Buying different variations of a knife design until you get what you want

I've done this enough times that I'm wondering if this isn't too unusual. I know there are people who get different versions of the same knife models because they want them all, and no judgement there. What I've done over the years is try different versions of the same or similar designs until I get something closer to my ideal of that general design. I typically don't hold onto the knives that don't quite check the boxes.

Here are some examples:

Waved PM2: I've tried 2 different Endura Waves and a Delica Wave in the past. I kept having problems with the locks failing to properly engage, especially when using the wave. The issue for me was the lock back. When the exclusive for a PM2 in a waved version came out, I knew immediately I wanted one. I've had a Paramilitary model in my rotation for maybe 12 years now and have never had an issue with the compression lock. I also just love the PM2 design, so this is pretty ideal for me.

DKRkajOh.jpg

I just bought a Koenig Knives Mini Goblin for the 2nd time. The hollow grind on them makes it so it's super thin just behind the edge. It also makes the tip very thin. Some people like that, but it's too thin for my taste. That's why I really like the flat ground version. I knew that if I could just get a thicker grind, the knife would be a favorite of mine. And it is.

Hollow ground version:
6KSR9ICh.jpg

Flat ground:
ZwxsSK8h.jpg

I too have owned several waved Spydercos and sold them off. Got the waved PM2 and it really does the wave right, super easy deployment. If course I really don't need a waved knife but liked the look and the thicker blade. What thus w hole experience taught me though was that I missed owning my Emersions so had to get a few once again.....unwaved this time.....

Nope. The main reason is financial. Money to buy knives is part of my toy fund. My toy fund also covers firearms, ammo, gear, etc. So an AR build or handgun purchase tends to stop my knife buying for months at a time.

As for waved knives. Tried em. Didn't really like em. I don't need a knife to deploy that fast and it seemed to tear up the top of my pockets.

Not a fan of waved knives, but I've done this with other knives and firearms. Buy a few different varieties of a certain style until I find the one that really makes my socks go up and down, then sell off the ones that didn't. Then that one goes into the keeper pile.

Nope. The main reason is financial. Money to buy knives is part of my toy fund. My toy fund also covers firearms, ammo, gear, etc. So an AR build or handgun purchase tends to stop my knife buying for months at a time.

As for waved knives. Tried em. Didn't really like em. I don't need a knife to deploy that fast and it seemed to tear up the top of my pockets.

Yeah, I try not to spend too much money. I sell off the ones that I don't quite like, so although I do tend to spend a little more than if I started just with the knife I really like, it's usually not a lot more. I figure the difference is the cost of finding what I like.

I've done this with the CRKT Pilar because I love the design so much, but I'm just saddened by the build. I'm not so much trying to find a design version a like more, but rather, trying to find a specimen of this amazing design that I find satisfactory.

Started off with a basic one, then swapped it for the Large D2/G10 version, added on an S35VN/CF version. Both are modded in hopes of improving it. I'm still keeping an eye out for one of those rare small D2/G10 ones (CRKT's S35VN is pretty poor, but their D2 is quite decent).

I have many different variations of Jack format knives and many different variations of pen format knives, and a few actual pen pattern knives.
I have found my favorite Jack knife, my favorite pen format knife, and my favorite classic pen pattern knife.

Found ones I was perfectly happy with early on, but had to experience others to find the true favorites.

My current mid-tech collection features quite a few maker pairs. If I buy one knife from a maker, and love it, I gotta try another model. Based on laying them all out it seems to be large and small pairs!
LJUCFbc.jpg

My super scientific research has yielded the following results:
  • Hinderer XM18: 3" came first and is one of the smoothest washer knives I have ever felt (after lots of break in). I got the 3.5" and the 3" just didn't make any sense anymore! Both are very robust knives but the 3.5 form factor, plus that wicked cool Bowie blade, make this in the only knife I will grab when I know I need a knife I can trust in any use.
  • CRK Sebenza: Large came first. I bought it second hand from a great local gun shop totally on impulse. I had never handled a CRK before and I knew the CF inlays can be hard to find. Additionally, these are literally the most perfect lay I have seen in any CF Sebenza. I had to try the small! I carry the small significantly more. Sans clip in the CRK leather slip. I find it very classy, and a perfect execution of a small gentleman's pocket knife.
  • Shiro 95 and NeOn: Bought the 95 first. NeOn second. The jury is still out on these and I probably carry them equally. The NeOn is great for athletic shorts, very light, and disappears in the pocket. The 95 makes me grin like a f@ckin' psychopath. A coworker was standing behind me while I was flipping it and asked to see it. He grinned like a f@ckin' psychopath too :D
  • SBD Void and EVO: EVO first and Void second. I prefer the evo for real world use, but the void is more "drop shutty". Full flat blades work great for what I cut at work, so I carry it a lot more.
  • Olamic Swish and Busker: The Busker was my first semi-custom/mid-tech knife. I carried it at my wedding as my "something blue". Super fidget friendly. Great for light summer shorts or a bar that might consider this non-threatening. The Swish is a big and beautiful knife. I am always drawn to blue but don't carry the Swish much because it has a funny pocket profile :confused:

Reactions: JAB
I bought an Ontario Rat 2 D2 and for EDC it's great. I like the feel of the handle and the style of blade. Now I want the big brother the RAT 1 for work.

Back