Buying an antique bayonet

Triton

Gold Member
So..l have decided that I want to get my hands on a ww1 1917 enfield rifle bayonet. There is an online retailer selling "originals" for about 200 dollars. There is also a wide range of prices available on eBay. My problem is I do not know what are good indicators of authenticity. That tells me I probably should not be buying until I am better educated on the subject.

With that in mind can you folks tell me what to look for and /or point me to some appropriate Reference material?

Can't help you on a 1917. I have a couple Wilkinson 1907's. Got them when I was a kid for fifty cents each around 1965. No sheath. Sunny's Surplus in Washington, D.C. They had a couple hundred in a bin, pristine shape.

Can't help you on a 1917. I have a couple Wilkinson 1907's. Got them when I was a kid for fifty cents each around 1965. No sheath. Sunny's Surplus in Washington, D.C. They had a couple hundred in a bin, pristine shape.

Edit: wonky error message, so double post. Oops.

Thanks for that link SteelJunkee :cool::thumbsup:. It only took me a minute to find all the information on a bayonet and riffle that was given to me by my farther after it was given to him by his uncle. This place is a wealth of information thanks to input like that
ciaX4NH.jpg
Now if I could only find a link for reading Japanese so I could read this soldiers name.
feCK6vp.jpg
nDRvn1o.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that link SteelJunkee :cool::thumbsup:. It only took me a minute to find all the information on a bayonet and riffle that was given to me by my farther after it was given to him by his uncle. This place is a wealth of information thanks to input like that

It`s beautiful and in very good shape :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

How cool is that!

I'm sorry for my short name brain yesterday. Yes it is Gary Cunningham. He has passed but his site is still on line and is being maintained I think. Good site, will explain most anything you need to know about the bayonet you are looking to aquire. Sorry about my mixup name.

Back