Call for Charpy toughness samples

So...planning out test conditions for some steel. Input would be welcome, please speak up if you have a particular condition you would like to see tested or have any experience that might help.

CPM S35VN: Data sheet shows 1900f to 2000f aus temp, both low temper and high. Any reason to include high tempers? Prequench?

X50CrMoV15: This one will be weird, as manufacturers are all over the board on their HT (as far as I can tell). I will do some cryo, some not, some low temper, some high. Seems most run it either at 55-56 HRC, or at full hardness of around 58 with cryo, so I will include those at a minimum.

A2: Should be pretty standard, possibly test prequench?

A8M: This is chipper knife steel. Tough stuff! I have access to a bunch of used chipper knives but they will require quite some effort to anneal and saw. Any interest in including it, or is it not worth the pain?

Michael

So...planning out test conditions for some steel. Input would be welcome, please speak up if you have a particular condition you would like to see tested or have any experience that might help.

CPM S35VN: Data sheet shows 1900f to 2000f aus temp, both low temper and high. Any reason to include high tempers? Prequench?

X50CrMoV15: This one will be weird, as manufacturers are all over the board on their HT (as far as I can tell). I will do some cryo, some not, some low temper, some high. Seems most run it either at 55-56 HRC, or at full hardness of around 58 with cryo, so I will include those at a minimum.

A2: Should be pretty standard, possibly test prequench?

A8M: This is chipper knife steel. Tough stuff! I have access to a bunch of used chipper knives but they will require quite some effort to anneal and saw. Any interest in including it, or is it not worth the pain?

Michael

I don’t know of any knifemakers using high temper with this S35VN. I’d skip HT unless Larrin, or anyone else suggests otherwise. I typically use 1950f ot 1975f with S35VN. I haven’t played with it above Rc61/62, so trying higher hardness would be interesting.

Chuck at AKS said he’s sending some a8mod with my last order. No use annealing old steel since new steel is coming.

I’ve got a bunch of stuff finishing up today, and I’ll list it when I put it in the charts. I’ve got M4 going through a subcritical anneal right now. My bandsaw wouldn’t cut it the other day. I’ll use abrasive disks if I need to after the anneal. S90v and D2 are the next steels after the current batch.

Warren

Last edited:
Yeah I wouldn't bother with upper temper for S35VN.

I will try to figure out heat treatment for 1.4116 tomorrow.

10-4 on the S35VN.

I have a preliminary plan for the 1.4116, I will email it to you along with a generic datasheet so you can vet it.

Michael

Ok, after several hours of squinting st samples to make sure I could read my etching through the decarb and scale, here is what is ready today. I’ll do a list of what is promised tomorrow. I’d love to get it done tonight, but my eyes are crossed. Getting old sucks.

E40B4FF9-72F9-49BE-9BAD-6DAF554F37E3 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

There’s a couple errors I can see. The z-wear is austentized at 2050f, and there’s a high temper x-grain A11 as well. I’ll sort it out tomorrow. Im mildly dyslexic, so this part is challenging for me.

Last edited:
Once I get the M4 done, I’ll send this off for grinding. M4 is butter soft after the anneal. It must have work hardened on the edges when it was cut.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I've realized I can't effectively contribute labor to this effort.
But I CAN contribute steel/money. Is there interest in adding Nitro-V to the mix, with a couple variations in Aus. temps, plus sub-zero and several tempers?

Is there another type of steel already planned, but for which stock is lacking?

I would be delighted to order an appropriate piece or two of stock from NJSB to be delivered to the appropriate person in the chain.
Please, Larrin, Warren, JT, etc. PM if interested.

-E

Hi All,

But I CAN contribute steel/money. Is there interest in adding Nitro-V to the mix, with a couple variations in Aus. temps, plus sub-zero and several tempers?

I would be delighted to order an appropriate piece or two of stock from NJSB to be delivered to the appropriate person in the chain.

-E

Willie71 Willie71 is the keeper of the plan on this, and is a mad HT'ing machine, so I will defer to him on the steel types we need to add and if he wants to do the HT.

I will volunteer my services for any HT and grinding needed on steel donations, though. I'm truly excited to see how broad this database can become!

Michael

Hi All,

-E

I meant to get the “in the works” list completed yesterday. I’ll do my best to get it up tonight.

Hi All,

-E

I seem to recall someone offering nitro-v, but don’t think it ever got done. I’ll have to go over the full thread and see what was offered (all steels), and see if it’s still coming, or if we need to make new plans. One steel we do need is 5160. I’m fine with that going to Michael if that’s easier, as it prevents cross border shipping. If that’s not a concern, I can heat treat it too.

Any word on a2/o1/s7 at 60 to give us tool steel nerds a baseline to compare the others to?

Back