Byrd 1 vs Byrd 2

I've noticed people stating that their Byrd 2 has some.play in the lockup or hinge. I have a Byrd Robin 1 I have carried as my traveling knife for over a decade. In reality that means almost 100% of the time (it resides in my pocket / clip deleted) as I just add a second larger knife when legalities allow. It came with zero play in the blade in any dimension and a decade later is still the same.

Is the play simple.production variation or did it start with the "2" or whenever Spyderco changed suppliers (I seem to remember Sal saying that changed after mine was built)?

I own a Byrd Hawkbill and a serrated Byrd Robin, both have zero blade play in any direction. Both are of course gen 2.

I have byrd hawkbill and Cara Cara 2 stainless. Smooth and no play both vertical and horizontal.
My Cara Cara 2 FRN (4 of them) had no play either if memory serves me right. Sold them and missed them.

Sal did mention on Spyderco byrd subforum that they did change the Cara Cara maker years ago.

I have byrd hawkbill and Cara Cara 2 stainless. Smooth and no play...

I wish my little Robin was still smooth. It still has zero play, perfect centering and is smooth if I open it left handed. Right handed is now notchy. I think I have worn grooves with the side force of right handed opening over a decade. If memory serves I paid $13 so I guess I've gotten my moneys worth.

Last edited:
Back