Busses and Whisky

That looks good !! How was it?
I like it! It's not knock your socks off with flavor, it's a bit more subtle than other sherry finished scotches I have had. Very mellow and decently smooth with light fruit flavors, especially on the nose. It prohas It'sa bablylittle more burn at the end than I expected initially, but nothing that would stop me from drinking it. Maybe not quite as smooth as other named 20 year old whiskies, but for $57 you can't go wrong.

I tried it neat and with a bit of water but prefer it without. I think it would pair well with a meal or a nice cigar. It's inexpensive enough that you don't feel bad giving out a slightly more generous pour to yourself and friends.

So I picked this up yesterday, I'm going to try it tonight with a buddy of mine

View attachment 1167711

My understanding is that that bottle may be Mortlach.

The Blue label 18 year kirkland was definitely Macallan and the 18 year green label might be aberlour but not sure on that one.

The blue label 18 has been the best so far.

My understanding is that that bottle may be Mortlach.

The Blue label 18 year kirkland was definitely Macallan and the 18 year green label might be aberlour but not sure on that one.

The blue label 18 has been the best so far.
The blue label is not for sale any longer, correct?

true, but you might find a bottle somewhere. I have a local liquor store that carries older kirkland scotches sometimes
Oh not around here. Virginia has the ABC and the county where I am has their own liquor stores.

Oh not around here. Virginia has the ABC and the county where I am has their own liquor stores.

I remember Virginia, lol. I use to drive to Maryland to buy good scotch, lol. There just seemed to be a better selection than ABC. I use to buy Yamazaki 14 year at ABC for 39 bucks back in 2002.

I remember Virginia, lol. I use to drive to Maryland to buy good scotch, lol. There just seemed to be a better selection than ABC. I use to buy Yamazaki 14 year at ABC for 39 bucks back in 2002.
Oh yeah the good old days of being able to get anything at a reasonable price. Even around 10 years ago there was a surplus of stuff that is now impossible to find. I remember seeing a shelf full of pappy. Of course I was too broke at the time to buy any

Found some Lagavulin 12 today, but they wanted $150 for it. Good price or no?
That a not unusual price. But as with Busse knives, the window of availability may close very quickly.

If I lived in L.A., I'd get a bottle from Hi Times Wines for about $130, marked down from the $150 regular price. But I don't, so I can't. Here in East Podunk, Texas, I can't find it at any price.
It is an acceptable price. The fact that it is almost impossible to get makes it worth spending the money on it. I would put it on par with octomore but much more rare than octomore and octomore goes for $200+

Hey Cobalt--

After being unable to find a bottle Lagavulin 12 anywhere closer than Dallas, someone said they'd send me a bottle of the 2017 edition. Is there any appreciable difference between releases that you're aware of?

That happens with lots of scotches. They all vary with batch to batch. Like I prefer OCtomore 6 to octomore 8 and 9.

Also, any thoughts on Octomore 7.1? I know I read somewhere that a couple of the releases weren't up to par, but I don't remember which ones.

Ahhh. I remember the days working at the oil refinery that I could afford good stuff. Life of a Law Enforcement Officer is filled with hardships like ......

Titos or Vanilla Crown if I’m splurging.....$27.99 for a handle

Not all that is pricey is good
And not all that is good is pricey
Like Captain Morgan Black
All the kids I know prefer Kracken
But what do kids know?

Ahhh. I remember the days working at the oil refinery that I could afford good stuff. Life of a Law Enforcement Officer is filled with hardships like ......

Titos or Vanilla Crown if I’m splurging.....$27.99 for a handle
Gotta get one of the federal jobs, they definitely pay better ;)

Hey Cobalt--

After being unable to find a bottle Lagavulin 12 anywhere closer than Dallas, someone said they'd send me a bottle of the 2017 edition. Is there any appreciable difference between releases that you're aware of?

Also, any thoughts on Octomore 7.1? I know I read somewhere that a couple of the releases weren't up to par, but I don't remember which ones.

There are slight differences in the Lag12 releases but I have not found one that I did not like. All were excellent. 2017 is one of the highest rated releases.

Octomore 7.1 is excellent. As good as 6.1 and both are better than 8.1. Not that there is anything wrong with 8.1, but I prefer the other two. I have not had 9.1 yet so cannot comment.

Oh yeah the good old days of being able to get anything at a reasonable price. Even around 10 years ago there was a surplus of stuff that is now impossible to find. I remember seeing a shelf full of pappy. Of course I was too broke at the time to buy any

Yup, it sucks but today everything is up. I think bourbons and japanese whiskeys are more popular than scotch though.

Back