Cadet X

I must admit that, although I said earlier that I don't need (or wanted at the time) one, I spoke out of ignorance. Now that I actually own one, I admit that cadets pack a lot of capability in such a compact and thin profile. For urban/office carry, this thing is awesome! If it had scissors it would be even better. I probably still don't "need" one in my current setup, but I would likely end up getting one nonetheless.

Last edited:
They did make the Cadet Voyager years ago , it’s my rarest SAK that I own , but dont use it much because it doesn’t have a key ring which I now consider essential.

Interesting. I cannot find information on the Cadet Voyager in SAK-wiki. Can you point me to where I can get more information on it?

If I had to choose I'd swap the nail file for an awl and add a bail.
That would be better. I really do not like that lanyard post sticking out of the end and causing hotspots on an other wise wonderful knife...that includes all Vics. I would rather have a bail any day, as long as it is not too big.

I have a Cadet coming tomorrow, I'd prefer to have a small blade instead of the nail file myself but will see how it's size fits my use.
Nice work on the mods there too !
G2

It would be great to order what ever you want in each frame size a true custom even at a higher price I think they would sell a ton.

If I can acquire some more scissors from 84mm donors I'll build a few more CadetX knives.

There's a reason for that. Real executives have minions to do actual work, i.e.,drive screws, while they sit on their keisters and peel oranges. Hence the reason for the tools on the Victorinox Executive. Duh! :D

Well, then it's a great match for me! As a retired old fart, I sit on my keister by the river bank and wait for a fish to bite. I just maybe, maybe, may peel an orange while waiting for a fish to disturb my peace. ;)

If I can acquire some more scissors from 84mm donors I'll build a few more CadetX knives.

Your gracious offer is duly noted and appreciated. Hat tipped.

Will the scissors from a Wenger 85mm work in a 84mm?

They are of a better design which Victorinox has now implemented in its Evogrip series along with the contoured handle scales. Good move by Vic.

show_image.php

I find the nail file to be an excellent small Phillips driver, and sometimes awl for poking holes in not too hard material. But I would love a cadet with both nail file and scissors. Then I cold jettison the classic from key ring.

I find the small flat head on the can opener works just fine on phillips heads (better that the nail file) and would prefer a small blade in place of the file. I would like to see a three layer model with scissors though.

Back