Busses and Whisky

My new favorite smoky peaty thang.... thanks to Cobalt for the recommendation! It ended up being a fun hunt, and naturally pairs with my favorite ASHy thang....

1r7mMMo.jpg

I'm going to have "peat smoke flash-backs" tomorrow.... this stuff is spectacular! Longest finish ever, with nonlinear complexity, on the longest day of the year :D
My new favorite smoky peaty thang.... thanks to Cobalt for the recommendation! It ended up being a fun hunt, and naturally pairs with my favorite ASHy thang....

1r7mMMo.jpg

I'm going to have "peat smoke flash-backs" tomorrow.... this stuff is spectacular! Longest finish ever, with nonlinear complexity, on the longest day of the year :D
Now there's one that will seriously eat into the Infi budget LOL! Awesome man! Yeah, tha'ts on my must try someday list but probably at a Whisky bar~ really need to love it to spring for that one. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here you go Leonardo.... cask strength, non-chill-filtered, Speyside, and all of that wonderful color (and layer after layer of complex flavor) is from the 1st fill Oloroso Sherry Casks :thumbsup: Pairs well with red/black G10 and BIG INFI (and/or genius-level-heat-treated Elmax) :D
2IXNtaS.jpg

Here you go Leonardo.... cask strength, non-chill-filtered, Speyside, and all of that wonderful color (and layer after layer of complex flavor) is from the 1st fill Oloroso Sherry Casks :thumbsup: Pairs well with red/black G10 and BIG INFI (and/or genius-level-heat-treated Elmax) :D
2IXNtaS.jpg

You have great taste in knives and scotch. Love A'bunadh. My first batch was 24. Haven't had the latest series, still working on the early 50's.

1r7mMMo.jpg

Congrats bro. By far my favorite peated scotch. I just wish they would put a clear no paint line down the bottle so you can see how much is left.

:eek::eek::D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Killin me man! You said Oloroso Sherry casks and cask strength in the same sentence :D ~ and natural color and doesn't break the bank. OK, I'll put that one on my list. I know a place that has it (I think) which is the best part.
But I have this overwhelming infatuation with a special one I read about and it's killing me because it's not available in the states. Glenlivet13~ a Taiwan exclusive bottling - strawberry in color, aged in Oloroso Sherry casks bottled at 58%- reading the notes makes my mouth water - It sounds like a desert in itself and I have to have it. Is it possible to find a source that you know of? I know a lot of people around the globe but no one from Taiwan. I have a good friend from Scotland, but he's living in London now so even he can't help me out.

You haven't reached that level of enlightenment yet.:D

I guess not. Perhaps someday I will develop a taste for it.
I always laugh when I read the descriptions on the bottles of some of the stuff Jerry drinks. Things like "Earthy", "Peaty", "Undertones of leather" and "Smokey"
Weird sales pitch for me because you just described chewing on an old firemans boot.
But hey, to each their own I guess.

Garth

I always laugh when I read the descriptions on the bottles of some of the stuff Jerry drinks. Things like "Earthy", "Peaty", "Undertones of leather" and "Smokey"
Weird sales pitch for me because you just described chewing on an old firemans boot.

Garth
HAHA! You are so right! I read the notes in the card that came in the box with the Corryvrecken ! if I had read that somewhere I would have thought "And people pay money to drink something that is described like this?" ~ it sounds gross as hell, creosote, tar, leather, iodine... yeah, real sharp marketing but what I've found is, apparently all that sht mixed together is not what you expect, excluding smoke, when it says smoky it really is tasting what a fire smells like and that's one thing I've gotten down well~ it's really yummy - but, I think, just like tequila was for me, it's an education and and acclimation to what it's all about. Most of these things, I read the notes on it, I feel nose and tongue blind, my bottom line is- it'll get ya a buzz and I'm acquiring the taste :D

Garth

Sometimes, the terminology can be confusing. So consider that your taste buds and olfactory receptors are part of one system that allows you to taste and smell all in one. They are the same system. So now, instead of thinking how leather might taste as in a pair of shoes think of how the leather smells when you walk into a nice leather wear store like wilsons, and you immediately love the smell. That is what the taste can be like. Same for a camp fire. Tasting charred ashes of a camp fire is not going to be fun, but that smokey smell of a camp fire is what they are talking about. Same goes for the oaky taste, which to me is more like the smell of pine or sage. It's all about the nose receptor descriptions for taste.

