C. Kelly Custom Knives (partial Gallery of my work)

C.Kelly Custom Knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Recently I developed a new fixed EDC size knife that I intend to use while backpacking. However, the overall design is intended to be an EDC size knife that can handle whatever the day may bring while being especially well suited for those playing or working in or around water. The acute piercing point is for making the initial puncture of a fish belly (for fish cleaning) easier. Easier also means safer and that's important in the wilderness. The piercing tip is also especially good for dispatching (brain stabbing) ocean fish when needed. The blade-handle orientation allows for the entire blade edge to be used fully in all types of cuts, including cutting on a horizontal surface (like a cutting board). This makes it convenient for cutting bait and eating dinner as well. The steel is stain-proof LC200N and I will offer future models in Vanax. The handle materials are all water stable materials and the pinned bolster is nickel silver.
I first made a prototype to work out the last few details. This is the prototype.. I use AEB-L for most of my protypes because it's cheap and easy and still results in a knife worth keeping. For anyone that doesn't know..AEB-L is extremely good quality steel for the price.
gwi8Rail.jpg

MSnT294l.jpg

After using the prototype for about 2 weeks I decided on the final refinements. I was looking at things like spine thickness, and ergonomics mostly. Most of the changes were very small and had to do with handle shaping. I decide to go with a gently rounded forward section and increased the "hook on the bird's beak" holding the pinky finger among a few other things.

Here is the prototype next to the final design.
sfRTX63l.jpg

Etepbp1l.jpg

The Heron
c9fwUphl.jpg

7Y30HjOl.jpg

FKocdbIl.jpg

yXpApXIl.jpg

nYmOTavl.jpg

eagDxZ8l.jpg

y7Pu3trl.jpg

j7ZPkksl.jpg

3IPoHl7l.jpg

C.Kelly Custom Knives

The person who purchased the first Heron runs a fishing boat in Florida and spends time in the Bahamas during the Summer. He wanted to be able to use the Heron while diving as well as while exploring island shallows on foot. Also, his preference was to attach it to his lower leg while diving. He asked if I would make an extra sheath that would accommodate these activities. Although the Heron is definitely not designed to be a dive knife, I did my best to design a sheath/rig that would perform well in the scenarios that he suggested.
My goals were to keep the knife held securely, to keep his leg safe while re-sheathing the knife in dark water, and to make it comfortable to walk with it on his leg.
After 3 attempts I had the design working the way I wanted.

iJBOhmRl.jpg

I made the support structure out of nylon webbing and used neoprene to make it comfortable. The holstex sheath sits in a neoprene pocket and is anchored to an anodized titanium triangle. The hook and loop leg straps use custom made anodized titanium rings as well. After testing in the surf I was very pleased with the overall functionality and very pleasantly surprised that it was so comfortable I could jog with it and just walking around I could easily forget it was there.

AMsFN74l.jpg

asBREUsl.jpg

31w5YwQl.jpg

8RFv50Ml.jpg

afbIWqel.png

kdwZdEql.jpg

My friend Lance commissioned me to make him a large filet of his own design. I don't make knives for people who want me to make their design, Lance is the one exception. He gave me free-reign to do whatever I wanted with the handle so since he's a big-shot kayak fishing guy :p I decided to try to emulate an ocean wave between the bolster and the handle body.
The knife is CMP20CV.
MPNRRl7l.jpg

enWjNsel.jpg
Excellent fitting work on the wave.

C.Kelly Custom Knives

Heron #002 finally complete!
This one is Vanax with a handle made from jade G10, white G10 and marbled carbon fiber. The bolster is nickel silver. There is one small refinement on this one. The bolster is moved forward about 2.5mm. This one also has an alternate jimping pattern that I will use on occasion.

r3lqrJvl.jpg

u5iJho1l.jpg

GyLT5cQl.jpg

1fqUYybl.jpg

y7cGjtOl.jpg

HNz9ykjl.jpg

Last edited:

C.Kelly Custom Knives

I took a 2 hour break away from working on the current knife in my shop and made a couple scraps into something useful (hopefully). This weekend I'll be headed to the John Muir Wilderness to spend a few days in the back-country and even though I typically fish with flies 95% of the time in high mountain areas, I made myself a pair of lures to bring along just in case windy or rainy conditions require me to put the flies away.

One is 6/4 Ti, the other is white timascus.

Owxm7N4l.jpg

egsjJMLl.jpg

iiF3Pmll.jpg

Hopefully they make it back with me at the end of the trip...but we'll see...😕

Last edited: