Call for Charpy toughness samples

Larrin, do you do testing?

I got some samples of elmax, s35vn and cpm 154 I'd like tested.
I do not own a metallurgical testing facility. We are currently performing charpy impact toughness for the mutual benefit of all if samples can be provided in the condition specified in this thread. The high level requirements are in the first post of this thread. We did report results previously for CPM-154 but only for one heat treatment.

Here is an example of a set of heat treatments that could be performed with AEB-L:
I4jcIwI.png

I'll try get these done by the end of the week, no later than next week. I already have CPM-M4 & CPM-4V on hand just need to know what protocols you think would be best to run for each alloy. I'll be glad to do them within the next few weeks.

Before I screw up a bunch of coupons, I just wanna be sure I'm on the right track. The test pieces need to be .098" X .394" X 2.165" + or - .003" with a 150 grit or better finish. If I'm off, please correct me. I'll do the length & width before H/T and grind them to final thickness after.

One more thing Larrin. Will a number stamped on the end with the hole be detrimental? It sure will help keep everything sorted out.

Is there any possibility that some steel makers or commercial knife makers might be willing to donate ready-to-test steel samples for this testing?

I don’t have any 3v thick enough. I’ll get some on my next order, and do,Rc58,60,and 63.
Do you need 3v? I have a big block and could bandsaw off a few slices for you.

Before I screw up a bunch of coupons, I just wanna be sure I'm on the right track. The test pieces need to be .098" X .394" X 2.165" + or - .003" with a 150 grit or better finish. If I'm off, please correct me. I'll do the length & width before H/T and grind them to final thickness after.
That is correct. You would still have to take the width slightly oversized before heat treating because the finish matters on those sides.

One more thing Larrin. Will a number stamped on the end with the hole be detrimental? It sure will help keep everything sorted out.
As long as it is sufficiently far from the center. The anvils have a 40mm spacing so it needs to be outside that.

Is there any possibility that some steel makers or commercial knife makers might be willing to donate ready-to-test steel samples for this testing?
Anything is possible if we believe hard enough.

Is there a complete list of all the alloys that are being donated? I will provide some missing alloys.

Chuck
This is what I think we have on offer:
Willie71 - Z-wear, Cru-Wear, 8670, N690, Z-Finit, M2, 20CV
Darrin Sanders - AEB-L heat treatments
kuraki - 80CrV2, W1, W2, 4V, M4, Rex 121, 15N20
JTKnives - 15N20
DevinT - grinding

This is what I think we have on offer:
Willie71 - Z-wear, Cru-Wear, 8670, N690, Z-Finit, M2, 20CV
Darrin Sanders - AEB-L heat treatments
kuraki - 80CrV2, W1, W2, 4V, M4, Rex 121, 15N20
JTKnives - 15N20
DevinT - grinding
Looking good!

As long as it is sufficiently far from the center. The anvils have a 40mm spacing so it needs to be outside that.

Got it. I think it'll be best to put the hole on one end and stamp the number/mark on the other. I'll make them a few thou. oversize in all directions and finish them after H/T.

That would work.

Edit. I think there is a requirement in regards to rolling direction for samples.

Warren
Yes the orientation relative to the rolling direction is very important.

Back