1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Call for Charpy toughness samples

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Larrin, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013

I don’t have any 3v thick enough. I’ll get some on my next order, and do,Rc58,60,and 63.

2. Larrin

Larrin Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Sure it can.

Willie71 likes this.
  3. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013

I need a metallurgical lab to test some of the ideas coming into my mind. I’m ready for a career change.

rodriguez7 and Justin Schmidt like this.
  4. DeadboxHero

DeadboxHero

Mar 22, 2014
    Larrin, do you do testing?

I got some samples of elmax, s35vn and cpm 154 I'd like tested.

5. Larrin

Jan 17, 2004
    I do not own a metallurgical testing facility. We are currently performing charpy impact toughness for the mutual benefit of all if samples can be provided in the condition specified in this thread. The high level requirements are in the first post of this thread. We did report results previously for CPM-154 but only for one heat treatment.

6. Darrin Sanders

Darrin Sanders Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 6, 2009
    I'll try get these done by the end of the week, no later than next week. I already have CPM-M4 & CPM-4V on hand just need to know what protocols you think would be best to run for each alloy. I'll be glad to do them within the next few weeks.

Justin Schmidt likes this.
  7. Darrin Sanders

May 6, 2009
    Before I screw up a bunch of coupons, I just wanna be sure I'm on the right track. The test pieces need to be .098" X .394" X 2.165" + or - .003" with a 150 grit or better finish. If I'm off, please correct me. I'll do the length & width before H/T and grind them to final thickness after.

8. Darrin Sanders

May 6, 2009
    One more thing Larrin. Will a number stamped on the end with the hole be detrimental? It sure will help keep everything sorted out.

9. JohnKSa

JohnKSa

Feb 13, 2018
    Is there any possibility that some steel makers or commercial knife makers might be willing to donate ready-to-test steel samples for this testing?

10. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    Do you need 3v? I have a big block and could bandsaw off a few slices for you.

11. Larrin

Jan 17, 2004
    That is correct. You would still have to take the width slightly oversized before heat treating because the finish matters on those sides.

Darrin Sanders likes this.
  12. Larrin

Jan 17, 2004
    As long as it is sufficiently far from the center. The anvils have a 40mm spacing so it needs to be outside that.

Darrin Sanders likes this.
  13. Larrin

Jan 17, 2004
    Anything is possible if we believe hard enough.

Rhinoknives1 likes this.
  14. Alpha Knife Supply

Alpha Knife Supply Always Innovating Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 14, 1998
    Is there a complete list of all the alloys that are being donated? I will provide some missing alloys.

Chuck

15. Larrin

Jan 17, 2004
    This is what I think we have on offer:
    Willie71 - Z-wear, Cru-Wear, 8670, N690, Z-Finit, M2, 20CV
    Darrin Sanders - AEB-L heat treatments
    kuraki - 80CrV2, W1, W2, 4V, M4, Rex 121, 15N20
    JTKnives - 15N20
    DevinT - grinding

Ken H> likes this.
  16. Willie71

Feb 23, 2013

That would work.

Edit. I think there is a requirement in regards to rolling direction for samples.

Warren

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  17. rodriguez7

rodriguez7 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 1, 2009
    Looking good!

18. Darrin Sanders

May 6, 2009
    Got it. I think it'll be best to put the hole on one end and stamp the number/mark on the other. I'll make them a few thou. oversize in all directions and finish them after H/T.

19. Larrin

Jan 17, 2004
    Yes the orientation relative to the rolling direction is very important.

Tin.Man likes this.
  20. hugofeynman

hugofeynman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2011
    @Larrin, One of my friends have two pieces almost ready to ship. He will heat treat this weekend and I think he can ship next week. A piece of Ultrafort (6 or 7 hours at 500C, no need for tempering) and Vanadis 4 extra (he will use the same heat treatment protocol Landes recommends for cpm3v (http://www.hypefreeblades.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77&sid=0f92860e57ca78d2fc8d28c500559e1d) and will achieve 63/64hrc).
    Please send the shipping adress to my email: hugofeynman at gmail dot com.