Cabela's Fake

That's true it's a possibility, but then when you bring it to their attention and they put it back in the case without trying to verify...
Well yes sounds like a lazy employee right there that should be dealt with I am just making a point that Cabela's as a company is a bit removed from this instance. I suspect it is probably a kid working a summer job who doesn't care about his job.

Well yes sounds like a lazy employee right there that should be dealt with I am just making a point that Cabela's as a company is a bit removed from this instance. I suspect it is probably a kid working a summer job who doesn't care about his job.

Idk if they are "removed from it" whatsoever, it was found on their shelves and looks new. You have a theory which is unproven. Until it's addressed or I see something addressing the issue, I'll remain suspect of their products.
If it makes them feel better I'm usually suspect of stuff anyway until I trust the vendor, but even then I try to pay attention.

Although the employee may not be interested, which is wrong, it's not his sole responsibility to ensure what products they carry are authentic. He should have pulled the product and called attention to it, but there are superiors, people whose jobs are ordered and ensuring quality, and policies in place that are supposed to protect the consumer and their overall brand.

I might expect it from a far lesser store, but not a big store like that.

From my time in big box I know what the response to a customer claiming that a product that looks "just like" the one that used to be there would be.
I imagine someone claiming a cross pen or HP printer to be a fake would be appeased until they left so the item could stay where it "belongs".

I remember trying to show someone that the returned software had an old disc or the ink refills were an off brand and the response was always rolled eyes.
Luckily I was the department manager and could remove anything from inventory that I wanted but if I hadn't been there...
I wouldn't read too much into it unless someone talked to the manager and was still dismissed (which also has happened). I'd suggest pictures to prove the point as well.
Sadly the front line in retail is hardly ever someone interested in what they do.

Honestly would not be surprised if once and a while a min-wage warehouse guy thinks... I can make a buck or two by swapping these fakes in, and ebaying the real ones. From the short time I was in retail, the one universal was that employees were smarter than customers... or at least they were in their own minds.

I sent Cabelas Customer service an email and they responded rather quickly:

"I have passed this information on to the retail store management for further review on the knives. I am certain that if something is incorrect or counterfeit within the inventory, it was not done intentionally. We will look into this further to avoid any issues."

It's crazy how they'd let something like that slip through. Once in a great while you'll find someone who actually knows something about what they're selling, though most of the time they don't have a clue.

Always made me chuckle when the employee would give me that "Uhhh" face when asked a simple question about their wares.

Idk if they are "removed from it" whatsoever, it was found on their shelves and looks new. You have a theory which is unproven. Until it's addressed or I see something addressing the issue, I'll remain suspect of their products.
If it makes them feel better I'm usually suspect of stuff anyway until I trust the vendor, but even then I try to pay attention.

Although the employee may not be interested, which is wrong, it's not his sole responsibility to ensure what products they carry are authentic. He should have pulled the product and called attention to it, but there are superiors, people whose jobs are ordered and ensuring quality, and policies in place that are supposed to protect the consumer and their overall brand.

I might expect it from a far lesser store, but not a big store like that.
I have worked in big retail and I have worked in logistics so I am well aware of the process of receiving new product and for Cabela's to have counterfeit product it would mean their distributor has it and is in violation of their contract or something happened at that specific store both of which remove the company from the issue other than to ensure it is resolved at that store or with their distributor. It is difficult but not terribly so for a carrier to also have swapped a load for counterfeit which again doesn't mean Cabela's did anything here to be suspect of. I would highly doubt that Cabela's knowingly purchased and received counterfeit goods when all other explanations are far more plausible.

I have worked in big retail and I have worked in logistics so I am well aware of the process of receiving new product and for Cabela's to have counterfeit product it would mean their distributor has it and is in violation of their contract or something happened at that specific store both of which remove the company from the issue other than to ensure it is resolved at that store or with their distributor. It is difficult but not terribly so for a carrier to also have swapped a load for counterfeit which again doesn't mean Cabela's did anything here to be suspect of. I would highly doubt that Cabela's knowingly purchased and received counterfeit goods when all other explanations are far more plausible.

So you're not above excusing a retailer, but the carrier is fair game?

I'm gonna head back over there this weekend to see if it's still there. I expect once the folks at Spyderco return from the holiday they will be all over this, given Sal's quick response.

Well, yes, when it comes to knives most of us on here know that. That wasn't exactly my point. My point is that we should be able to trust large established dealers to be selling genuine stuff. Do they have knockoff fishing tackle too? Knock of clothing? Is the elk jerky really elk?

Yes, yes, and no.

Maybe I am over thinking how low we can go in the future as far as counterfeiting goes but I do not want to live in a world where you do not know if the toothpaste you are buying at Walgreen's is real or fake. We put a lot of trust in our supply chains to give us the genuine article. We shop for many of our goods with blind faith.

You might as well shoot yourself now. Those stores are in business to make money. If they can make more selling knockoffs, why wouldn't they? I shop with suspicion, not blind faith.

The cabelas where I live has their knife department together with their optics's department. No one is ever at the counter you always have to ask for help to get someone there. After you wait a bit it's usually a senior that's just working part time to make ends meet.
He has no clue of knives at all. You ask to see a knife he opens the case and hands it to you if a fake is in there he wouldn't know a butter knife from a sebenza. And if it was a returned knife which was bought new and legit and returned fake the people at the customer service counter look at it and imo read spyderco or whatever brand is on the paper work and grant the return.
These people are not experts a few act like it but most don't have a clue so I see where it's easy for scammers to use this to make a few bucks. We all know where to use caution when buying knives and big box stores are one of them.

No I but the driver for the Carrier could have swapped a load which Cabela's would have to work out with their Carrier.

Stranger things have happened.

I've seen entire pallets worth of Pepsi get diverted to to a personal vehicle and FedEx drivers pulling items from high value shipments. It's not common but I've come across it.

Once again, until we know what happened, we don't know what happened.

Stranger things have happened.

I've seen entire pallets worth of Pepsi get diverted to to a personal vehicle and FedEx drivers pulling items from high value shipments. It's not common but I've come across it.

Once again, until we know what happened, we don't know what happened.
I worked for a carrier I know all about the things that go on.

It's crazy how they'd let something like that slip through. Once in a great while you'll find someone who actually knows something about what they're selling, though most of the time they don't have a clue.

Yup. I've found it especially prevalent around the ammo department at my local Cabela's. Whenever a customer asks about a certain type of ammunition, it's as though the sales rep is a robot programmed to say "that'll do the trick." Every time. It is usually accompanied by a sneering face and slight nod that says "I've seen stuff man."

The cabelas where I live has their knife department together with their optics's department. No one is ever at the counter you always have to ask for help to get someone there. After you wait a bit it's usually a senior that's just working part time to make ends meet.
He has no clue of knives at all. You ask to see a knife he opens the case and hands it to you if a fake is in there he wouldn't know a butter knife from a sebenza. And if it was a returned knife which was bought new and legit and returned fake the people at the customer service counter look at it and imo read spyderco or whatever brand is on the paper work and grant the return.
These people are not experts a few act like it but most don't have a clue so I see where it's easy for scammers to use this to make a few bucks. We all know where to use caution when buying knives and big box stores are one of them.

East Hartford?

This is a little scary :/ Has anyone come across a fake knife at say... a walmart or any other place like it? I thought it would be safe 100% Is this common?

Back