson in 80CrV2? Dawson is definitely more pricey, and they come with sheaths. Busse has no sheath, but I'm sure I can always improvise something. Has anyone used either make in a short sword style? This would be used for chopping up to 2 inch thick trees, backyard cutting and messing around, that kind of thing.

I'm thinking of getting a Busse AK47 in SR101 steel but I'm wondering whether it might be better to go with Dawson in 80CrV2? Dawson is definitely more pricey, and they come with sheaths. Busse has no sheath, but I'm sure I can always improvise something. Has anyone used either make in a short sword style? This would be used for chopping up to 2 inch thick trees, backyard cutting and messing around, that kind of thing.

Get whichever one doesn't have a hollow grind. :D

I have both INFI and SR-101 Busse AK-47's. They have nice high sabre grinds, and you can beat the living crap out of them with confidence. Chopped up lots of boxwood bushes and small limbs from trees. Both steels are ridiculously easy to sharpen. If anything happens to your AK, Busse's got a full lifetime warranty and will replace it.

This thread is useless without pix! ;)
25615137263_9daffce0c7_o.jpg

BG AK-47 Stripped:
34955218825_7c6566091d_b.jpg

Have fun with whichever sword you choose!!!

A quick search led me to the Dawson web site. Never heard of him/them before, and let's assume that they make a fine product. The warranty is not as comprehensive as one would get from Busse. If you intend to beat the living crap out of your sword, then go with a Busse. Having said that, and having owned 3 Busse sword-like-objects, the edge profiles are rather obtuse and the cutting performance will benefit from re-profiling the grind behind the edge. I used a HF 1x30 belt grinder.

If you were to go with a Dawson sword ask for a flat grind. My larger Dawsons have a flat grind only because I asked. Their standard grind is hollow.

I have a few Dawson swords. I also have a number of machetes. Each has a different purpose.

There is a misconception that a good sword could/should/can be used in practice. Do not do that. A wooden sword is used in practice.

People do have accidents. What is an accident? Cutting oneself or an opponent. Hitting a rock or a stone.

Example. I was trained in kukri fighting. Before the class, I guess the student was "messing around" and ended up going to the hospital with a self inflicted kukri cut. Of course, in the class, we used our knives to chop down dried 6x6 kiln dried boards.

Conversely, I have an avocation of restoring hatchets/axes. They come in damaged - chipped/scratched/heads squashed through improper usage. Want to do it with a Busse or a Barry Dawson costing hundreds of dollars?

If you want to fell a 2 inch tree, use a saw/hatchet/axes - much cheaper tools designed for the task.

I've handled Dawson swords. I like them very much. I own several Dawson knives. They are outstanding. Their customer service is excellent.

Zieg

Back