Busses and Whisky

You like Laphroaig 10 over 30 o_O:eek::)? The 10 is fantastic, but 30 year old is the nectar of the gods !!! At any rate, I can't fault your taste in Scotch :D

I tried the 30 neat a few time at Club Macanudo back when I lived in NYC, and each time I found it too smooth for a Laphroaig, especially when drinking it with a cigar or three. I guess I just prefer a peatier, harsher taste in my Islays...probably why I like the Corry neat so much :)

My wife makes me warn her when I drink Corryvreckan. Once when we were out to dinner, she said she couldn't even taste her wine because it was overpowered by how pungent the ardbeg was. lol

I tried the 30 neat a few time at Club Macanudo back when I lived in NYC, and each time I found it too smooth for a Laphroaig, especially when drinking it with a cigar or three. I guess I just prefer a peatier, harsher taste in my Islays...probably why I like the Corry neat so much :)
So I have to ask, you didn't mention the Octomore. It's not something I'd spend the money on unless I was able to try it and did a backflip then maybe I might drop the coin on it~ I've heard the only thing close it Peat Monster but then again, I'm not into that deep yet. I am intrigued to collect the Isla's from each distillery just for fun but limited to say the Port Charlotte.
What say ye'all on a recc from Bowmore?

Best Bowmore ever. I posted this a few pages back. You must have missed it.

94q2RrQ.jpg

So I have to ask, you didn't mention the Octomore. It's not something I'd spend the money on unless I was able to try it and did a backflip then maybe I might drop the coin on it~ I've heard the only thing close it Peat Monster but then again, I'm not into that deep yet. I am intrigued to collect the Isla's from each distillery just for fun but limited to say the Port Charlotte.
What say ye'all on a recc from Bowmore?

In the grand scheme of things peat monster isn't much, it's just ok. There are more than a dozen better peated scotches. Octomore is in a league of it's own. Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, port charlotte are all typically 40-45 ppm of peat. Octomore starts around 160 ppm if that gives you any indication.

Going back out to look for some now. Sure I’d love it. I heart monday drinking. I bet there’s some left.

Nothing wrong with spreading your wings a little G~ I'm in total agreement with ya, Tequila is my thing too but I've found my bottles lasting a little longer adding some variety :D And that glass of Ardbeg Ten I just finished off sure was yumm! tasted like the smoke my neighbor was just making burning some sht :p

You haven't reached that level of enlightenment yet.:D

I don't know.... some of these Agave spirits are really complex and wonderful! This one has mesquite smoke (almost like a Mexican Laphroiag) over juicy agave with subtle mineral/earth hints... spectacular!
MnQzyXK.jpg

I don't know.... some of these Agave spirits are really complex and wonderful! This one has mesquite smoke (almost like a Mexican Laphroiag) over juicy agave with subtle mineral/earth hints... spectacular!
MnQzyXK.jpg

True. I, somehow, don't think he meant quality tequila, lol.

Cracked open a new Speyside, Glenlivet 15 french oak. I have to say, on the nose there's some interesting stuff that really stands out to m! I have to say for the first time I smell sweetness, fruit or sugary something, no idea what. It's quite lively! I thought the color was interesting but after further study I find caramel coloring added :( ` that's just sad~ there's no need for that man..... and bottled at 40% is kind of a drag too` I was getting used to the high horsepower of those Ardbegs ;) For a snatch out of the blue for no particular reason, I like :D

Cracked open a new Speyside, Glenlivet 15 french oak. I have to say, on the nose there's some interesting stuff that really stands out to m! I have to say for the first time I smell sweetness, fruit or sugary something, no idea what. It's quite lively! I thought the color was interesting but after further study I find caramel coloring added :( ` that's just sad~ there's no need for that man..... and bottled at 40% is kind of a drag too` I was getting used to the high horsepower of those Ardbegs ;) For a snatch out of the blue for no particular reason, I like :D

That e150 caramel coloring can result in some funny flavors.... the GoT Lagavulin 9 has hints of wet cardboard on my palate, and is noticeably darker than the 8 year in a side-by-side. It can also result in fruity or diacetyl (butterscotch) so not always bad, but the Lagavulin 8 wins for me, and is cheaper too!

Once you start to figure out your tastes, there are numerous reviews that can keep you on track, and are well worth a little research. But then again, your "snatch out of the blue" seems to have worked well too! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
My new favorite smoky peaty thang.... thanks to Cobalt for the recommendation! It ended up being a fun hunt, and naturally pairs with my favorite ASHy thang....

1r7mMMo.jpg

I'm going to have "peat smoke flash-backs" tomorrow.... this stuff is spectacular! Longest finish ever, with nonlinear complexity, on the longest day of the year :D

Last edited:
Back