Off Topic by special request: Snarkalicious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Salem, Oregon. The eclipse is going to effectively make my life hell. So no, not all that excited to see it. ODOT is predicting the biggest "traffic event" in our state's history. The cleanup that will occur after the mass exodus is going to be a monolithic task all by itself. The other thing that really blows, is that the day of the eclipse is also my wedding anniversary. So unless my wife and I travel out of state well before the influx of eclipse chasers, we will be stuck at home.....

I'm not bitter about this at all.... :rolleyes:

I hadn't even thought about traffic. I'll have to put that into my figuring.

What kind of cleanup are they anticipating needing to be done? Garbage on the side of the road? Cars stuck and burned out?

There was this fun day outside my then neighborhood, that I'd just as soon avoid...
rita-496x331-e3bce7cd1ff236d0556,750,470,0,0.jpg

http://www.politico.com/magazine/gallery/2014/01/the-10-worst-traffic-jams-ever-000019?slide=2

I really like the Toyota trucks, but I'm more of a Dodge guy personally. I'm still driving my first truck, a '90 Dodge Dakota. The way it's preformed has thoroughly sold me on Dodge. I've done s**t in it that should probably never be done in a little 2wd pickup, and it's still running great.

I really like the Toyota trucks, but I'm more of a Dodge guy personally. I'm still driving my first truck, a '90 Dodge Dakota. The way it's preformed has thoroughly sold me on Dodge. I've done s**t in it that should probably never be done in a little 2wd pickup, and it's still running great.

Let's see some pics!

My father is a dodge and jeep man. Step brother is a Ford guy. Brother in law is a Chevy guy. We trash talk each other all the time.

Now if i was getting a full size truck I'd go Chevy all day!! The new special edition silverado is clean! But for a midsize truck i preferred the taco over the Colorado.

My father actually tried getting me to get a new ram when i totaled the first tacoma. I went and looked at them an jeeps... But still went back to the taco.

Haha!! Most lifted 4x4s these days are nothing but pavement princesses, mall crawlers, walmart warriors, concrete creations, asphalt adventure rigs etc.

They add winches, LED lights, huge tires, lift the front higher then the rear and then go cruise Wal-Mart! The only time they go "off road" is on county/state maintained forrest roads and even then it's just long enough to take a picture for facebook!

My "status message" on another forum is

"What you consider off-roading, I consider driving home!"

I went off roading in my 2wd all the time... But also got stuck 3 times. I didn't have rear lockers either. They would of helped.

There's places i go now there's no making it without 4wd... Even with 4wd people get stuck pretty often. And some public places only let you in if you have a 4x4.

For most people though, 4WD is not needed anymore these days... For me... A requirement from now on.

Haha!! Most lifted 4x4s these days are nothing but pavement princesses, mall crawlers, walmart warriors, concrete creations, asphalt adventure rigs etc.

They add winches, LED lights, huge tires, lift the front higher then the rear and then go cruise Wal-Mart! The only time they go "off road" is on county/state maintained forrest roads and even then it's just long enough to take a picture for facebook!

My "status message" on another forum is

"What you consider off-roading, I consider driving home!"

I went off roading in my 2wd all the time... But also got stuck 3 times. I didn't have rear lockers either. They would of helped.

There's places i go now there's no making it without 4wd... Even with 4wd people get stuck pretty often. And some public places only let you in if you have a 4x4.

For most people though, 4WD is not needed anymore these days... For me... A requirement from now on.

I've only gotten stuck twice and luckily I was able to get myself out both times.

My dad had a friend who worked for the state geological survey, who would have to drive these little dirt tracks all over the state in all kinds of weather. He drove a little manual ford ranger, and carried an axe, shovel, sledgehammer, some concrete stakes, a come along, a high lift jack and some chains. He said in 30 years of doing it he never got in a situation that he couldn't get out of with those tools.

Heck, I've been stuck in mud so deep I couldn't get out without help ... on my feet.
I was riding my 125 along a dirt road in the hills right after a lot of rain. I came around a turn a bit fast only to find the road washed out. So I swerved into the uphill side of the washed out road, right into a quagmire. The bike sank in up to the engine and frame with me in it up to my knees. I stayed there for a good many minutes before someone happened along to help out.

Last edited:
Wife left for Canada a few hours ago. Sure is quiet around here. I think I'm going to the cabin tomorrow. She won't be home until Friday, and I can't picture sitting around here all day. Supposed to rain down there tomorrow, but the temps will be in the 70's. The next few days after that will be nice. It does get lonely there too, when by yourself.

I only consider it as "stuck" when you need a pull from someone else...

I can't even count how many times i have had to get out and dig a tire down, throw some wood/brush and crap under tires for more traction, deflate tires, or remove a tree to continue on my journey haha!!

All part of the fun!!

Me and Battle went on our evening walk a little bit ago... We go anywhere from a mile to 3 depending on the weather and how we feel... Today we were exploring a new area of woods and i found a TON of fat lighter.

Once i get it all here and cut into sections I'll take a picture... But I'm talking hundreds of pounds.

Disclosure... It was on my old high school buddy / neighbors land... They have 75 acres, all woods, I have full permission to take all the fatwood i want. I'm not just stealing it from the forest LOL

I rock out in a little '90 Toyota Pickup. Regular cab, 4x4, 5 speed. I bought it a couple years ago with only 108k original miles on it.

It's a little badass that gets me pretty much anywhere I want to go.

I'm a big Toyota fan. I'll get pics here when I can.

My daily may be considered a street queen, full size trucks arent meant to be extreme 4 wheeling.. mudding and the likes no prob but they are to big for serious work.. I drive a Duramax crew cab 4x4,and my first cars were Chevy.. my dad and uncle worked for GM even though they all drove whatever they could afford by any maker..That said i grew up when kids bought, fixed up and raced hot rods... I paid 1500 for my 65 Malibu SS original paint etc... paying that now you may buy the ralley sport hub caps... Owned all kinds of cars/trucks in my life but I am Chevy biased just not branded...

ahh the good ol days

Heck, I've been stuck in mud so deep I couldn't get out without help ... on my feet.
I was riding my 125 along a dirt road in the hills right after a lot of rain. I came around a turn a bit fast only to find the road washed out. So I swerved into the uphill side of the washed out road, right into a quagmire. The bike sank in up to the engine and frame with me in it up to my knees. I stayed there for a good many minutes before someone happened along to help out.

A picture of a picture of my old 65 Willys Overland in the swamp. Osceola National forest Lake City FL

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153781516@N05/

Finally gave in, after going to the skatepark with my kids for years, hacking around on my old board, and still doing better than them... New board, new protection, first drop in in 28 years on my 46th birthday. What could possibly go wrong? :D

Q0WN3Tbb.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back