Buyer beware Captain Chris Stanaback

Status
Not open for further replies.

glimmerman

Gold Member
I just wanted to share a recent experience with the famous Captain Chris Stanaback seeing as how I can't leave a review on his website. I recently purchased a model 7-5 with a stag handle from the Captain's website. In the beginning everything seemed great and the knife shipped pronto.

When I received the knife I was not happy with it because I purchased it with the intent of using it. The stag handle was kind of funny shaped like a cone. It had a very large diameter at the base and tapered to a much smaller diameter at the hilt creating, in my opinion, a non user friendly grip for hunting purposes. I have boned out more elk and mule deer than I can count so I have a good feel for what I want in a knife.

I contacted the "Captain" and he emailed me back promptly saying. " I don't want anyone to be unhappy with a knife they bought from me" he then offered to have me send it back in exchange for a different knife. I let him know that would be fine and offered to pay the shipping. That was the last I heard from him...

After a week of waiting for a response I reached out to Randall Made Knives directly and contacted Scott. At this point I had also realized that I failed to receive the stone or original paperwork with the knife and noticed that the stag handle also had multiple tooling marks on the handle. I asked Scott if it was possible to have the knife handle re-profiled or replaced and he told me to return it to the Captain. He offered to call the Captain for me because I wasn't getting a response from him. This is where the story really turns south.

Last edited:
A few hours after talking to Scott I received a call from a furious Captain. He yelled at me, cussed at me, called me names, and refused to have a conversation. Apparently he was furious that I "went over his head and called Randall directly" After yelling, name calling, and cussing, like a pubescent teenager he stated, " send the knife back and I will refund your money, end of story", and hung up before I could say anything. Maybe if he would have given better customer service instead of leaving me hanging for a week I would not have felt the need to " go over his head" and call Randall directly. At this point I went ahead and sent the knife back... Now he has had the knife for a week according to my ups proof of delivery and he is refusing to refund me my money.

He has the knife and my money. This guy is a no good amoral crook that acts like a child not a grown man or "Captain" of any kind, and I have plenty of experience dealing with real Captains. This guy is a fake and he refuses to answer my calls or emails. I finally got through to him last Friday after blocking my number and calling him. He yelled and cussed at me again and said don't call him. He informed me that because I initiated a return request through paypal that he would not refund my money unless paypal forced him to. I am new to paypal and I thought it was standard operating procedure to file a return request for a returned item that was purchased via paypal. Also it seems to me if he was so worried about the paypal return request he could just refund my money and it would be closed....

The worst part is this guy has completely ruined my ability to enjoy Randall made knives. Whenever I look at my 1-7 or 12-6 little bear I can only think of this disrespectful "Captain" and the lousy service I received and that fact that he is trying to rip me off $500. I have a good friend that recently got diagnosed with MS. I am going to gift him my two Randall's to try and lift his spirits because they are only lowering mine. Even worse I have looked forward to the day when I would inherit my Father's 1-7 that he carried on multiple deployments and now that is ruined also. I will probably sell it once I inherit it or tell him to give it to one of my sisters.

I still cannot believe that Captain Chris Stanaback did this.

Over and out

Why would your thoughts about Randall be so resentful?

Why would your thoughts about Randall be so resentful?

I do not resent Randall at all, they make great knives and Scott was super friendly. But I am still reminded of the Captain, his disservice to me, and the negative feelings that creates every time I see or hold a Randall.

I understand how one interaction can leave a sour taste in your mouth, and that the interaction with the Captain colors your view of your other knives. I'd encourage to resolve the financial issues (call your credit card?) then let your knives set for a while. A few months or more. If, after all that, you still dislike all RMK, then make a move.

I bought a knife off the exchange a while back, and wasn't real happy with the maker's attitude during the shipping process. After a while, though, I've come to appreciate the knife for what it is.

I understand how one interaction can leave a sour taste in your mouth, and that the interaction with the Captain colors your view of your other knives. I'd encourage to resolve the financial issues (call your credit card?) then let your knives set for a while. A few months or more. If, after all that, you still dislike all RMK, then make a move.

