CA Glue Source

Hey Guys,

I want to put a nice shiny finish on a burlap micarta slipjoint i'm currently working on. I know this material leaves voids.

Does any one no of a good source and brand they could recommend?

Thanks,

BobbyIMG_8169.JPG

Your local hobby store should have better/ fresher CA than your typical “super glue” brand sold everywhere. For CA, fresher is definitely better.

Thanks for the information guys
I use this one , it is water resistant ............. it dry much slowly then regular CA which is not water resistant
rXmVSWo.jpg

Your local hobby store should have better/ fresher CA than your typical “super glue” brand sold everywhere. For CA, fresher is definitely better.
And once you opened it to keep it fresher store it in the fridge :)

Most RC hobby shops sell it in several thicknesses .... and in black. Woodcraft sells these, too. I really like the black CA fro working on black micarta handles.

The Michael's near me has about 50 different versions and brands of CA glue. Quite impressive

For cheap run of the mill stuff where its not important I get some at Walmart. But when I need the good stuff I get locktite brand CA glue in the blue bottle

Locktite, Satellite City, Tightbond, etc. The main name brands are all pretty much the same quality.

The Michael's near me has about 50 different versions and brands of CA glue. Quite impressive

For cheap run of the mill stuff where its not important I get some at Walmart. But when I need the good stuff I get locktite brand CA glue in the blue bottle

Thanks Backyard

I know this material leaves voids.

Bobby,

Just to add to the madness, I have been using the techniques outlined in the linked thread from the Fiddleback Forge subforum, to finish burlap, canvas and linen micarta handles with great results.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/repairing-micarta.1477843/

I have found that burlap always leave voids. To me that's not a problem, just the nature of the material. I also like the bit of "grippiness" they impart. That may only be my perception, but there it is.

One thing I can't stress enough is the Howard's Feed-n-Wax, this stuff makes all micarta handles look gorgeous! It seems to add depth to the burlap in particular. After the shine wears off a bit, just a little dab will bring the beauty right back.

I'll see if I can come up with some pictures after work of the results, don't have any here at work.

Good luck which ever route you go!

Adam

Bobby,

Just to add to the madness, I have been using the techniques outlined in the linked thread from the Fiddleback Forge subforum, to finish burlap, canvas and linen micarta handles with great results.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/repairing-micarta.1477843/

I have found that burlap always leave voids. To me that's not a problem, just the nature of the material. I also like the bit of "grippiness" they impart. That may only be my perception, but there it is.

One thing I can't stress enough is the Howard's Feed-n-Wax, this stuff makes all micarta handles look gorgeous! It seems to add depth to the burlap in particular. After the shine wears off a bit, just a little dab will bring the beauty right back.

I'll see if I can come up with some pictures after work of the results, don't have any here at work.

Good luck which ever route you go!

Adam

Thanks Adam

POPS knife supply THIN works well Also Great Planes brand thin
Great Planes thin works very well in everything RC related. Get some of the debonder too. Thin CA is a great way to glue yourself together. Ask me how I know.....

Back