Call for Charpy toughness samples

Hooray for 1084!! Thanks, Larrin!

Sure looks like in the hardness range I care about (59-63, but mostly 60-62), 1084 is a great performer. Like AEB-L, it seems you can get a lot of your edge retention from hardness instead of carbides and have a fine, acute edge.

BTW, do you plan to update this page, or is there another authoritative spot we can see the tabular version of the data?:
https://knifesteelnerds.com/toughness-database/

Thanks again!

-E

We have now added 1084 steel to the chart, as well as a couple more tempering temperatures for L6:
View attachment 1144596
Those 1084 results are interesting and good news for folks like me to boot. Funny how it tracks right along with CFV until you get close to 63Rc then CFV kind of pulls away. I typically do the 1500/400 HT for straight 1084 which gets me in that 20 lb ft + sweet spot. Just from the 1084 results and the composition of the mix, where what would you guess (and we won't hold you to it) as to where say a typical 60/40 mix of 1084 and 15N20 might land on the chart assuming best methods during forge welding?

Just from the 1084 results and the composition of the mix, where what would you guess (and we won't hold you to it) as to where say a typical 60/40 mix of 1084 and 15N20 might land on the chart assuming best methods during forge welding?
I don't know.

We have now added 1084 steel to the chart, as well as a couple more tempering temperatures for L6:
View attachment 1144596

Larrin, was that 1084 I did, or did someone else send some in? After the initial pieces came out soft, I have some normalized and cycled, and ready for heat treat. Doesn’t look like I need to do new samples now. I’m surprised with how much tougher 1084 is than 1095 or O1.

I’m surprised by the L6 at Rc57. Was it in the embrittlement range? I thought for sure at low hardness it would be tougher than the 8670 @ Rc60.

The 1084 came from AKS, presumably from your heat treating. Obviously different than the first ones tested.

The 1084 came from AKS, presumably from your heat treating. Obviously different than the first ones tested.

It was the same piece of steel, and austenitized all at once. It was cut into individual pieces after 1st temper. Totally bizarre!

I would like to help out with the testing and research. I don't have anyway to precisely heat treat anything at this moment. I send my stuff out for heat treat. I do have a little bit of cash I could put towards the cause. Is there any steel that is needed that you don't have. I'll buy some and ship it to who ever is gonna heat treat the stuff.
I think this is awesome stuff that you guys are doing. I am already a patreon of Knife steel nerds. But I would like to help out some more if I can.

Jason

That's a good question. We have quite a few steels tested so far. And a lot that are missing are either in process or I have some and just have to get it cut out and heat treated. One steel that has been challenging to get in a good size is XHP. Last I looked it was all either .093 or 0.25 in.

That's a good question. We have quite a few steels tested so far. And a lot that are missing are either in process or I have some and just have to get it cut out and heat treated. One steel that has been challenging to get in a good size is XHP. Last I looked it was all either .093 or 0.25 in.

When I get a break on the truck project today, I’ll post a list of everything done or in the works.

I also have sent batches for machining to two different people today.

Just curious if someone already grinded NZ3 and Ultrafort. These are two candidates to the toughest steel of the test (at least, Ultrafort).:)

Just curious if someone already grinded NZ3 and Ultrafort. These are two candidates to the toughest steel of the test (at least, Ultrafort).:)

They are at JTKnives still.

NZ3 is pretty close to 9260 in composition, iirc. Should be very tough.

Last edited:
Those 1084 results are interesting and good news for folks like me to boot. Funny how it tracks right along with CFV until you get close to 63Rc then CFV kind of pulls away. I typically do the 1500/400 HT for straight 1084 which gets me in that 20 lb ft + sweet spot. Just from the 1084 results and the composition of the mix, where what would you guess (and we won't hold you to it) as to where say a typical 60/40 mix of 1084 and 15N20 might land on the chart assuming best methods during forge welding?

The samples in the chart were done at 1475f, with a 10 minute soak. They were normalized at 1650f first, then two cycles at 1450f, then heat treated. Tempering ranged from 300f to 450, or 500f, going by memory. Earlier samples weren’t hardened, so i’m not sure which tempers these ones were. It would be interesting to compare 1500f, and 1525f austenitizing temps. Maybe that’s what i’ll Do with the 1084 I have ready to heat treat.

I would like to help out with the testing and research. I don't have anyway to precisely heat treat anything at this moment. I send my stuff out for heat treat. I do have a little bit of cash I could put towards the cause. Is there any steel that is needed that you don't have. I'll buy some and ship it to who ever is gonna heat treat the stuff.
I think this is awesome stuff that you guys are doing. I am already a patreon of Knife steel nerds. But I would like to help out some more if I can.

Jason
That's awesome!

6150 and ..... INFI :)

I just got in from a long day. I’ll post the list tomorrow. I have the info on the computer, and my wife is using it right now.

Back