Call for Charpy toughness samples

The Zwear and Ztuff blades that I have/had are MBB.

Tho, I'm selling few of my Busse and MBB and buy more from Giedy :)

I’ve moved away from buying more Busses (never tried MBB) and now I stick with Adam Kornalski for big monsters (check his IG, Kornalskiknives. The biggest knives he ever made are all mine, mostly in K600, Vanadis 4 extra and Caldie steel. He also made big knives for others, but mines are the biggest:D), as with Giedymin (have to try that 6150), Dulo Knives (some big monsters also, in Ultrafort, A8mod and H11 ESR) and The Master Fredrik Haakonsen, one of the very few makers that can control all the variables (and there are so many! See Larrins publications!) in the knifemaking process, the kind of maker I wouldn’t hesitate to choose if I could only have one knife to the rest of my life.

I’ve moved away from buying more Busses (never tried MBB) and now I stick with Adam Kornalski for big monsters (check his IG, Kornalskiknives. The biggest knives he ever made are all mine, mostly in K600, Vanadis 4 extra and Caldie steel. He also made big knives for others, but mines are the biggest:D), as with Giedymin (have to try that 6150), Dulo Knives (some big monsters also, in Ultrafort, A8mod and H11 ESR) and The Master Fredrik Haakonsen, one of the very few makers that can control all the variables (and there are so many! See Larrins publications!) in the knifemaking process, the kind of maker I wouldn’t hesitate to choose if I could only have one knife to the rest of my life.

I think this "love" is a moving creature.. I like KNIVES, and many times, luckly, I'm moving from one maker to an another, finding, testing, liking new blades and steels.
Everything is getting better, especially on the material part... This thread is a concrete proof of what's happening, of how our curiosity makes us evolve.
I'm not saying that the new makers are better than the old, but new design and the new science makes products perform in a better way, (not everytime tho).
Giedy today is making blades that gives much satisfaction.. My last chopper is a cute .332 (8,5mm) slab of 6150, 14 inches baldes that weights 3,7lbs...untill I have stamina, it's such an annihilator.
I will for sure try more stuff from all those good makers out there in the future!

I think this "love" is a moving creature.. I like KNIVES, and many times, luckly, I'm moving from one maker to an another, finding, testing, liking new blades and steels.
Everything is getting better, especially on the material part... This thread is a concrete proof of what's happening, of how our curiosity makes us evolve.
I'm not saying that the new makers are better than the old, but new design and the new science makes products perform in a better way, (not everytime tho).
Giedy today is making blades that gives much satisfaction.. My last chopper is a cute .332 (8,5mm) slab of 6150, 14 inches baldes that weights 3,7lbs...untill I have stamina, it's such an annihilator.
I will for sure try more stuff from all those good makers out there in the future!

The metallurgical knowledge gleaned and shared over the 6 years I’ve been making knives has been impressive. When I started, going above Rc60 was seen as sacrelige, by most people, except in kitchen knives. The steel selections, and heat treat info has allowed for some pretty extreme geometry that now survives.

CD#1 will be available for sale through our site and SB Specialty Metals by late July if anyone is interested.
Will this be available in sheet? Or will you cut it down for flat strips? I’m anxious to try it. Thanks!

Reactions: nsm
Am I correct that CD#1 is basically the same as z-tuff?
According to the composition, the only difference is the addition of silicon, 1 percent and a bump in chromium. So it might have a little more toughness and corrosion resistance.

According to the composition, the only difference is the addition of silicon, 1 percent and a bump in chromium. So it might have a little more toughness and corrosion resistance.

The silicon really helps toughness too. We need to test this steel!

CPM cu-wear lists the silicon, where z-wear doesn’t, but that is speculated to just be the published data. I’m under the impression the crucible makes z-wear for zapp, just like they make z-tuff.

They probably have the same amount of silicon. I don’t understand why the chromium is different though.

440b, 440c, A8mod, S90v, have been going through various heat treats this week.

Two sources of 52100 are being annealed or normalized/cycled to get the additional data Larrin wants.

1084 is ready for heat treat.

I’m planning out the 1v, D2, S7, and Nitro V heat treats.

I’ve got z-wear which I will heat-treat at 1975f, and temper in increments from 200f to 1000f to see where embrittlement happens.

And, rebuilding the cylinder head on my car, and restoring a vintage Gibson acoustic guitar that was neglected to the point it was no longer playable. Oh, and rebuilding the transmission on my garden tractor. :confused:

Last edited:

Two sources of 52100 are being annealed or normalized/cycled to get the additional data Larrin wants.

I’ve got z-wear which I will heat-treat at 1975f, and temper in increments from 200f to 1000f to see where embrittlement happens.

And, rebuilding the cylinder head on my car, and restoring a vintage Gibson acoustic guitar that was neglected to the point it was no longer playable. Oh, and rebuilding the transmission on my garden tractor. :confused:
Hell ya! And I thought I was a busy guy!

And, rebuilding the cylinder head on my car, and restoring a vintage Gibson acoustic guitar that was neglected to the point it was no longer playable. Oh, and rebuilding the transmission on my garden tractor. :confused:[/. Double post

Hell ya! And I thought I was a busy guy!

I try to have multiple steels ready for the same time, if they use the same temps. Otherwise it would take forever to get a range done. I did steels at 1975f last night, but paused the ramp at 1700f to normalize the 52100 and 1084. Today, I paused at 1450f to cycle x2, while ramping up to 1850f, and then up to 1900f. Tomorrow I have steels at 1950f, but a few at 1725-1750f. I’ll make a plan.

Back