ca minor knife laws

Welcome to Bladeforums.

I've lived in San Diego for the better part of 50 years, and I know California knife laws almost by heart. San Diego doesn't have it's own local knife laws, we only have the state laws.

As a minor it is legal under state law for you to carry that knife in San Diego (city and county). California state law has no prohibitions on minors carrying knives. However, you are not permitted to carry or possess that knife on any school property grades kindergarten through 12th without permission from school administrators (and I don't advise asking). Don't carry on school property, period, even if it's not your school.

You are also not permitted to carry it in any government buildings like courthouses etc. Of course those types of places have metal detectors so carrying it there would not be possible anyways. Also, don't carry it into an airport.

Furthermore, it would be illegal for you to carry that knife concealed with the blade open and locked in the open position. If a folding knife is carried concealed in California, it must be carried closed in order to be legal.

That's the legal stuff. On a personal note, I hope a parent or guardian is playing a part in your decision to carry a knife. But I don't want to be a hypocrite, as a minor I owned and carried several knives without my parents knowing, so I cant presume to tell you what to do. The fact that you are here asking about what is legal is a good sign.

Last edited:
Welcome to Bladeforums.

I've lived in San Diego for the better part of 50 years, and I know California knife laws almost by heart. San Diego doesn't have it's own local knife laws, we only have the state laws.

As a minor it is legal under state law for you to carry that knife in San Diego (city and county). California state law has no prohibitions on minors carrying knives. However, you are not permitted to carry or possess that knife on any school property grades kindergarten through 12th without permission from school administrators (and I don't advise asking). Don't carry on school property, period, even if it's not your school.

You are also not permitted to carry it in any government buildings like courthouses etc. Of course those types of places have metal detectors so carrying it there would not be possible anyways. Also, don't carry it into an airport.

Furthermore, it would be illegal for you to carry that knife concealed with the blade open and locked in the open position. If a folding knife is carried concealed in California, it must be carried closed in order to be legal.

That's the legal stuff. On a personal note, I hope a parent or guardian is playing a part in your decision to carry a knife. But I don't want to be a hypocrite, as a minor I owned and carried several knives without my parents knowing, so I cant presume to tell you what to do. The fact that you are here asking about what is legal is a good sign.

Thank you, killgar. I just wanted to make a present for my nephew.

Back