Cadet vs Tinker

Cadet vs Tinker

• Cadet

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Tinker

Votes: 19 63.3%

• Total voters
The Cadet, because alox looks nicer, it is thinner, it is stronger, it will probably last longer.
But a Tinker with scissors and scale tools is great too.

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
I prefer the recruit over the tinker, and because I carry the classic for the scissors I no longer require the toothpick and tweezers ( not that most of my pocket knives have 'em anyways ) so I have come to really like the cadet.

Last edited:

Quiet

"That guy"
Gold Member
It would be the Cadet for me. I DO like the Tinker, and Cellidor models in general, but I've had an ALOX Cadet for a long time, and is almost always either in a pocket or in my daybag. We're close friends at this point!

The cadet is nice with the alox scales, but slap some Micarta scales on a Tinker and it becomes the winner.

My Deluxe Tinker with black canvas Micarta, and my Climber with green linen Micarta scales...

hvr1For.jpg

Lee D

Basic Member
but slap some Micarta scales on a Tinker and it becomes the winner.
Agreed.
My huntsman had a chip taken out of a factory scale while it was in a backpack so I replaced the scales on several of my SAKs.
To answer the question, I prefer the Cadet. Red alox being my favorite, its the color I think of when I picture a SAK, and IMO alox looks better with some wear than cellidor does.

Sawl Goodman

Gold Member
I voted Tinker, even though I have neither. The Tinker has the small blade I use a lot and would feel better in my hand, given I find the similarly sized Voyageur too thin.

I know it’s not in the question, but I’d choose a Pioneer over either the Tinket or the Cadet. The inline awl is fantastic.

Last edited:

evenkeel

Gold Member
Cadet, as between those two. Cadet or Tourist would be a tougher choice for me, but that’s another poll for another day.