Call for Charpy toughness samples

I will test it we just need people willing to heat treat and machine specimens. We have a few individuals willing to help so far but we certainly haven't reached a saturation point yet.

Can someone tag Nathan Carothers here. I’m sure he would be willing to contribute.

All the ones I’ve done have been +/-.001 on the thickness and width, length have run a little long, maybe .05 or so.

Hoss

If you are keeping a list, Larrin, I checked my stock, and in addition to the z-wear and cru-wear already mentioned, I’ll do 8670 in two hardnesses. I’m seeing if I can get a sample of 20cv to compare to my third generation m390. If I can, I’ll do that as well, and third, I’ll do two extra z-wear samples trying two vs. three tempers, compared to the four I normally do. I don’t think four is absolutely needed, but I’d like to see the differences between two, three, and four tempers.

If you are keeping a list, Larrin, I checked my stock, and in addition to the z-wear and cru-wear already mentioned, I’ll do 8670 in two hardnesses. I’m seeing if I can get a sample of 20cv to compare to my third generation m390. If I can, I’ll do that as well, and third, I’ll do two extra z-wear samples trying two vs. three tempers, compared to the four I normally do. I don’t think four is absolutely needed, but I’d like to see the differences between two, three, and four tempers.
Sounds great! If it were me choosing I would keep the two temper comparison but replace the three temper with a 24h cryo to compare a 30-60 minute cryo with the sometimes recommended longer cryo.

Sounds great! If it were me choosing I would keep the two temper comparison but replace the three temper with a 24h cryo to compare a 30-60 minute cryo with the sometimes recommended longer cryo.

Sure. I can do that.

Has any one offered up cruforgeV yet. I have a small stick I got from Salem that I could forge down into a few coupons.

I really like the fact that you guys are sharing all the heat treat data with us! Gives us something to work off of. Hopefully I’ll have most of my heat treat equipment by the summer. Excited to try some of this! Thanks everyone!!!

I think I’ve convinced some friends to make and heat treat pieces in K600 (0,45% carbon, 4% nickel), A8mod and Ultrafort (Maraging steel). Will probably take some time until they finish it.

Back