Busses and Whisky

He shares with his friends
What he's doing this evening
Through whisky haiku

Looks like you're having a good weekend :thumbsup: How is the redbreast?
Actually a crappy week and weekend- been sick with a major sinus infection but these horse pill sized antibiotics the doc has me on is doing the trick. I had been wanting to try Redbreast, actually went looking for the Lustau but settled on this one. It's complex, which I'm finding that's something I prefer. I can't be too sure about much else being I've been pretty sick so my sniffer and my licker are out of tune :D, but I think we'll get along just fine! :D

mZknXHf.jpg

Oops.... Wrong knife.
Must be a stand-in until I get a Busse folder.
Or at least a TGLB LE.

Last edited:
I just made a terrible mistake. I opened one of the bottles of Lagavulin 12 and poured a "wee dram." Good, but I think I prefer the 16. Then I did as Cobalt suggested and mixed the 12 and 16 half-and-half. Good, but I think I prefer the 16 by itself.

Then the terrible mistake. My top-shelf whisk[e]y shelf was full, with no place to put the Lag 12. But the Yamazaki 18 was almost empty. Just one small glass left.

I now know that there is an order to the universe, and if these two whiskeys are involved, that order is Yamazaki first, Lagavulin second. The subtle, delicate flavors of the Yamazaki were overwhelmed; it might as well have been Dewar's. Like sushi after haggis, I imagine. Such an ignoble end! Cursed uncleansed palate!

I'm sure the effect would have been the same if it were The Macallan rather than Yamazaki, but I can always get another bottle of The Macallan. The Yamazaki 18, I fear, is gone forever.

Lol. That was funny. Now let the lag 12 sit for a long time. There will come a time when the relatively weak abv of Lag 16 will finally hit you and you will realize that anything under 45 is like coors lite or water. You will then come to realize how good lag 12 is.

I just made a terrible mistake. I opened one of the bottles of Lagavulin 12 and poured a "wee dram." Good, but I think I prefer the 16. Then I did as Cobalt suggested and mixed the 12 and 16 half-and-half. Good, but I think I prefer the 16 by itself.

Then the terrible mistake. My top-shelf whisk[e]y shelf was full, with no place to put the Lag 12. But the Yamazaki 18 was almost empty. Just one small glass left.

I now know that there is an order to the universe, and if these two whiskeys are involved, that order is Yamazaki first, Lagavulin second. The subtle, delicate flavors of the Yamazaki were overwhelmed; it might as well have been Dewar's. Like sushi after haggis, I imagine. Such an ignoble end! Cursed uncleansed palate!

I'm sure the effect would have been the same if it were The Macallan rather than Yamazaki, but I can always get another bottle of The Macallan. The Yamazaki 18, I fear, is gone forever.
You have learned a valuable lesson grasshopper, go forth and sin no more

I am with you Cobalt on the abv - I have gotten to where, if it's 40 I'm kind of not interested so much unless something else draws me in - like years in sherry casks currently. There's just so much more body and character to it when it's higher - Not bad for a rookie to realize that eh? :D :D :D

That really is a sad ending JTT, hard lesson man, hard lesson.

Let it breath for a while, you'll probably like it more. Or add a bit of water. Normal strength whisky is just cask strength with a bit of water added.

Lol. That was funny. Now let the lag 12 sit for a long time. There will come a time when the relatively weak abv of Lag 16 will finally hit you and you will realize that anything under 45 is like coors lite or water. You will then come to realize how good lag 12 is.

I do like that A'bunadh, I tell you what. But it costs about as much as the Lagavulin 16 now, which I like better. Which costs about $30 more than it should. Damn you, Ron Swanson.

I killed my bottle of A'bunadh recently and I really miss it when I look over the bottles to see what I'm feeling like at the moment but I'd like to try a different batch. I may be waiting a long time I'm afraid? I've found it in a couple places but everywhere is working on batch 62 - any idea how often it updates?
I also killed off my Glen 18yr small batch - and after much thought, although good, it was significantly more expensive that the Abelour which I liked much better so it's one of those where we danced, we smiled and we said farewell. I really expected more from it- but another lesson in price means nothing.

Back