Off Topic by special request: Snarkalicious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'ld rather have 220 power. If you only plan on joining 1/8" steel, then maybe. In arc-welding, the axiom holds true, "Go big, or go home." Sooner or later, (usually sooner) you want/need to weld thick material, plate thickness, or a homogeneous assembly that amounts to thick material. Tradewater's Lincoln Idealarc is the proverbial 400 pound gorilla, really nice example too!

I'd rather have 220 power as well -- and eventually I will, once I can find time to run power out to the shop building in progress, wire it, and finish closing it in.
until that point, I have access to 110/120V circuits.

I'd rather have 220 power as well -- and eventually I will, once I can find time to run power out to the shop building in progress, wire it, and finish closing it in.
until that point, I have access to 110/120V circuits.

Underground or overhead?

Good morning my fellow hooligans and reprobates! What kind of shenanigans does the day hold for all the rest of you?

Good morning my fellow hooligans and reprobates! What kind of shenanigans does the day hold for all the rest of you?
Work.

I have the Hobart Handler 140. It works well. I am NOT a welding expert but it has built a few winch bumpers and welded in a few shock mounts. I built a tow bar for a Tacoma to tow behind my motor home too. I haven't had a weld fail yet. That Tacoma was towed all over the place and the shock mounts an the Samurai have taken a good pounding. I have mostly welded 1/8 and 3/16 with it and on some of the more structural welds I have been able to weld on both sides of the joint.

I wish the power knob was continuous and not just 4 settings.

I only had 110 at my last house which is why I got it. It also seemed like a good machine to learn on. I have 220 now so one of these days I will pick up a 220 Lincoln arc welder. Between the two Ill have all I need.

This hooligan is making PB&J sandwiches, washing dishes and watching cartoons. We might play in the sand box a little before it gets too hot. Ah, the life of a stay at home dad. ;)

This hooligan is making PB&J sandwiches, washing dishes and watching cartoons. We might play in the sand box a little before it gets too hot. Ah, the life of a stay at home dad. ;)

You just like it because you don't get weird looks when you use your Becker to smear gooey goodness across two slices of bread.

it is - only about 100 feet.
the longest pull I ever did by hand was around 600' -- we used a LOT of slime for that one.

it is - only about 100 feet.
the longest pull I ever did by hand was around 600' -- we used a LOT of slime for that one.

100 feet? Holy **** on that. The last time I did one even half that long, I strung the wire through the individual conduit components first after figuring out how much was needed, then assembled them all before putting it underground. That saved a lot of effort on the back.

The one before that was the worst I've done yet though. The wire was fat and stiff, there was no chance of getting it through by hand, so we had to use a small excavator to pull it on through, all while still using a copious amount of soapy water for lubrication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back