Call for Charpy toughness samples

That was before my tester was fixed.
I'm really excited to see where it stacks up on the chart with the other steels.

I'm predicting it's the toughest of the PM Stainless steels next just under Nitrobe 77

I sent a good sized piece of .100" to Larrin and he has used it to test and write some KILLER Patreon Member articles about the steel and heat treatment.

aKf2U2f.jpg

I have been very much enjoying the steel for it's high balance of properties.

Last edited:
I'm really excited to see where it stacks up on the chart with the other steels.

I'm predicting it's the toughest of the PM Stainless steels next just under Nitrobe 77

I sent a good sized piece of .100" to Larrin and he has written some KILLER Patreon Member articles about the steel and heat treatment.

aKf2U2f.jpg

I have been very much enjoying the steel for it's high balance of properties.

I read those articles. I have a blade in vanax ready for a handle. Ill check hardness when I get home.

Edit: I took 10 readings on the tang of a vanax knife I heat treated at 1975f, plate quench, cryo, and temper at 350f 2hx3. I got Rc62/63. My tester reads between Rc0.5-1.0 high, so Rc61/62 is probably more like it.

Last edited:
Cutting a load of coupons tomorrow, so I made a printable cut template. Just glue it on with a glue stick (remember 1st grade?) Make sure to print it out actual size or it might not be accurate. Sized for 1" and 2" stock, but you can also trim to fit. Just stay inside the cut line between samples and it will be perfect sized to grind.

Attachments

• Charpy toughness coupon cut template.pdf
    29.5 KB · Views: 16
I have some S90V and D2. Also CPM-D2.
I'm going to do some M2 and M4 samples. I was wondering if if it would be worth trying a prequench on one or 2 samples. Is there anything that would be interesting to try? I think I'm doing the samples over 2100. I was also thinking about a high temp sample to see if things really fall off. You can text me at 360.305.6225 if you like.

I'm going to do some M2 and M4 samples. I was wondering if if it would be worth trying a prequench on one or 2 samples. Is there anything that would be interesting to try? I think I'm doing the samples over 2100. I was also thinking about a high temp sample to see if things really fall off. You can text me at 360.305.6225 if you like.

I did 1975 and 2050 on M2 and M4. I also did the first M2 sample at 2100f. I did high and low temper for each condition. M2 is the only steel so far to not have better toughness with low temper. I’m not sure about pre quench.

I did 1975 and 2050 on M2 and M4. I also did the first M2 sample at 2100f. I did high and low temper for each condition. M2 is the only steel so far to not have better toughness with low temper. I’m not sure about pre quench.
You got any ideas about what might even be effective for these? I wanted to try it at a desirable hardness since that's where most will use it.

All I know is that D2 needed sub 1800f for pre quench. Maybe Larrin can do an article on pre quench.

I am currently in possession of a nicely stuffed box of charpy samples from Warren the heat treating machine. Looking forward to getting them ground fro testing!

The issue is this:
My lovely daughter in law is with child and 3cm dilated with my first grandson and only grandchild. My son, the father, is simultaneously trying to pass a 3mm kidney stone through a significantly smaller tube! I May be distracted for a bit, but I'll get them done ASAP! All well wishes and kind thoughts appreciated.

I just watched a thing about how it was done in medieval times. It involves a hammer and a nail and was often fatal. Yeash! We got it better now I guess.

I am currently in possession of a nicely stuffed box of charpy samples from Warren the heat treating machine. Looking forward to getting them ground fro testing!

The issue is this:
My lovely daughter in law is with child and 3cm dilated with my first grandson and only grandchild. My son, the father, is simultaneously trying to pass a 3mm kidney stone through a significantly smaller tube! I May be distracted for a bit, but I'll get them done ASAP! All well wishes and kind thoughts appreciated.

Look after family! Hope all goes smoothly for both son and daughter in law. Ultrasound is often used to break up stones.

He's so lit on Vicodin he doesnt really care if he's peeing riprap!

Hurts me to talk about it...

Back