Busses and Whisky

The slightly lower abv of the lag 16 kinda dulls it a bit. It would be twice as good as it is, if it was 46% instead of 43%. Higher abv does help. If you have the lag 12 year cask strength, mix it in a glass with the 16 and you will see how the mix is amazing.

I don't have
Lagavulin 10, and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere within a hundred miles or so. So I tried it with Aberlour A'bunadh. That way madness lies.

Oh, you guys are killing me with all this great Scotch. I was raised on Scotch by my Dad starting at 16. Started with Scotch and water on ice , then on to just Scotch. I acquired a taste for Scotch then I never could drink Whiskey like JD. Scotch has a so much richer flavor.

Then I got married, my wife made me quit drinking, BUT I STILL LOVE MY BUSSE KNIVES.

LESS Scotch allows for more knives. Hahaha.

I don't have
Lagavulin 10, and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere within a hundred miles or so. So I tried it with Aberlour A'bunadh. That way madness lies.

lagavulin 12 year not 10. Not sure if there ever has been a 10.

There is a boatload of places on line that have it right now, which is amazing. This is the first time that I see so much of it. This is in my top 3 all time peated scotches.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/...ingle+malt+scotch+whisky+islay+scotland/1/usa

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, Texas has some pretty complex and restrictive liquor laws that make buying booze over the internet pretty much impossible. Hell, we still have dry counties where you can't buy anything at all, except in so-called private clubs (and restaurants), where you can buy for consumption on premises if you're a member of the club. But you can get a "Unicard," (often provided for free) which gives you a "membership" that allows you to purchase booze at multiple establishments.

It's only a bit harder for a Texan to buy hard liquor over the Internet as it is to buy a gun online, except that there aren't a bunch of dealers willing to take delivery. It would have to be shipped to a licensed Texas liquor store and then transferred from the TABC licensee to the buyer. Maybe even to a licensed distributor who'd then have to turn it over to the retailer. And I don't know of any place locally that would do that. It's a really truly remarkably Byzantine and ridiculous system, and I think not worth their trouble to try to figure out the legalities.

As far as delivery goes, local stores can deliver direct to consumer locally, but they can't even ship from one Texas city to a consumer in another. And out-of-state retailers can't do it at all (at least not while complying with Texas law). And the nearest one on that list was in Dallas, which is about 300 miles away.

Last edited:
We should all go in on a cask, call it the Busse Barrel or something. I know of a nice 12 year Kilchoman that's not too pricey :D

Didnt realize texas was so bad about liquor. Colorado is a little better but not much.

Ive always wondered what seasoned whiskey drinkers thought of plain old Jack Daniels, if anyone feels like chiming in.

Ive always wondered what seasoned whiskey drinkers thought of plain old Jack Daniels, if anyone feels like chiming in.

I have disliked Jack since before I started drinking. And whenever I've tried it since, I wished I had Jim Beam instead. Or even Rebel Yell. About the only whiskey I've had that I liked less was Ancient Age. But of course, that's just me. Lots of people like it. A lot of them even like it with Coke, which to my taste is about the only way to make it worse.

And heck, until I was about 50, I didn't even like dirt and smoke in my Scotch (I'm talkin' 'bout you, Islay boys), but now I hardly want to drink Scotch without it. So for all I know, I might even like Jack if I tried it again.

I have disliked Jack since before I started drinking. And whenever I've tried it since, I wished I had Jim Beam instead. Or even Rebel Yell. About the only whiskey I've had that I liked less was Ancient Age. But of course, that's just me. Lots of people like it. A lot of them even like it with Coke, which to my taste is about the only way to make it worse.

And heck, until I was about 50, I didn't even like dirt and smoke in my Scotch (I'm talkin' 'bout you, Islay boys), but now I hardly want to drink Scotch without it. So for all I know, I might even like Jack if I tried it again.

If you ever get a hankering to try the JD No. 27 Gold, its about a hundred bucks a bottle, but Im so curious Id gladly kick in $10 towards it :D

So is shipping liquor a state by state thing? I was under the impression there was NO mail order of distilled spirits in the US at all, not whisky - I've seen some of those online order places with a footnote that said "can not ship to the USA"

So is shipping liquor a state by state thing? I was under the impression there was NO mail order of distilled spirits in the US at all, not whisky - I've seen some of those online order places with a footnote that said "can not ship to the USA"
There are some that you can. I can have things shipped to VA.

There are places that have no US shipping because they do not want to deal with the different liquor laws from state to state. Same goes for liquor sellers in the states. I use to be able to order and receive from Binny's and KL Wines. Now, they no longer ship to Colorado. Both have some of the best prices on the stuff I like. I use to get ARdbeg Corryvreken from them for 65 bucks and Lagavulin 16 use to be 60-70 bucks at one of those. Now if I want it I am paying closer to 100

If you do, I will proffer a $20 discount on any of my knives up for sale, I'm not as curious about the single barrel :eek::D:cool:

HqPoJYA.jpg

I expect I'll have this bottle for the next 20 years. 'Cause it's the last thing on the shelf that I want to drink.

It has a smell, but it seems all muddled and I can't make out just what I'm smelling. It's not offensive like a bad bottle of wine, but not particularly pleasant either. More puzzling than interesting.

As for the taste, straight up the alcohol overpowers everything. A little ice lets the spiciness out. It's not awful, but I see no reason for this to exist in a world where you can get something as good as Sazerac or Bulleit Rye for a little over half the price.

But maybe it was just a bad barrel. Or maybe I just have bad taste.

Color's nice, though.

Back