:eek::eek::D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Killin me man! You said Oloroso Sherry casks and cask strength in the same sentence :D ~ and natural color and doesn't break the bank. OK, I'll put that one on my list. I know a place that has it (I think) which is the best part.
But I have this overwhelming infatuation with a special one I read about and it's killing me because it's not available in the states. Glenlivet13~ a Taiwan exclusive bottling - strawberry in color, aged in Oloroso Sherry casks bottled at 58%- reading the notes makes my mouth water - It sounds like a desert in itself and I have to have it. Is it possible to find a source that you know of? I know a lot of people around the globe but no one from Taiwan. I have a good friend from Scotland, but he's living in London now so even he can't help me out.

Just order it online

I just wish they would put a clear no paint line down the bottle so you can see how much is left.
Good thought... I might just scrape a swath down the back with one of these knives laying around :eek:

This one's for Garth.... it's distilled by a super cool Tucson senorita, and has become one of my favorite "true" Tequilas. It's main flavor is sweet and juicy agave, fresh cut grass, with just a subtle hint of damp earth and creosote, like a thunderstorm in the desert. The aroma from the tent canvas mutant sheath that Dave made fits right in, and makes me want to camp in the back yard like a kid!
p7EL2Tt.jpg

I had to order that Abelour but I'll have it this week, Thursday is the day so this weeks addition taken care of :D

After further study, I have to go with the Ardbeg10 over the Laphroaig10 for the smokey peat between those coastal Islay distillery neighbors.

Ok, 1998 lagavulin distillers edition for $110. Is that one of the good years? Also I can get old Weller antique 107 for $24. Worth picking up a few?

Ok, 1998 lagavulin distillers edition for $110. Is that one of the good years? Also I can get old Weller antique 107 for $24. Worth picking up a few?

Any weller for 24 bucks is worth it. I have never had a Lag Distillers edition that I didn't like. Totally worth it

Damn, no Abelour today for me~ no delivery - supposedly tomorrow, very bummed. maybe I'll get to open it with some fresh Custom Shop if the "Mopar Express" shows up ....hint hint :cool:

Damn, no Abelour today for me~ no delivery - supposedly tomorrow, very bummed. maybe I'll get to open it with some fresh Custom Shop if the "Mopar Express" shows up ....hint hint :cool:
Haha it probably got stealth sniped by those tricksy Busse folks. Someone check Jerry's liquor stash!

Any weller for 24 bucks is worth it. I have never had a Lag Distillers edition that I didn't like. Totally worth it

I've never had a Lagavulin Distillers Edition that I liked as much as the regular 16YO, so it wouldn't be worth it to me. That said, the 1998 is probably the best of the Distillers Editions that I've tried. It's finished in PX Sherry casks, which add some sweetness, and maybe a little milder than the regular 16YO.

Another one worth trying is Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or. Not much dirt and smoke, so maybe not a favorite of the Octomore crowd, but I sure like it. Very rich and smooth notes of citrus and spices, with a bit of sweetness from the Sauternes barrels it's finished in. A very nice after dinner drink. And since nothing goes better with bacon that Sauternes, the Nectar d'Or obviously pairs very well with all things Busse.

Another one worth trying is Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or. Not much dirt and smoke, so maybe not a favorite of the Octomore crowd, but I sure like it. Very rich and smooth notes of citrus and spices, with a bit of sweetness from the Sauternes barrels it's finished in. A very nice after dinner drink. And since nothing goes better with bacon that Sauternes, the Nectar d'Or obviously pairs very well with all things Busse.
Glenmorangie puts out quality stuff. I like their signet when I can get it cheap. I have an old 18yo bottle tucked away that I need to get into one day.

Back