Call for Charpy toughness samples

Yeah I wouldn't bother with upper temper for S35VN.

I will try to figure out heat treatment for 1.4116 tomorrow.

We use this Slovenian company's steel selector program at work for different steel properties, heat treatments etc. They only have what they sell on the site, but they have a lot so maybe it will help some of you guys. You can choose the standard and you also get equivalent steels for other standards:

https://steelselector.sij.si/steels/PK5.html

I seem to recall someone offering nitro-v, but don’t think it ever got done. I’ll have to go over the full thread and see what was offered (all steels), and see if it’s still coming, or if we need to make new plans. One steel we do need is 5160. I’m fine with that going to Michael if that’s easier, as it prevents cross border shipping. If that’s not a concern, I can heat treat it too.

I have some new 5160, I’ll try to work up some coupons.

Hoss

Larrin Larrin I have 10 S30V samples ready. I'm sending them to Mr. Drinkwine so he can finalize the size. I didn't hardness test them as my tester can't get close to the edge. Hopefully Michael can fill in the numbers.

I took an semi-educated guess on which treatment variables to try. I hope it's helpful.

charpy.png

Looking forward to testing them!

The Crucible datasheet for S7 shows a small decrease in toughness by tempering at 300°F for 59 Rc as opposed to 400° for 57 Rc. I think trying both tempering temperatures is a good idea. The 300°F may very well end up at 60 Rc anyway, especially if heat treated with a cryo treatment.

Here’s an update on what has been promised. First, look at posts 72, 360, 386, and 408 to see what steels Chuck has sent. He’s sending a8mod and 440b with my next order. (In the mail now.) The list is mostly chronological. Many of these steels have been done now, but are awaiting grinding (by other members) I didn’t include steels promised by these members that have been sent for grinding, or already tested. There’s a fair bit of crossover. I’ll put up a complete list of what has been done either in this post, or another one below.

JTKnives: 15n20, 5160, 52100, A2, S5, D2
Kuraki: 80crv2, W1, W2, 4v, M4, 15n20, S7, Rex121
Willie71: Hitachi white
Nathan the Machinist: (non commitment) delta 3v
Deadboxhero: Elmax, S35VN, cpm154, Nitro V (I think done.)
Tower: calmax, H13, Chipper, M340
Hugofeynman: H11, esr
Attila: k490
StormW (skillgannon): M4, M2, S35VN
Michael Drinkwine:CTS-XHP, A2, S35VN, X50CRMoV5
jdm61: 9260, Don’s W2 (provide steel)
Kentucky: 1060, L6(moly)
DevinT: 5160
Sando: s30v (done-sent for grinding.)

Steels I have on hand that are done, or in process from the list include M4, M2, 15n20, 8670, 80crv2, elmax, W2, Rex121, 4v, 3v, D2. I have W1 here, but I have to forge it from a 1” round. I might have a chunk of 1075 left too.

We still need cpm-D2, and psf27.

Last edited:
Here’s an update on what has been promised. First, look at posts 72, 360, 386, and 408 to see what steels Chuck has sent. He’s sending a8mod and 440b with my next order. (In the mail now.) The list is mostly chronological. Many of these steels have been done now, but are awaiting grinding (by other members) I didn’t include steels promised by these members that have been sent for grinding, or already tested. There’s a fair bit of crossover. I’ll put up a complete list of what has been done either in this post, or another one below.

JTKnives: 15n20, 5160, 52100, A2, S5, D2
Kuraki: 80crv2, W1, W2, 4v, M4, 15n20, S7, Rex121
Willie71: Hitachi white
Nathan the Machinist: (non commitment) delta 3v
Deadboxhero: Elmax, S35VN, cpm154, Nitro V (I think done.)
Tower: calmax, H13, Chipper, M340
Hugofeynman: H11, esr
Attila: k490
StormW (skillgannon): M4, M2, S35VN
Michael Drinkwine:CTS-XHP, A2, S35VN, X50CRMoV5
jdm61: 9260, Don’s W2 (provide steel)
Kentucky: 1060, L6(moly)
DevinT: 5160
Sando: s30v (done-sent for grinding.)

Steels I have on hand that are done, or in process from the list include M4, M2, 15n20, 8670, 80crv2, elmax, W2, Rex121, 4v, 3v, D2. I have W1 here, but I have to forge it from a 1” round. I might have a chunk of 1075 left too.

We still need cpm-D2, and psf27.

I thought Larrin didn’t want to test H11 ESR! But I’ll ship it to you with pleasure! This is a strong candidate to the toughest steel of the list, but at the expense of being to soft (52hrc).

I thought Larrin didn’t want to test H11 ESR! But I’ll ship it to you with pleasure! This is a strong candidate to the toughest steel of the list, but at the expense of being to soft (52hrc).

I didn’t read the comments that didn’t include steel offers. You may be right on that. I just listed everything offered, except mike steel.

I don't see any CPM-D2 at the common small-volume suppliers, but I will get a piece of PSF-27 on its way to Michael. It claims to be twice as tough at 61Rc as regular D2 at 60Rc. Sounds like it could hold a knife-appropriate edge with its small/carbide/spray manufacturing structure instead of an obtuse angle.

-E

I’ve got M4 and z-tuff in the oven today. I’m doing lower temps for M4, 1975f and 2050f, and same with z-tuff to see how much toughness drops as hardness goes up. I’m also doing 1900f in z-tuff for a high toughness sample.

Storm W will do the over 2100f M4 heat treat. He’s been playing with M2 and M4 more than me, and offered to get some samples done.

Last edited:
Back