Recommendation? Busse Wharncliffe?

PeteyTwoPointOne

Platinum Member
I've grown to appreciate the utility in this blade shape.

Spyderco Dragonfly Wharnie and Centofante 4 have been very good slicers for my pocket.

The Wharncliffe blade shape has gotten a lot of traction in folders, but there's not a lot of fixed blades out there ground in this pattern.

I've had my eye on this one...
COHO_RT_700x.jpg

Has there ever been a Busse or Kin model in a straight Wharncliffe, with no recurve or hooked tip? Sus Scrofa seems to be the closest I can find. o_O

If not...can we get one? Please, thank you. :)

I have confidence Jerry could revolutionize the wharncliffe shape for fixies.

Last edited:
Dang it. Now I want one of these. Lol! Too bad there arent more BG Boss Jack's floating around. That one would to be the perfect candidate to be modded in this way. The blade is long enough to sacrifice some length and still have a nicely proportioned knife.

Well that is absolutely badass!

Hey PeteyTwoPointOne PeteyTwoPointOne until Bossman makes a wharnie, next best thing I've seen is Gossman CFKs (Compromise Field Knife) and the smaller model (the name escapes me for the moment). More of a sheepsfoot, but might help scratch that itch for you.

Edit: Here’s a pic.
KuJegLE.jpg

love the handles on these, but...

imho, you lose certain amount of the utility of a Wharnie if you sweep the tip up like on those

Nice mod!

Also I tend to like the evil point on the Yojimbo 2

Exactly! Think about it, the point of the Wharnie IS THE POINT! ;):p But seriously, there's a reason why utility knife blades are essentially shaped like Wharnies.

I'm a big fan of wharnies also.

The one drawback of the design is that the tip can be a bit brittle. Seems like INFI could alleviate this problem. ;)

I totally agree...take INFI as your steel + sabre grind + Jerry's design genius to maximize tip strength and utility = smash hit :thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

I'm a big fan of wharnies also.

The one drawback of the design is that the tip can be a bit brittle. Seems like INFI could alleviate this problem. ;)

I think if it was ground similar to the JH10 it would be fine. A hollow grind to a flat grind and leaving it thicker at the point.
Nice!

The tips on a true Wharncliffe are only as robust as the cutting edge because they follow the primary grind down to the cutting edge. The upswept style not only adds a little belly it moves the tip further up the grind to a thicker section of blade and as a result strengthen the tip.

I think to address the tip strength issue the maker would need to go to a compound grind of sorts, which would affect the cutting ability in other areas. I think the reason wharncliffe's are not as common as they used to be is captured in this conversation, they excel at slicing but can be a lot of maintenance and care needs to be used in what's cut and how you cut. I could make the case that a throw away utility blade addressed the problems of the wharncliffe by making it able to be thrown away :)

The nice thing about a wharcliffe being part of a multi-blade slip joint is you could pick that blade for the appropriate use and still have more robust blades available when needed.

That said, I love them and have several. I have a Tom Krein I use at my leatherworking bench almost daily.

This is the only picture I have of it ATM..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzulGkhHi6J/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I've grown to appreciate the utility in this blade shape.

Spyderco Dragonfly Wharnie and Centofante 4 have been very good slicers for my pocket.

The Wharncliffe blade shape has gotten a lot of traction in folders, but there's not a lot of fixed blades out there ground in this pattern.

I've had my eye on this one...
COHO_RT_700x.jpg

Has there ever been a Busse or Kin model in a straight Wharncliffe, with no recurve or hooked tip? Sus Scrofa seems to be the closest I can find. o_O

If not...can we get one? Please, thank you. :)

I have confidence Jerry could revolutionize the wharncliffe shape for fixies.
I have grown to love and appreciate the wharncliffe and sheepsfoot blade in folders, particularly...I have also eyed several other makers blades in these patterns (fixed)...I do not prefer a marketly "hooked" sheepsfoot/wharnie, and the Chris Reeve insingo blade shape I have found to be most useful and a joy to use in any endeavor. I carry other Busse blades in my work pack, with size and blade shapes useful for multiple scenarios if something weird happened at work, or I needed to help someone stranded in a vehicle and as was a last resort for a possible intervention or barring a door shut, or taking wooden furniture down for barricades, door jams, etc etc...and carry folders on my person daily due to work environment.

Always have a Busse close enough!

Here, here for Wharnies/Sheepsfoot and their different varieties...

Good post P2.1!

As long as you don't mind which Busse designed it, you might consider one of my daughter's Wharncliffe designs.

Maddie is only 10 years old but she and her 3 other siblings have been designing for years!!! Upwards of probably 8 years combined! (Quite the opposite of the over 10,000 years that you'll find in the Crab Shack!)

In fact, one of our upcoming designs was put together by my sons, Cool Handle Luke and Paul (PoPo) They're still trying to decide on a name for it!
They tell me that's the hard part!!!

Here's one of Maddie's "Next Gen Busse" blades.

The colors are a bit bedazzled, but you can see what she was going for. . . LOL

Let's Drink!

Jerry

Maddie%20Mae-X2.jpg

Back