I bought a knife off the exchange a while back, and wasn't real happy with the maker's attitude during the shipping process. After a while, though, I've come to appreciate the knife for what it is.

Good advice, I don't want to sell them but gifting them to my buddy would really make his day and put a giant grin on his face. Considering his recent diagnosis I am kind of glad my biggest problem is the potential loss of my money and this transaction. The cost of a Randall is a decent chunk of cash, but at least I got my health....

Good advice, I don't want to sell them but gifting them to my buddy would really make his day and put a giant grin on his face. Considering his recent diagnosis I am kind of glad my biggest problem is the potential loss of my money and this transaction. The cost of a Randall is a decent chunk of cash, but at least I got my health....
I was told about this topic by a good friend and customer. Some of you may know me...others not. There are 2 sides to each and every argument. I sold a knife off of my website. On the website I provided a write up about the knife and "8" or so, close up, photos, shot with a Canon EOS-R and a Canon 17-40mm "L" series lens, to include 3 close-ups of the knife's stag handle (The handle in question).
Upon receipt, this customer didn't like the handle and called the Randall shop, stating the handle was too big. Michael Randall took the call and asked if the customer had "small hands or small fingers". The customer wanted the handle replaced. RMK's position on re-handles is that they will "not" re-handle a knife unless there is something wrong with it. Not being "small" enough is not something "wrong" with it and the customer was told as much.
"After" that phone call..."then"...I got a call from him (The customer) stating the same argument and telling me it was: "No big deal. If nothing could be done he would just sell it on eBay". I told him I didn't want anybody to buy a knife from me and be dissatisfied...and to send it back..."BUT"...I couldn't get the shop to re-handle it.
Another phone call to the shop by this man and this time, I think, he talked to Scott, also mentioning that he thought that I had "re-dyed or touched-up" the handle. Scott assured him, as Michael Randall did prior, that the knife was 100% correct and exactly as it had left the shop.
Apparently, this was still not good enough for this customer and I told him to send the knife back to me, which is exactly what he had been told..."both times"...he called the shop. A few days pass and..still...no knife but a dispute had been opened up with Paypal's resolution center, stating that the knife was "defective" and not what was described. The knife is still listed on my website folks...Go take a look, if you like.
My response back to Paypal was that this was a bogus claim and, at that writing, I "still" had not received the knife back. I'm sure someone else will want the last word but I'll move this Model #7-5", in stag, to the bottom of my "Randall Stuff For Sale" page on my website and you folks can judge for yourself. I will still tell anyone, I don't want anybody receiving a knife from me they don't want...just handle it properly and it will get resolved....to be continued.
Thanks, Capt. Chris Stanaback

I was told about this topic by a good friend and customer. Some of you may know me...others not. There are 2 sides to each and every argument. I sold a knife off of my website. On the website I provided a write up about the knife and "8" or so, close up, photos, shot with a Canon EOS-R and a Canon 17-40mm "L" series lens, to include 3 close-ups of the knife's stag handle (The handle in question).
Upon receipt, this customer didn't like the handle and called the Randall shop, stating the handle was too big. Michael Randall took the call and asked if the customer had "small hands or small fingers". The customer wanted the handle replaced. RMK's position on re-handles is that they will "not" re-handle a knife unless there is something wrong with it. Not being "small" enough is not something "wrong" with it and the customer was told as much.
"After" that phone call..."then"...I got a call from him (The customer) stating the same argument and telling me it was: "No big deal. If nothing could be done he would just sell it on eBay". I told him I didn't want anybody to buy a knife from me and be dissatisfied...and to send it back..."BUT"...I couldn't get the shop to re-handle it.
Another phone call to the shop by this man and this time, I think, he talked to Scott, also mentioning that he thought that I had "re-dyed or touched-up" the handle. Scott assured him, as Michael Randall did prior, that the knife was 100% correct and exactly as it had left the shop.
Apparently, this was still not good enough for this customer and I told him to send the knife back to me, which is exactly what he had been told..."both times"...he called the shop. A few days pass and..still...no knife but a dispute had been opened up with Paypal's resolution center, stating that the knife was "defective" and not what was described. The knife is still listed on my website folks...Go take a look, if you like.
My response back to Paypal was that this was a bogus claim and, at that writing, I "still" had not received the knife back. I'm sure someone else will want the last word but I'll move this Model #7-5", in stag, to the bottom of my "Randall Stuff For Sale" page on my website and you folks can judge for yourself. I will still tell anyone, I don't want anybody receiving a knife from me they don't want...just handle it properly and it will get resolved....to be continued.
Thanks, Capt. Chris Stanaback

