Buying a new knife, please assist

I am looking at getting a new knife and could use a few pointers. I am pretty much clueless as to what or who makes a quality knife. I am on a budget so something that is relatively cheap would be my best option.

This is what I have determined so far:

-The knife must be a folding knife
-I am attracted to black blades
-I am poor and trying to keep the price around $60 (Canadian)

I have been looking at the “black vapor” and “black chive” by Kershaw? What do you guys think of these? Any better options or manufactures in my limited price range?

Also, I have been looking at Canadian webistes to order from, so far all I can come up with is knifezone.ca. Is there a better website that I could order from?

Thanks for the help everyone...

SOG makes a great folde for around that price range if you shop around and it beats the hell out of a kershaw. I do like the few kershaw's I have owned. If I was getting a Kershaw I would go with a wirlwind with a black straight edge($50 US) . But for the same price I would much rather have a SOG. Whatever you choose stay far far away from the gerbers. I am not a Spyderco fan but that is another direction to look.

Maybe a CRKT M-16 or M-21 Special Forces?

Spyderco native comes in a black blade.
There's Benchmade's Griptilian...

I'll think of some others, but these are in your price range I think

Spyderco's Native.
Black blade available
S-30V
Can be found for around $60 US. Please excuse my ignorance of current exchange rates.

I Appreciate all the help everyone. I'll start looking at the SOGS and Spyderco. I like the looks of a lot of SOGS but some seem to be a little pricey, could just be the sites I'm on though...

If you find one you want email me the model #. I buy knive from a wholesale distibuter and I can tell you the wholesale price. That will help you know whether you are getting a good deal or not.

I have both a silver, black Chive, and an older silver Scallion in combo edge, two Leeks and several others including an old BlackOut. They are great users, all of them. Of all the new Leeks are probably my favorites, but I've had that old Scallion quite a while and gave it a good bit of pocket time. Enough to go through two torsion bar springs. You can't go wrong with those. Personally I prefer Kershaw's serrated pattern over all others available currently. I find it to be just awesome on everything but back to the Chive. I find these to be very high quality knives but a bit small for me.

The Vapor and the Storm II are both two of the best values in cutlery in my opinion. Lots of bang for the buck with either of these. I've got one of each of those also and can personally vouche for the quality of what you get.

Kershaw is second to none in customer service also.

STR

I have a Kershaw Blackout and a Vapor that I like very much.

I don't see the Blackout leaving my EDC rotation any time soon.

The Kershaws you are looking at are great knives for the money. The chive is a little small. The Leek is another one to take a look at if you want an assisted opening knife.

Thank you all for the recommendations.

Can the chive/vapor/leek be opened with the left hand? I forgot to mention that I am left handed...

Buy from New Graham and ans them to tighten the pivot.

For Canada, they are the best. Ok, some place have their knives 5$ under, but they ask 10$ more to ship them.

I buy all my new knives from them (and the others here :) )
You should also consider looking in the "for sale" section.

How about the Benchmade Vex? New Graham has them for $37.50. It has a 3.33" blade, G-10 handle scales and decent blade steel and it is a liner-lock. The blade isn't exactly black, more of a deep charcoal gray, but it seems to be a pretty sturdy coating. I just picked one up at a local sporting goods store last week, and I'm loving it so far. Link to a review I found with some good pictures.

Josh

The CRKT M-21 SF is my current lust- but that will run way more than $50CDN. That will run $65-$130 USD +PP.

You can get a Gerber AR Series linerlock for about $27-$35 USD. That knife has a teflon coated blade, and is available with or without serration and can be had in 3, 3.25, or 3.5 inch blade lengths.

My wife has had a Kershaw Blackout for years. It's a good knife and has never given her any problems. Right now, I have a SOG Flash II in my pocket. I have also carried a variety of Spydercos, they do make good knives.

Frank

Oh, and welcome

A Cold Steel Recon 1 can be had thereabouts. Great tool! The Camillus Heat is also worth a look, robo assist, nice ergos, a useful working blade design. There is always the old faithful Buck 110, won't break the bank and will leave you a little left over for a good meal, or a bit for the purchase of another knife, say a Byrd.

Matador-

Take a look at the Subcom F. It is alot of knife in a small package and well within your price range (30 USD). It is available with black blade affectionately known as the Black Beauty or the Burnt Biscuit

I'll second the call for the Benchmade Griptilian.

You can get a Mini-Griptilian in D2 steel from Cabela's for just a little more than the $60 you listed. It is listed as item number 516109, if you go to www.cabelas.com. They come in black or green handles with a black coated blade.

The Axis lock is ambidextrous, and is considered to be one of the best locking mechanisms on a pocket knife. The D2 steel is a good quality higher-end steel.

The drop point blade is a good all-purpose blade shape.

The Spyderco Native is another good choice (I got the satin model from Walmart for $45), it's a lock-back and comes with S30V steel.

If you are on a budget, go to W-mart and pick up a Kershaw vapor for around 18.00. I just got my 3rd one, love 'em. This is one of the best knife deals ever. It can be opened left handed, (not as easily as right), and the AUS6 will really shine if you drop the edge to something like 7 or 10 deg. per side.

I forgot, you said black. You can get them (black) on the net, you'll just have to pay shipping.

The Vapor II has a 3.5 in. blade and the Vapor has 3 in. blade.

Back