Busses and Whisky

JD is an easy drinker. The no 27 gold bottling is delicious.

That was great to hear, your word carries weight in whiskeys and big busses :D
I'm going to get a bottle and see how it goes. I had regular JD once before, in the early 90's and it was actually a great day.

HqPoJYA.jpg

I expect I'll have this bottle for the next 20 years. 'Cause it's the last thing on the shelf that I want to drink.

It has a smell, but it seems all muddled and I can't make out just what I'm smelling. It's not offensive like a bad bottle of wine, but not particularly pleasant either. More puzzling than interesting.

As for the taste, straight up the alcohol overpowers everything. A little ice lets the spiciness out. It's not awful, but I see no reason for this to exist in a world where you can get something as good as Sazerac or Bulleit Rye for a little over half the price.

But maybe it was just a bad barrel. Or maybe I just have bad taste.

Color's nice, though.

John, words can't express my appreciation for this review, you are truly a Hog among hogs, with class and taste to spare. :cool::cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D:D:D

Beautiful Fury! I remember that one ;) ~ Thoughts on the Lore???
The Lore isn't bad... But I'm not sure it's "twice" as good as the triple wood. It was really harsh when I first opened the bottle, but give it a little time and it smoothed out to bring enjoyable.

The Lore isn't bad... But I'm not sure it's "twice" as good as the triple wood. It was really harsh when I first opened the bottle, but give it a little time and it smoothed out to bring enjoyable.
I think it depends on the batch you get.

After some enjoyment of lots of flavors this is currently my favorite Ardbeg. It pairs well with the Badger I just received from Dobermaniac and check out this cute little "yard sale" glass, bought a handful of them for 3 bucks~ thick little fellers and too cute to pass up. Since it's just pass noon and I'm enjoying some vacation time~it's drinking weather :D

BadgerUaigadail.jpg

I'm gonna try and pick up some ardberg 10 yr and Laphroaig 10 yr tonight. Hoping my local place has them. It shows on the website. Really want to try some peated whisky. Anyone here ever drink Lapsang Souchong tea? It's a smoked Chinese tea. If all goes well i may post a pic of the haul and a busse ;)

Last edited:
I THINK our local grocery store sells that Laphroig 10 year old for about $52.00 a bottle, and I was wondering if that is a good price or not.

I picked Laphroaig10 and Ardbeg10 both at the local Kroger grocery store. They actually have a decent Scotch selection.

So I decided to pick up a bottle of talisker storm as well. Figured I'd just go all in. My "local" place is 30 miles away but they had a much better selection than I expected. I had to exercise control. Almost grabbed a Dalmore out of curiosity. Been watching Richard Paterson too much in YouTube.

S6aqSv8.jpg

Nice snag! Enjoy the campfire :D ~ Do tell your thought's on the Storm! Dalmore is approaching near the top of my hit list too. There's just so many HAHA!

Have you seen Whisky Tribe/Whisky Vault on YT? Easy to get hooked on, sharp guys, mostly Daniel is sharp, Rex is comic relief.

Last edited:
Nice snag! Enjoy the campfire :D ~ Do tell your thought's on the Storm!

It's like drinking smokey sea water. I tried that one first. It is very good and still has some subtle sweetness to it. Definitely lingers with smoke after. I'm sure smokey seawater doesn't sound appealing but I had another after the first.

Currently on my first dram of ardberg. Very smokey up front but much sweeter than the talisker. Salty towards the end and again very smokey after. Both linger pretty long after they're gone. It kinda taste like bourbon. I'm guessing maybe that's the Oak coming through. Keep in mind the only scotch I've had before this was Johnny walker black. Then I jumped to talisker and ardberg. The Laphroaig will probably wait til tomorrow.

Yeah I've seen whiskey vault. I read some online reviews about the talisker storm and the flavor just spoke to me. When I saw it I had to try it

Last edited:
Well you're on a beautiful path! JWB was uninspiring to me but that's typical of blends so I've read/heard. I emptied a mini bottle of it and quite frankly, totally forgettable when exploring the single malts imho~ I've found I quite enjoy the fruity sweetness of the sherry casks and when it comes to the smoke peat of Islay, Lagavulin16 is tops for me so far.

Well you're on a beautiful path! JWB was uninspiring to me but that's typical of blends so I've read/heard. I emptied a mini bottle of it and quite frankly, totally forgettable when exploring the single malts imho~ I've found I quite enjoy the fruity sweetness of the sherry casks and when it comes to the smoke peat of Islay, Lagavulin16 is tops for me so far.
Try to get the smokehead sherrybomb. Best of both worlds.

Back