California Minor Knife Laws

im a minor, and i have a balisong and a small folder. I live in california, so the bali's out of hte question, but i have this folder, which is about 2.5" with a plain edge and serrated combo blade. Am i allowed to carry this? If not, am i allowed to carry knives with me at all?

There is no age limit in state law for CA. You do not want to carry on school grounds though. Other than that you should be fine, just don't do anything stupid with it.;)

ok, thanks, i was kinda paranoid about that. Knives are banned in my school, as well as swiss army knives, pocket knives, and even screw drivers, so i wouldnt even bother.

Hi I'm 15 yrs old and I have a 2.88 inch lockback folder. I live in the bay area in the alameda county. can someone tell me if this is legal to carry on the street and if it has to be concealed or not. thanks.

Here are the County Codes for Alameda County.

Section 9.12.060 Use, possession, discharge, sale of dangerous weapons.

Except as otherwise provided in Section 9.12.070 of this chapter, it shall be unlawful for any person in the unincorporated territory of the county to sell, give, loan, or in any way furnish, or to cause or permit to be sold, given, loaned, or in any way furnished to a minor, or to allow any minor to use or possess or discharge, or for any minor to use or possess or discharge a dangerous weapon. (Prior gen. code § 4-11.1)

And

Section 9.12.050 Definition of dangerous weapon.

Dangerous weapon shall mean and include:
A. Any knife having a blade three inches or more in length, or any snap-blade or spring-blade knife regardless of the length of the blade; B. Any ice pick or similar stabbing tool;
C. Any cutting, stabbing or bludgeoning weapon or device capable of inflicting grievous bodily harm;
D. Any dirk or dagger or bludgeon or blackjack;
E. Any straight edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle;
F. Any rifle, gun, pistol, revolver, air rifle, B-B gun, air gun, sling, sling shot, or other similar instrument or device designed or intended to discharge or capable of discharging a bullet, shot, or other missile of any kind. (Prior gen. code § 4-11.0)

Since your knife is under 3" you should be fine. Just don't take it on school grounds.

I would like to welcome the 2 new members to the forum. I think it is great that you are taking time to investigate these laws. The way we act and talk here on the forums is alway being monitored by the sheeple. You two are the future in the world of cutlery. I am very impressed keep up the good work!

Hi I'm 15 years old and I have a flipper (Kershaw cryo) the blade is smaller than 3" can I carry this around or will I get arrested by the police

I believe that the statements presented previously would apply to yourself as well. BTW - you are responding to a thread that has been inactive for over a decade.

Hi I'm 15 years old and I have a flipper (Kershaw cryo) the blade is smaller than 3" can I carry this around or will I get arrested by the police

Here is some important information about knives in California-

Under California penal code 626.10, it is illegal for you to carry ANY locking folder onto any school property grades k-12. It is also illegal to carry any non-locking folder or fixed-blade with a blade 2.5" or longer onto school property k-12.

Of course schools will likely have a "zero-tolerance" policy that forbids the carrying of ANY knife of any size onto school property, but "zero-tolerance" policies are not enforceable by arrest or jail like a violation of the penal code. However, violating any school policy can result in expulsion.

As far as carrying knives outside of school property, there are no age limits on knife carry in California. Some cities/counties have their own restrictions on what size knife one can carry and how one can carry it, but a knife with a blade smaller than 3" is not illegal under any local law I have ever heard of in the state of California (as long as it's not a switchblade or butterfly knife. California has a 2" blade length limit on the carry of such knives statewide).

And when asking for information about knife laws, it's always helpful to mention what city and county you are in so people can provide specific information.

Last edited:
I live in Montclair California in the county of San Bernardino if that makes any difference based on the information you stated and Thank you.

Hi I'm 15 and live in California.I want to know if I can carry a fixed blade that has a 6" long blade and in total the knife is 10 and a half inches.

Hi I'm 15 and live in California.I want to know if I can carry a fixed blade that has a 6" long blade and in total the knife is 10 and a half inches.
First, I think your parents should be involved in any decision you make to walk around openly carrying a 10" fixed-blade.

