Busses and Whisky

If I hadn't read something like this, I wouldn't give these novelty bottles a seconds notice. It's safe to assume that it's marked up $10 because of the GOT label - Now I would probably buy some nice wine from "Dorne" on the small chance Ellaria squashed them grapes with her naked feet HAHA! ~ But my gut tells me a Lagavulin would be a safe risk but the GOT adds nothing to me.

Yeah, I could care less about GOT. I bought it because it was $55 for me and that is what I was paying for the 8 year. It turned out to be good.

Here is the 12 year versions for 2017 and 2018

lt6d8Rp.jpg

OK Scotch Gods question~ I joined a FB Single Malt group to see what I could sponge up from them and the spectrum is pretty amazing.
I saw a post on a Glenlivet 13 ~ It was described like this by one of the members
Bottled at 40%abv, Red color. As in any strawberry Jam.
On the nose: Maraschino Cherries, full of it. Bacon, glazed pork
On the palate, AMAZINGLY SWEET. Red fruits, cherries, marmalade and smooth sweet sherry. Nothing complex but plainly delicious.

How do you not drool a little bit with that pitch? Bacon, pork and cherries? .... but possibly not available in the states? I'm not sure how to search for how one can acquire some of the lesser known's.

Here is the 12 year versions for 2017 and 2018

lt6d8Rp.jpg

Dammit Dennis, I need to go to your house. You have half my knives AND some awesome whiskey!

I had an 18 year old macallan the other day along with a 1926 Padron Serie cigar and it was awesome!

Which do you like better?

So interestingly enough they are very different. the 2017 has more lemongrass tartness to it, while the 2018 is more medicinal. Without water it's a toss up. With a few drops of water the 2018 is amazing. I would not turn down either, but I think the 2018 slightly edges the 17 out for me. But I would not turn either away, both are awesome.

Dammit Dennis, I need to go to your house. You have half my knives AND some awesome whiskey!

I had an 18 year old macallan the other day along with a 1926 Padron Serie cigar and it was awesome!

LOL. Mac 18 is always a great one. To bad it is so expensive these days. I remember I use to get it for 100 bucks.

Seeing as how we were just stationed in Fort Knox, I’m gonna have to learn about Bourbon.

Not much of a drinker (those younger years in the Marines did a number on me!), I like mead and some red wines. Haven’t drank anything hard other than my wife’s Puerto Rican Coquito for years (if you haven’t had Coquito, pistachio flavor is my favorite thing from my time there).

But if I’m gonna be there, I at least wanna check it out

OK Scotch Gods question~ I joined a FB Single Malt group to see what I could sponge up from them and the spectrum is pretty amazing.
I saw a post on a Glenlivet 13 ~ It was described like this by one of the members
Bottled at 40%abv, Red color. As in any strawberry Jam.
On the nose: Maraschino Cherries, full of it. Bacon, glazed pork
On the palate, AMAZINGLY SWEET. Red fruits, cherries, marmalade and smooth sweet sherry. Nothing complex but plainly delicious.

How do you not drool a little bit with that pitch? Bacon, pork and cherries? .... but possibly not available in the states? I'm not sure how to search for how one can acquire some of the lesser known's.

Haven't tried it so can't comment. But it's worth trying the sherry / sweet just to compare to the peat whiskies and know what you like. TBH 'maraschino cherries', 'glazed pork', 'marmalade' and the like is beyond my ability to taste. I just know it feels right or it doesn't. But there's only one way to find out!!

Seeing as how we were just stationed in Fort Knox, I’m gonna have to learn about Bourbon.

Not much of a drinker (those younger years in the Marines did a number on me!), I like mead and some red wines. Haven’t drank anything hard other than my wife’s Puerto Rican Coquito for years (if you haven’t had Coquito, pistachio flavor is my favorite thing from my time there).

But if I’m gonna be there, I at least wanna check it out
You might try "Blanton's" Single Barrel Bourbon it won't break the bank...and if it's good enough for John Wick good enough for me:cool::thumbsup:

I don't know why, but this makes me think... If James Bond retired, and stopped drinking those ridiculous shaken martinis. He would be older, wiser, sitting at this table.

That this the thinking mans table. There have been many round table talks held there over scotch and cigars. All of the worlds problems have been solved at one time or another. :D

This last weekend these bottles were used to solve some world problems;)
kQrSB9X.jpg

Any of you guys who visit Denver are welcome to the round table:)

Haven't tried it so can't comment. But it's worth trying the sherry / sweet just to compare to the peat whiskies and know what you like. TBH 'maraschino cherries', 'glazed pork', 'marmalade' and the like is beyond my ability to taste. I just know it feels right or it doesn't. But there's only one way to find out!!

I’m glad I’m not the only one. :D

You might try "Blanton's" Single Barrel Bourbon it won't break the bank...and if it's good enough for John Wick good enough for me:cool::thumbsup:
Only $250 for a bottle. It’s not far so maybe I’ll go take a tour.

Was also told to try Bulleit like the one Stallone drank in one of his movies

Only $250 for a bottle. It’s not far so maybe I’ll go take a tour.

Was also told to try Bulleit like the one Stallone drank in one of his movies
Seems a little pricey, but then again depends on location....locally it's $65-80 a bottle (southern New Mexico) Tequila is the big seller down this way so maybe that is why it's less expensive.

So clue a noob in ~ Blantons is made by Buffalo Trace, their super select pour ~ If I did a blind side by side of $50 and $250 Bourbon, would I be able to pick out 1 from the other? ~
I have a friend who's into crazy bourbons' but I can barely keep them down. This is why I was so hesitant doing the Scotch thing but it's worlds apart for me.

Busto and Leonardo, you guys would have me wanting to go shop for bourbon this morning....:) Who am I kidding. I was going anyway. Who is this John Wick you speak of? :eek:

Last edited:
Busto and Leonardo would have me wanting to go shop for bourbon this morning....:) Who am I kidding. I was going anyway.
Since you're going shopping anyway....Find me a Pappy VanWinkle 15yr....Puh Puh Puh Leeeezzzz:cool::cool::cool::thumbsup:

So clue a noob in ~ Blantons is made by Buffalo Trace, their super select pour ~ If I did a blind side by side of $50 and $250 Bourbon, would I be able to pick out 1 from the other? ~
I have a friend who's into crazy bourbons' but I can barely keep them down. This is why I was so hesitant doing the Scotch thing but it's worlds apart for me.
If you are not a Bourbon drinker or even a Scotch drinker you will have trouble in a blind taste test picking out the difference...However once you temper your Palette to a desired taste you will be better equipped to blind taste test. If I told you Fresh milk was sour your subconscious mind would try to find the sour taste.

Back