So you are saying yourself you have the knife and are reselling it. I am sorry if I offended you by calling the Randall shop after not hearing back from you in a week. This was a large misunderstanding and you never gave me the chance via any phone call to say sorry or work something out. I sold tools for a Snap-On franchisee for 5 years so I know what it means to sell expensive quality made in America tools, and half of what I sold was my customer service. I would never let an unhappy customer with an issue go unresolved for a week. You easily could have replied to my email and prevented my calling Randall the 2nd time. Maybe you should have asked yourself, why did this guy feel the need to call Randall? The fact that I have to go online and post this thread to even attempt to communicate with you should speak volumes. This whole issue can be resolved right now and the paypal return claim closed if you just refund me my money. You are admitting that you got the knife back but aren't giving me the refund. Furthermore Paypal's website says that you are supposed to file a return claim for any item that was purchased via paypal that is being returned, all I did was follow paypal's protocols. I did not mean to offend you by following paypal's instructions but it seems you get offended quite easily....Frankly after you called and cussed at me for calling Randall and hung up instead of asking why I called Randall or looking to solve the issue I was hesitant to send the knife back for a return without some kind of documentation. I was not trying to cause you any problems and I did try to "handle it properly" but you never emailed me back so after a week of waiting I reached out to Randall. Yes it was the 2nd time I called Randall, but the first time was only because I didn't want to ask for a return or refund when you did clearly show the knife in your listing. I am fairly new to Randall made knives and their policies or I would not have bothered calling them about the handle the first time. Again I am sorry if I offended you and I wish you could also admit your mistakes and offer an apology. If I wasn't 2,000+ miles away I would come over to your office and offer a handshake and apology for any grief I have caused you but I can't and you won't answer my emails or phone calls. All I wanted was a knife I would be happy with or my refund, and you have the power to give me my refund right this instant and the paypal return will be closed. It's that simple.....

