1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

CA concealed weapon permit

Discussion in 'Knife Laws' started by lamepro, Oct 21, 2010.

1. lamepro

lamepro

Jul 11, 2008
    this is going to be a stupid question but i figured i might as well ask it. is it at all possible to get a concealed weapons permit for a knife?

2. glistam

glistam

Dec 27, 2004
    No. Main reason being it's not called a "concealed weapons permit" (a popular but misleading term for such permits) but rather it's called "License to Carry Concealed Pistol, Revolver, or Other Firearm Within the State of California"

http://www.usacarry.com/california_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

Note however that many knives are perfectly legal to carry concealed in CA, so a permit is not needed.

3. kharper90

kharper90

Sep 4, 2010
    what knife are you trying to carry concealed if you dont mind me asking? all folding knives accept for switchblades can be carried concealed in cali. there isnt even a length limit for the state as a whole (some cities have a limit). only thing that has to be open carry is a fixed blade

4. grolaw

grolaw

Nov 8, 2004
    The law does not provide for knives.
    CAL. BPC. CODE ยง 7583.23 : California Code - Section 7583.23 http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/BPC/1/d3/11.5/4/s7583.23
    The weapon is a firearm and the permit is for a firearm (up to three and you must qualify with each).

Those Kuboton/pen devices are expressly illegal and a felony to OWN. You can carry almost any knife in CA as long as it is a visible carry - sheath or pouch - but "daggers and dirks" are illegal.

I'd rather carry my .380 than my Microtech Ultratech. Better reach with the .380 Walther (Interarms).

5. lamepro

lamepro

Jul 11, 2008
    kubatons are illegal? or batons are?

6. glistam

glistam

Dec 27, 2004
    Batons are. Penal Code 12020 makes it illegal to possess any "blackjack, slungshot, billy, sandclub, sap, or sandbag." There is an exception for security professionals to have "wooden clubs or batons."

Due to the phrasing of this law, it is unlikely to apply to a kubotan. Further, any laws against kubotans (regardless of where you live) are for all practical purposes unenforceable. It's a cylinder slightly longer than your hand. To ban these is to ban pens, pencils, flashlights and numerous automotive and plumbing parts.

7. MORIMOTOM

MORIMOTOM

Oct 29, 2005
    blackjacks and the like are loaded with shot or some other material to provide greater force upon impact.

standard kubotans are just pieces of plastic or resin, and are not impact weapons as defined. they can be used to strike with the ends, but not swung like other impact weapons.

at the point a kubotan becomes large enough to be an impact weapon, it is a baton.

if kubotans are in fact illegal, i am not aware of any law prohibiting them nor am i aware of any interpretation of existing law prohibiting them.

8. medusaoblongata

medusaoblongata

May 1, 2000
    Where there start to be legal concerns is where metal koppo sticks or ninja keychains (kubotans with spikes perpendicular to the shaft like this one: http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/urdefense_2129_52169298) begin to look like they might meet the definition of "metal knuckles" (12020c7). Otherwise kubotans are perfectly legal to carry/conceal.