Butchers Chef Knife - Review

TLA

Gold Member
To all,

I wanted to do a little review on the Osprey Knife & Tool: Butchers Chef Knife that I purchased on 12-10-17, now that I have had some time to use it.

I would like to begin with the stats of this knife as taken from the original sales post.

Photo from the original sales thread.
IMG_8285.JPG

Butchers Chef Knife

1/8" 1095 (Measures .116" directly in front of the scales)

Full Skeletonized Tang, Distal Taper to the Blade with Hamon (Hand Rubbed Finish)

OD Green Canvas Micarta over Black Carbon Fiber Pin out and Lanyard Tube

Blade 6 3/4", OAL 11 ¾", 7.04 oz

My initial impression was, this knife is one bad mother (I think you all know what completes this statement) and I was right.

I spoke with Christopher on messenger the other day and he asked “what stands out about this blade to you”? The one thing that stands out the most to me is the blade shape. As you can see from the photo above and in the rest of the photos, this Butchers Chef Knife does not look like what most people would call a chef’s or butchers knife. I only have one kitchen knife at home that remotely has a similar shape and that one has an Asian influence to it.

Blade Shape: This knife has a deep belly, distal taper with the tip coming up ever so slightly kind of like a trail point. The heel is plenty tall for my hands so it’s not a knuckle buster like some kitchen knives I own. The spine on this knife is squared versus rounded.

Performance: Due to its’ blade shape this knife allows the user to chop really good using a push cut or with a rocking motion as you can get some height when rocking the blade using a two handed motion.

Prepping cabbage for red slaw and the final results of a table side Caesar salad from scratch for Christmas dinner (the knife was used to cut the day old bread for croutons and the romaine lettuce.

Prepping Cabbage for Red Slaw
IMG_8344.JPG

Red Slaw
IMG_8345.JPG

IMG_8356.JPG

This knife has a very acute tip due to the distal taper which allow me to make very precise cuts when dicing an onion for my Alaska sized hushpuppies for our Christmas dinner.
IMG_8355.JPG

The blade shape also allows the user to make long slicing type cuts. It excelled at trimming some of the excess fat on the ribs that I smoked for Christmas dinner especially the fat on the underside of the ribs along the bones.
IMG_8358.JPG

Ribs, red slaw and Alaska sized hushpuppies.
IMG_8360.JPG

Now I would like to address a couple of things that some people might complain about. First is the tip on how it comes up. As for me, I love the way the tip comes up on this blade. Now I did notice that when I tried using the spine of the knife to scrape the diced onions into my mixing bowl the tip had a tendency to get caught up on my cutting board. However this is not a big issue to me as I can always use my hands to scrape food off the cutting board. A person can use the edge of the knife to scrape food off the cutting board but I personally don't recommend this as you can dull or damage the edge.

Second is the squared spine. In my observations most people prefer a rounded spine on a kitchen knife for comfort when choking up on the blade in the pinch grip especially if they end up using the knife for extended periods of time. Now I am not a professional chef I just pretend to be one at home when no one is looking so the squared spine didn’t really bother me at all even when I used it for an extended period. Besides a nice squared spine is great for removing fish scales and with the thin tip of this knife a person can get into the small nooks and crannies.

Overall Performance: The Osprey Knife & Tool: Butchers Chef Knife has met and exceeded my expectations. It performed all tasks I put in front of it flawlessly and at no time did I ever re-sharpen or strop the edge during a week and a half of testing. The edge remained very sharp. Like all Osprey Knives the fit and finish is excellent and the handle is very ergonomic.

As far as I’m concerned Christopher knocked this one out of the universe. If there is one thing that I would ask Christopher to do with this design that would be to make one in stainless steel with the squared spine. I would carry a stainless version with me during salmon season as I know in my heart this knife is meant for processing fish.

Thank you all for your time.

Tony

Great write up Tony. It looks to be a very capable knife. You can almost see it being templated off a standard cleaver, slightly offsetting the handle and removing sections for the upswept cutting edge.

I am curious where the balance point is on this knife? It looks like it would have a little more forward heft compared to the forefingered/"neutral balance" typical of the chef knives I have used.

I also like spines to be set at a 90 - on some knives. It would be nice to have the option for a squared spine on the more field oriented knives and I can see it being useful for scraping on food prep knives to prolong cutting edge sharpness.

The balance point is pretty much dead center of the first pin closest to the heal of the blade. I will say the more I use this knife the more I really love this design and the 90 degree spine does not bother me one bit. The spine is sharp enough to scrape with but not so sharp that it digs into my hand.

TLA TLA Thanks for the well written review and nice photos. You got a very handsome and practical knife there. I enjoyed watching it progress through the shop in Chris’ WIP threads.

I like the blade shape a lot because I do a lot of rocking/push/slice type cuts in the kitchen. The handle design looks awesome too. I especially like that Chris added angled flats at the front of the handle to allow for a comfortable pinch grip for fine work. The excellent Hamon adds a lot of character to the blade. No one who sees that knife will mistake it for a store bought blade. It screams handmade all the way.

Congratulations on scoring this special knife. You and I seem to be kindred spirits in our tastes in kitchen-y knives. Unless my memory is faulty, you scored the first “K” Raptor and a W.A. Surls “Moray” too. I am going to have to try for the next Chef Knife that Chris makes to try to keep up.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and photos.

Phil

Phil,

You are correct that I did score the first “K” Raptor and W.A. Surls Moray. I hope that when Chris makes another one of these that you score one. I love it so much that I want another one in stainless. This knife is definitely in my top five favorite kitchen knives that I own.

Tony

Phil,

You are correct that I did score the first “K” Raptor and W.A. Surls Moray. I hope that when Chris makes another one of these that you score one. I love it so much that I want another one in stainless. This knife is definitely in my top five favorite kitchen knives that I own.

Tony

Thanks for the comments Tony! I hope you realize the Chris is going to lose sleep wondering why this knife isn't in your Top 1 kitchen knives. :D What are the other knives in your top five? Even I want to know. ;)

Phil

Last edited:
Phil,

Here are my top five, actually I should say six kitchen knives.

My chef knife from Chris and my other custom chef knife from Christopher Berry are two favorite knives to use in the kitchen. The others are my santuko’s by Matt Lesniewski and Joe Calton. Finally my W.A. Surls Moray and Skiva. Each one of these knives are very special to me and they have helped me prepare some very good meals for myself and others.

Tony

Back