As far as the law, under California state law there are no age limits on the carrying of knives, folders or fixed-blades. So it is perfectly legal for a 15 year old to openly carry a fixed-blade. And since California law doesn't place any limits on the size of knives people carry (with the exceptions of switchblades and butterfly knives, and knives carried on school property), then it's perfectly legal under state law for a 15 year old to openly carry a fixed-blade of any size.

However, some counties and cities in California have length limits on the size of knives that are carried openly. And since fixed-blades must be worn openly under state law, that means that there are length limits in those counties/cities.

You need to know both state law, and your local laws. What part of California are you in?

Hey I was wondering if the county of Orange county has a limit on a age to carry any knife and what may the length limit it is if there is a limit? I have several knives all under 3" are these okay to carry under the age of 18 and will I get arrested for carrying such knives?

Hey I was wondering if the county of Orange county has a limit on a age to carry any knife and what may the length limit it is if there is a limit? I have several knives all under 3" are these okay to carry under the age of 18 and will I get arrested for carrying such knives?
Doing a search of Orange County's laws I could find no law pertaining to minors carrying or possessing knives, or any blade length/size limits.

Here's where I searched- https://www.municode.com/library/ca/orange_county/codes/code_of_ordinances

This leads me to believe that there are no restrictions under Orange County law making it illegal for a minor to carry a knife in Orange County, and that there are no blade length limits specific to Orange County.

Of course state law still applies, but carrying a folding knife with a blade under 3" is legal throughout this state (with the exception of school property and government buildings).

In regards to the topic of arrest, whether or not a person is arrested can have as much to do with the personality, attitude, and legal knowledge of the individual cop as it does with the written law. Even if you are completely within your legal right to carry a knife it's still possible for a member of law enforcement to arrest you simply because they are wrong about what is or isn't legal, or because they have a bad attitude. But that being said, as long as you don't bring the knife onto school property, and as long as you are not acting in a suspicious or irresponsible manner, then I seriously doubt that you would find yourself under arrest.

Oh okay cool thanks for finding out because when I try to research it myself nothing pops up besides news articles saying that it should be a law that people under the age of 18 can't carry a knife but still thanks I appreciate it

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Hi it's not my real name btw ok so I have a 3 1/4 inch folding knife and I am 14 about to turn 15 am I allowed to carry it as long as it isnt at school btw I need to know for the state of california laws

I was wondering if I could carry a Bowie knife out in California and what I Learned already you have to Open carry yet I do not know if a minor can open carry I’m 17

Hi it's not my real name btw ok so I have a 3 1/4 inch folding knife and I am 14 about to turn 15 am I allowed to carry it as long as it isnt at school btw I need to know for the state of california laws

Under California state law it is legal for you (or a minor of any age) to carry a 3 1/4" folder in public, either openly or concealed. That is, assuming it's not a switchblade or butterfly knife.

Of course some cities/counties do have their own blade length limits.

Last edited:
I was wondering if I could carry a Bowie knife out in California and what I Learned already you have to Open carry yet I do not know if a minor can open carry I’m 17

Under California state law it is perfectly legal to carry a bowie knife of any size on your person in public as long as you carry it openly. And by "openly" I mean clearly visible (not covered in any way by clothing).

Some cities/counties have blade length limits on the size of fixed-blade you can openly carry in public. For example Los Angels has a 3" blade length limit, but there are exceptions that allow for the open carry of longer bladed knives such as- carrying for work, recreational activities (camping, fishing, etc), or for reasons of religious worship, but you had better be prepared to provide proof that you are carrying the knife for one of those reasons.

It is also legal under CA state law to carry a fixed-blade (bowie) inside a backpack, duffle bag, etc, even if it isn't visible.

It is never legal in the state of California to carry a fixed-blade of any size "concealed upon the person", meaning on your body in any way that it could not be seen by someone looking you over, like attached to your clothing under other clothing, attached to your belt under clothing, attached to your leg under your pants, inside a pocket, hanging from your neck under a shirt or jacket, etc.

There are places you wouldn't be able to openly carry a fixed-blade, like on school property grades k-12, government buildings, and airport property. And businesses have the right to prohibit the carrying of knives upon their premises.

Last edited:
Back