Last edited:
So you are saying yourself you have the knife and are reselling it. I am sorry if I offended you by calling the Randall shop after not hearing back from you in a week. This was a large misunderstanding and you never gave me the chance via any phone call to say sorry or work something out. I sold tools for a Snap-On franchisee for 5 years so I know what it means to sell expensive quality made in America tools, and half of what I sold was my customer service. I would never let an unhappy customer with an issue go unresolved for a week. You easily could have replied to my email and prevented my calling Randall the 2nd time. Maybe you should have asked yourself, why did this guy feel the need to call Randall? The fact that I have to go online and post this thread to even attempt to communicate with you should speak volumes. This whole issue can be resolved right now and the paypal return claim closed if you just refund me my money. You are admitting that you got the knife back but aren't giving me the refund. Furthermore Paypal's website says that you are supposed to file a return claim for any item that was purchased via paypal that is being returned, all I did was follow paypal's protocols. I did not mean to offend you by following paypal's instructions but it seems you get offended quite easily....Frankly after you called and cussed at me for calling Randall and hung up instead of asking why I called Randall or looking to solve the issue I was hesitant to send the knife back for a return without some kind of documentation. I was not trying to cause you any problems and I did try to "handle it properly" but you never emailed me back so after a week of waiting I reached out to Randall. Yes it was the 2nd time I called Randall, but the first time was only because I didn't want to ask for a return or refund when you did clearly show the knife in your listing. I was excited to get another Randall, but now I don't ever want to see another one. I should have paid more attention to the listing. I am ignorant and fairly new to Randall made knives and their policies or I would not have bothered calling them about the handle the first time. Again I am sorry if I offended you and I wish you could also admit your mistakes and offer an apology. If I wasn't 2,000+ miles away I would come over to your office and offer a handshake and apology for any grief I have caused you but I can't and you won't answer my emails or phone calls. All I wanted was a knife I would be happy with or my refund, and you have the power to give me my refund right this instant and the paypal return will be closed. It's that simple.....
So you are saying yourself you have the knife and are reselling it. I am sorry if I offended you by calling the Randall shop after not hearing back from you in a week. This was a large misunderstanding and you never gave me the chance via any phone call to say sorry or work something out. I sold tools for a Snap-On franchisee for 5 years so I know what it means to sell expensive quality made in America tools, and half of what I sold was my customer service. I would never let an unhappy customer with an issue go unresolved for a week. You easily could have replied to my email and prevented my calling Randall the 2nd time. Maybe you should have asked yourself, why did this guy feel the need to call Randall? The fact that I have to go online and post this thread to even attempt to communicate with you should speak volumes. This whole issue can be resolved right now and the paypal return claim closed if you just refund me my money. You are admitting that you got the knife back but aren't giving me the refund. Furthermore Paypal's website says that you are supposed to file a return claim for any item that was purchased via paypal that is being returned, all I did was follow paypal's protocols. I did not mean to offend you by following paypal's instructions but it seems you get offended quite easily....Frankly after you called and cussed at me for calling Randall and hung up instead of asking why I called Randall or looking to solve the issue I was hesitant to send the knife back for a return without some kind of documentation. I was not trying to cause you any problems and I did try to "handle it properly" but you never emailed me back so after a week of waiting I reached out to Randall. Yes it was the 2nd time I called Randall, but the first time was only because I didn't want to ask for a return or refund when you did clearly show the knife in your listing. I was excited to get another Randall, but now I don't ever want to see another one. I am ignorant and fairly new to Randall made knives and their policies or I would not have bothered calling them about the handle the first time. Again I am sorry if I offended you and I wish you could also admit your mistakes and offer an apology. If I wasn't 2,000+ miles away I would come over to your office and offer a handshake and apology for any grief I have caused you but I can't and you won't answer my emails or phone calls. All I wanted was a knife I would be happy with or my refund, and you have the power to give me my refund right this instant and the paypal return will be closed. It's that simple.....
...I said people could "view" the original listing...at the bottom (#150) of my page, which "clearly" shows the original "SOLD" in it! Man-o-man. Talk about a lack of communication. I never said it was for sale or re-sale. Read my response again...As I told you on the phone: "Seeing a how you chose Paypal to resolve this, we'll let Paypal resolve this". I offered you:
* Your money back
* Order you another one
* Full credit on anything RMK I had in stock (70 at the time)
You chose this path.
CCS

...I said people could "view" the original listing...at the bottom (#150) of my page, which "clearly" shows the original "SOLD" in it! Man-o-man. Talk about a lack of communication. I never said it was for sale or re-sale. Read my response again...As I told you on the phone: "Seeing a how you chose Paypal to resolve this, we'll let Paypal resolve this". I offered you:
* Your money back
* Order you another one
* Full credit on anything RMK I had in stock (70 at the time)
You chose this path.
CCS
Lack of communication....., All you got to do is answer your phone and have a conversation with me the way men do instead of going through this avenue. You offered those options and I replied to your email to pursue one of them and I never heard back from you and you wouldn't answer my calls to allow me to pursue any of your options..... At that point I did what I felt was best. Again I am sorry and I only did what paypal said to do for a refund of an item purchased through paypal. If I knew that was going to make you so mad I would have just kept the knife. I just wish you would refund me my money and make this right. Please refund me for the knife I sent back to you. I really wish we could just have this conversation over the phone......

Last edited:
Also I am very sorry to everyone that the title of this thread says "Christ" instead of Chris. It was a mistake and I can't figure out how to edit the title.

Also I am very sorry to everyone that the title of this thread says "Christ" instead of Chris. It was a mistake and I can't figure out how to edit the title.
Fixed that for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back