California laws on ZT flippers? Travel concerns

Are non-assisted flippers legal in California?

• Yes, legal in most California counties/cities

Votes: 25 92.6%
  • No, not legal in California

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
I'll be traveling to California soon and wanted to bring my zt0560 with me. It's been many years since I've lived there and wanted to make sure non-assisted flippers are still legal. Could anyone please chime in? Let's assume I'm only worried about Orange county and maybe LA county if it needs to be narrowed down.

None assisted flippers are generally legal in the State of CA unless the local laws supersede State laws. Look up the statute, know the law and don't flip that ZT open in public willy nilly like a fidget item.

None assisted flippers are generally legal in the State of CA unless the local laws supersede State laws. Look up the statute, know the law and don't flip that ZT open in public willy nilly like a fidget item.

Sounds good, I appreciate it.
I lived in CA for most of my life and had plenty of assisted openers, I know laws have recently changed so wanted to check with someone that's up to date.

Flippers and assisited are legal.

Orange county not an issue.
LA has a size limit. Just don't act like a douchebag and draw attention to yourself.

Some theme parks,events and buildings have magnetometers. Plan accordingly.

Best advice would be to just not give Kommiefornia your hard earned tourist dollars.

Best advice would be to just not give Kommiefornia your hard earned tourist dollars.
Southern California sucks, but other than the anti 2a attitude the government here has I quite like the rural area of norcal I live in.

And yes these knives are legal, so are assisted openers.
Even balisongs and autos but the blade has to be under 2" or under 1.5", not that it matters though as all options are just cheap novelties.

Last edited:
I live here only because for now my job keeps me here and most of my family is out here. Our politics in this State are an absolute joke but having said that, assisted opening knives and flippers are perfectly legal in LA County. I carry one every day as my EDC..even my 4" Swift. Also, for such a blue State, our knife laws in general are fairly decent. Montana for example, has worse switchblade laws than we do.

Last edited:
I'll be traveling to California soon and wanted to bring my zt0560 with me. It's been many years since I've lived there and wanted to make sure non-assisted flippers are still legal. Could anyone please chime in? Let's assume I'm only worried about Orange county and maybe LA county if it needs to be narrowed down.

Your 560 fully in your pocket (completely concealed) will be legal in the entire state except schools & other govt buildings. Some private entities like entertainment centers or theme parks will restrict knives with a posted sign. Check the websites of those places for a list of restricted items.
If your 560 is visible (meaning I can see your pocket clip or any other part of it) it will be illegal in Los Angeles County since it exceeds the 3" limit for non-concealed folders. However that law is rarely enforced unless you give the LEO cause to stop you and search you. Usually they confiscate the knife and that's that. If you really piss them off they will confiscate the knife and give you a citation.

Have a fun trip. Enjoy the nice weather.

I believe LA 3” laws apply to open and concealed carry, from things I have read. (That’s one reason why I bought an 0900 ;)).
So far as I am aware, there is no restriction on non-auto/non-balisong folders anywhere else in the Southern end of PRK (with the exception of schools, etc. as stated above). Schools are even more strict, although sometimes I forget to pocket dump before going to my kid’s games.

State law does not restrict folders except for schools and government buildings. Local ordinances may vary. Where in Kommifornia do you plan to go?

Just don't bring it into government buildings. I'm in San Francisco and know a bunch of people that carry autos. Nobody really cares.

People like to bash on California (and I can see why they jump to conclusions due to the strict gun laws) but the truth is, as has been mentioned, we have pretty relaxed knife laws here. I can get pretty much any knife I want and carry most of them just about anywhere. As a collector, automatics can be acquired legally through dealers as well. The general rule of thumb here is to not abuse the privilege (don't carry something obnoxious, don't scare people, etc.) and pay attention entering facilities that may prohibit them. Most officers would probably compliment you on your cool knife given the chance.

Back