1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Call for Charpy toughness samples

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Larrin, Jan 26, 2018.

1. DevinT

DevinT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 29, 2010
    I’ll grind coupons for anyone who needs it.

Hoss

2. Larrin

Larrin Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Thanks Dad!

shqxk, Tin.Man and Justin Schmidt like this.
  3. rodriguez7

rodriguez7 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 1, 2009
    Very interesting. Thanks for all this effort. Looking forward to the results

4. Jrmysell

Jrmysell

May 18, 2014
    This sounds awesome. Can't wait to see all the results.

5. Larrin

Jan 17, 2004
    What has been offered so far:

Willie71 - Z-wear, conventional Cru-Wear, comparing cryo + low temper against upper temper
    Darrin Sanders - not specified
    kuraki - 80CrV2, W1, W2, 4V, M4, and Rex 121
    JTKnives - 15N20
    DevinT - grinding

Shaping up to be a good list so far!

Justin Schmidt and hugofeynman like this.
  6. hugofeynman

hugofeynman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2011
    I’ll ask one of “my” makers for a piece of Ultrafort (Maraging steel) and for a piece of Vanadis 4 extra, @Larrin. I’ve asked if he can heat treat both. If he don’t, can I send those pieces anyway? I hope the guy still have them laying around. Can’t wait for this results! And putting a Maraging steel into the mix will be interesting to see!

7. Larrin

Jan 17, 2004
    All pieces sent to me should be ready to test charpy samples.

8. kuraki

kuraki Fimbulvetr Knifeworks

Jun 17, 2016
    @JTknives I have .125 15N20 if you want I can just include it in my batch. Or I can send you a chunk to process.

9. hugofeynman

Jan 18, 2011
    Ok!

10. DevinT

DevinT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 29, 2010
    I offered the same thing to him several days ago with no response.

Hoss

11. HSC ///

HSC /// KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 7, 2012
    if you would like some laminated steel with Hitachi white core, I could offer some up.
    But I think it's kind of a specialty steel, meaning the lamination provides benefits but I don't that I would consider Hitachi white in a toughness conversation.
    And also the heat treat would be different, straight water quench, flash temper, no cryo.

Justin Schmidt likes this.
  12. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013

I’ll take you up on this. I think I have enough of the z-wear here to start, and have the cru-wear as well as some more z-wear ordered.

Larrin and DevinT like this.
  13. Larrin

Jan 17, 2004
    It could be interesting. But you are correct, it would give the toughness of laminated white steel, not white steel itself. It would provide very little information about the toughness of White steel.

14. rodriguez7

rodriguez7 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 1, 2009
    Anyone able to throw in some 8670. I could send someone a bar, if they’re willing to heat treat it! I don’t have the facilities to heat treat to the level I would like. But I will be willing to mail someone a bar!

15. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013

I think I have some here. It’s simple to heat treat, so I’ll process some and submit it. I’ll go for RC60/61.

hugofeynman and DevinT like this.
  16. rodriguez7

Feb 1, 2009
    Sweet, thanks man. I’ve been using it a bit, but I can’t dial in a heat treat as accurately as you guys can. I’m really liking it so far, it seems to be a really tough steel.

17. Willie71

Feb 23, 2013
    Yes, it’s tough, and has a wide range of flexibility in heat treat. It makes a pretty good kitchen knife at Rc63 as well.

18. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    Thanks man for the 15n20 Im talking to devin right now about his 15n20. I forgot that I also have a bunch of 5160 that I can coupon up. Its .25 thick but i can get it close to thickness if someone wants to spark it out on there grinder. I also have 52100 in large round stock that i can slice off a thin cookie. And I have some nice A2 that I can cut up. Right now i'm out of LN though.

19. rodriguez7

Feb 1, 2009
    Another one that would be interesting to see is 3v with nates heat treat tweeks! I’m pretty sure there is no toughness values other than the tests Nate has done for edge stability.

Willie71 likes this.
  20. hugofeynman

Jan 18, 2011
    This would be pretty close:

http://www.hypefreeblades.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77&sid=eeb8b55e88724e5a5c1d24f80e590a36
    Roman Landes cpm3v heat treatment recipe. Until this, almost everyone used high temper with this steel.