button head bolts

I am planning on building a folder up to now worked on fixed blade models. I am somewhat unsure as to how the use of flat head or button head bolt are used to hold the scales on. For example if you use them from one side the are tapped into the tang (liner) how do you get the other side lined up so they are in the same spot . Also can you use them on a fixed blade knife, if so do you offset the bolts as you have to tap the tang in the same spot to utilize the bolts? Hope I explanied this correctly. many thanks in advance

thor

I wouldn't use flat heads to hold the scales on the liners, go with counter sunk button heads. To make everything line up, clamp two pieces of the liner mateial together and drill the holes.

------------------
Take care!! Michael
jesus.jpg

Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!
http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

Wow Barry, you weren't kidding, thanks!!!!!

------------------
Take care!! Michael
jesus.jpg

Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!
http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

Use at least .040" thick liners. I like the 2-56 size screws. Rough out a right and a left liner and super-glue them together before drilling. drill and tap both liners while they are glued together. Use temperary screws to hold them together while doing all the other cutting, profiling, fitting, pivot hole reaming ect. Pop the scales apart at this time. This way they are as one and the blade will center when closed. Unless the blade is not true. Use the flat heads to hold the knife frame together under the scales and the button heads to hold the scales on. Use the proper counter-sink and counter-bore for them. Do you know what I mean? Bruce B.

Back