Busses and Whisky

Seems like I picked a bad time to get into scotch.

Guess I'll just slum it with Wild Turkey.
Well, Maybe something will work out still, who knows but the Scot's are not going to be happy people. So for grins I started looking for American single malts and there's a few out there the only issue is the aging process, it's nothing like that northern climate. guess I'll have to see what the real effect ends up being. Just in case, since I can't stand bourbon, I tried a rye- picked up a bottle of Bullit Rye last night - It's OK I guess, not objectionable. I guess I'll look at this opportunity to try some cheaper stuff LOL! While on my travels I did come across a distillery that makes a 100% malt in Virginia close to where I was at called Catoctin Creek - They have a malt that is supposed to be amazing - In the process of trying to secure some now so hopefully more to come on that. I would've went over there but didn't have enough time in the schedule.

Evidently the distilleries have been airlifting scotch over here in an attempt to bolster supplies before the tariffs hit.

But have no fear I wrote the White House and told them they needed to knock this off ASAP. Find something else to tax besides my beautiful innocent single malts.

My good friend picked this one up in Heathrow while traveling thru (it's a travel exclusive).... said she remembered my raving about Octomore and figured she would surprise me! Nice twist on the mega-peat style of Octomore... 4yrs in American whiskey casks, then one in Bordeaux red casks... ridiculously complex and more so dynamic, a sip will transform second-by-second from dark fruits to sweet smoked bacon to earthy tones then tobacco and leather then back to berries with a hint of gunpowder.... mind boggling!
vU4DqOQ.jpg

And I guess I will hit all the local shops to stock up on favorites.... prices are bad enough without! Thanks for the heads-up....

My good friend picked this one up in Heathrow while traveling thru (it's a travel exclusive).... said she remembered my raving about Octomore and figured she would surprise me! Nice twist on the mega-peat style of Octomore... 4yrs in American whiskey casks, then one in Bordeaux red casks... ridiculously complex and more so dynamic, a sip will transform second-by-second from dark fruits to sweet smoked bacon to earthy tones then tobacco and leather then back to berries with a hint of gunpowder.... mind boggling!
vU4DqOQ.jpg

And I guess I will hit all the local shops to stock up on favorites.... prices are bad enough without! Thanks for the heads-up....

How do you find those glasses? I use the same ones. From memory they were a kickstarter project and are supposed to be scientifically designed or something? A friend gave them to me so I can't remember the details. They're not bad, but could be a bit bigger and with thinner glass.

Well the only thing I know is, I guess I really like A'Bunadh because I just a 2nd to my cork bowl honoring the dead soldiers :D

Currawong Currawong Yes on the glasses- called Norlan - I get the pop up adds on them constantly.... so yeah, just busted myself at what kind of searches I do LOL!

Last edited:
How do you find those glasses? I use the same ones. From memory they were a kickstarter project and are supposed to be scientifically designed or something? A friend gave them to me so I can't remember the details. They're not bad, but could be a bit bigger and with thinner glass.

The same friend that found the amazing Octomore gave me a pair for my birthday a few years ago, and I've been addicted since! Total Wine has them here in AZ, so a new set is always at the ready to replace any mishaps. The same dude (lad, perhaps?) that designed them is responsible for the original Octomore distillations... Jim McEwan.

Math/physics Nerd alert.... the interior shape is very similar to cooling towers for nuclear reactors and such... a modified hyperboloid :cool: It facilitates natural convection to bring the vapor/aroma up, with a subtle swirl from the helical vanes. It's also naturally strong in the vertical direction, which doesn't help a glass much, but rocks in a smokestack or cooling tower. The double wall maintains internal temperature, and they are fun to swirl some whisky in and admire :D

I think it was a kickstarter thing originally, but you should be able to find them with a bit of a search. Cheers!

Last edited:
The same friend that found the amazing Octomore gave me a pair for my birthday a few years ago, and I've been addicted since! Total Wine has them here in AZ, so a new set is always at the ready to replace any mishaps. The same dude (lad, perhaps?) that designed then is responsible for the original Octomore distillations... Jim McEwan.

Math/physics Nerd alert.... the interior shape is very similar to cooling towers for nuclear reactors and such... a modified hyperboloid :cool: It facilitates natural convection to bring the aroma up, with a subtle swirl from the helical vanes. It's also naturally strong in the vertical direction, which doesn't help a glass much, but rocks in a smokestack or cooling tower. The double wall maintains internal temperature, and they are fun to swirl so whisky in and admire :D

I think it was a kickstarter thing originally, but you should be able to find them with a bit of a search. Cheers!

OCTOMORE!!!!!

best peated scotch bar none

Thanks for the inspiration.... I'm savoring a (Norlan) glass of Octomore now as I roast some coffee (a wonderful Gesha from Guatemala)! Busse content added to keep things on track.... love that SWATmandu!
RCMC8st.jpg

Well I am almost in the middle of the country
I'm in southeast La. Middle of the country and then south.

Keep this post some what on topic. My busse desk/pack knife EDC. Goes almost everywhere with me. Can't drink scotch at work.
3ZTHG5i.jpg

Well, Maybe something will work out still, who knows but the Scot's are not going to be happy people. So for grins I started looking for American single malts and there's a few out there the only issue is the aging process, it's nothing like that northern climate. guess I'll have to see what the real effect ends up being. Just in case, since I can't stand bourbon, I tried a rye- picked up a bottle of Bullit Rye last night - It's OK I guess, not objectionable. I guess I'll look at this opportunity to try some cheaper stuff LOL! While on my travels I did come across a distillery that makes a 100% malt in Virginia close to where I was at called Catoctin Creek - They have a malt that is supposed to be amazing - In the process of trying to secure some now so hopefully more to come on that. I would've went over there but didn't have enough time in the schedule.
I've seen Catoctin Creek in the stores near me. Which bottle are you looking for? There is also a distillery up in Baltimore called old line that makes a good whiskey as well.

Back