Bye Bye Pocket Clips!

The chain is attached to a Victorinox stainless steel belt loop (not an open on back clip that could come off).
most of the chain hangs in a "U" shape loop between the belt loop and RFP. Only 4 to 6 inches of the chain in in my pocket. To date, the only think it catches on is the height adjustment knob on my desk chair, and that only occasionally.

The chain is long enough, and/or my arm is short enough (I'm deformed) I don't have to take the knife off the lanyard when I use the knife. :)

View attachment 1442980
That is a great solution. Thank you for the pic. If I understand correctly, it is never disconnected from your belt, even in use. I may try an iteration of your solution with another belt clip I have and paracord, which will mostly get shoved in my picket with the knife. I have dropped a knife where it is not easily recovered enough times. But having it still attached will be a beautiful thing. Thank You!

That is a great solution. Thank you for the pic. If I understand correctly, it is never disconnected from your belt, even in use. I may try an iteration of your solution with another belt clip I have and paracord, which will mostly get shoved in my picket with the knife. I have dropped a knife where it is not easily recovered enough times. But having it still attached will be a beautiful thing. Thank You!
Check out the GEC Boys Knife with Bail & Chain - built right into the knife (and, unlike most GEC knives, these didn't sell out instantly and some dealers still have them in stock). I think they're cool, but don't think I'd ever actually carry one.

-Tyson

nope, not me. prefer a pocket clip. one of the best idears in the knife world for ease of access. far better than pocket carry digging around looking for the knife. change stuck in it. full of lint. scratched up even worse for no good reason and not even from use. even on a traditional knife like my favorites the 110.....three examples1603590766953549511216268407239.jpg

16035911314185487117243348025145.jpg

Pocket clips are great. I carry all sizes of knives and i never notice them, maybe the rest of you need new pants.

I like clips......
I would lose knives when they fell out of my pockets when working or sitting.
( Some pants have shallow pockets)
Haven't lost one yet using a clip.
Clips are an option......carry what is best for you.

If a knife has a ~3" or longer blade and doesn't have a clip for tip up carry, I'm not going to buy it.
When the knives are that big I’ll carry then in a belt pouch.

n2s
The guy is talking about a 3" blade knife. You'd opt to put a delica in a belt pouch rather than use the pocket clip because the knife is too big and you don't like clips? Cuz, that is what your post says in the context of what you quoted...

nope, not me. prefer a pocket clip. one of the best idears in the knife world for ease of access. far better than pocket carry digging around looking for the knife. change stuck in it. full of lint. scratched up even worse for no good reason and not even from use. even on a traditional knife like my favorites the 110.....three examplesView attachment 1443295

View attachment 1443302
Yup. I love pocket clips. Keeps things orderly in my pocket. I don't mind honest wear from use, but dings and scratches just from banging in to stuff in my pockets? Not necessary.

The guy is talking about a 3" blade knife. You'd opt to put a delica in a belt pouch rather than use the pocket clip because the knife is too big and you don't like clips? Cuz, that is what your post says in the context of what you quoted...

The only thing that I have consistently carried with pocket clips are ballpoint pens, and over the years they have often suffered bent clips, been lost, and have frayed many pockets. Knives are similar, with the added negative that you end up advertising to the world that you are carrying a knife, which can be an easy to steal item of value, a politically incorrect hassle in the workplace, and perhaps an open invitation for legal harassment.

I usually carry a slip joint, or a smaller tactical folder in pocket. Anything larger than that goes into a belt pouch, jacket pocket, or similar location on a pack or fanny pack. The knife is safely carried that way, I needn’t worry about keys or pocket change damaging the knife, light detents or assisted opening exposing an edge, and it is easy to find and use even with gloved hands.

Pocket clips are a solution, but not the only solution, and for many of us far from the best.

n2s

The only thing that I have consistently carried with pocket clips are ballpoint pens, and over the years they have often suffered bent clips, been lost, and have frayed many pockets. Knives are similar, with the added negative that you end up advertising to the world that you are carrying a knife, which can be an easy to steal item of value, a politically incorrect hassle in the workplace, and perhaps an open invitation for legal harassment.

I usually carry a slip joint, or a smaller tactical folder in pocket. Anything larger than that goes into a belt pouch, jacket pocket, or similar location on a pack or fanny pack. The knife is safely carried that way, I needn’t worry about keys or pocket change damaging the knife, light detents or assisted opening exposing an edge, and it is easy to find and use even with gloved hands.

Pocket clips are a solution, but not the only solution, and for many of us far from the best.

n2s
So.....delica in a belt pouch then?

yyFKM3i2XuWLuzhq7

I have found that I really do not use my pocket clips and have been tossing my folders in my pocket for years. Recently, I have started removing the clips , putting them in a zip log bag where they will likely remain as I do not miss them a bit. My knives without the clips are far more comfortable. Anyone else here remove their pocket clips?
For me the knife ends up sideways in the bottom of my pocket very uncomfortable then that pocket becomes useless for anything else

No clips. I’m right handed, carry knife in left pocket, small monkey fist fob sticks out of pocket and keeps knife upright.

I generally carry 3 1/2 to 4 inch bladed folders clipped inside my waist band behind my belt, hidden from view . Out of the way of my pocket items.
Occasionally I ll carry a small 3 inch folder in my pocket. I have been known to inadvertently pull my knife out with my keys and drop it on the ground. Much better with iwb carry.

Some knives need a clip.

I have found that a large Griptilian needs a clip because I use it to help me open and close the blade.

Pocket slip is the way I carry my knife. Doesn’t turn in the pocket and is super discreet. If the knife is thin enough, it is also very comfortable to carry. Since I do leather I can always make custom slip for any knife! :D

I'm super torn about this, myself. Most pocketclips really get in the way with prolonged use. But a lot of knives also tend to move around your pocket a lot when not clipped, which is a pain if you want to put something else in that pocket with it. I also have some hiking pants with a dedicated pocket for a clipped folder.

I guess it depends on the situation I'm in. For EDC knives that will only see a few cuts a day, a clip is preferred. But if I'm using it more than that, than I'd prefer to go clipless. Ofcourse, for prolonged use, one could make the case for a fixed blade.

And then there's also a belt pouch, like the one the buck 110 rides in. It's quite practical, but I don't like the way it looks. (It stands out like a sore thumb, especially to non-knife people). For daily carry, I usually don't like to advertise that I'm carrying a knife.

Back