Butcher's Wax

Is this an OK wax to finish a wooden handle with. I found some in my celler. It says, "butchers Bowling Alley Wax." If it is good for a bowling alley, shouldn't it be ok for wooden scales?

Never used it, probably just a good floor wax like Johnson's paste. I would seal the handle first with poly or tung oil or something, then put a couple of coats of the wax over it. Might try a scrap piece and see how it works.

Good stuff!
I put it on everything, blades, handles , sheaths.
Rub it in, let dry, buff. bruce

I've never used the stuff but I've read good stuff about it here on the forums. A search might prove useful.

Bowling Alley Wax is a general product name for tough floor waxes (marketing hype - bowling alleys don't use it).Butcher's is a good brand. These waxes are hard finish,with about 20% solids,mostly Carnuba.The volatile agent is petroleum spirits and turpentine. It has been used to prevent rust ,and make the wood move smoothly,on power tools (table saws,planers.drill press tables,etc.) for well over 50 years.One advantage to high solid waxes is that they can be re-buffed easily (since there is still some wax there after the first buff).

Back