Call for Charpy toughness samples

Z-wear and cru-wear will be sent off today. Lots of little pieces of steel to keep sorted out. :confused:

One more z-wear sample to do, cryo plus high temper. I have to run a different program from the other samples which had batches going for them in terms of efficiency. I’ll send this group out today anyway, and send the last condition with the next batch.

Devin.T, I sent you a pm to get your address.

Warren

Last edited:
Larrin Larrin , One of my friends have two pieces almost ready to ship. He will heat treat this weekend and I think he can ship next week. A piece of Ultrafort (6 or 7 hours at 500C, no need for tempering) and Vanadis 4 extra (he will use the same heat treatment protocol Landes recommends for cpm3v (http://www.hypefreeblades.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77&sid=0f92860e57ca78d2fc8d28c500559e1d) and will achieve 63/64hrc).
Please send the shipping adress to my email: hugofeynman at gmail dot com.
Only one piece of each? I believe we recommended at least three samples of every condition. Or by "pieces" you just mean a set of samples?

Only one piece of each? I believe we recommended at least three samples of every condition. Or by "pieces" you just mean a set of samples?

Sorry. I didn’t read properly. Only one sample of each. If you still want them, I’ll ship what I have.

Sorry. I didn’t read properly. Only one sample of each. If you still want them, I’ll ship what I have.
I can still take them, but the results are most useful when multiple samples are available. That way you can get a good average rather than wondering whether or not you have an outlier. Toughness testing is highly variable.

I can still take them, but the results are most useful when multiple samples are available. That way you can get a good average rather than wondering whether or not you have an outlier. Toughness testing is highly variable.

You’re right, Larrin. Sorry for misreading rules. Now I can’t ask my friend to make more pieces, first because he is really busy and is making this pieces because he is so kind and second because I’m sure he have run out of Ultrafort steel and is really pricey to buy. If it scores well, I may buy another bar from Achim Wirtz (one of my steel suppliers, only can find Ultrafort through him) to make a big dagger and I’ll ask my friend to make three or four pieces, to double check results.

Do we assume that bars were rolled in the lengthwise direction?
That is usually the case though there might be exceptions. It probably depends on where you are sourcing the steel from. Often you can tell based on the small marks left from rolling, unless it is surface ground.

All the CPM stuff I get from AKS appears to be sheet blasted which makes it hard to tell.

Why ? What would you do with that steel ? Hammer ? Axe ? Shaft ? Crankshaft ? Bolt ? Gear ?

Curiosity. It will be interesting to have steels in the upper limit of the table, as well as steels in the lower limit (cpm REX121, cpms125v, ...), regarding toughness, that is. And yes, I’ve tomahawks made of it, and some also made in 4340. And I’m sure 4140/4340 would make a hell of a chopper knife!

Larrin, I tried to PM you, but you aren’t a paid member. I forgot to put the description in the package, so here it is.

Here is the heat treat I did on the samples.

For the z-wear, I did 1250fx20min, ramp full speed to 1550f, hold 20 min, ramp full speed to 1950f, hold for 30 min. Plate quench until room temp.

One sample had no cryo and was tempered four times for 2h at 1000f. It will be 1-2Rcpoints below the cryo samples. This is manufacturers recommended heat treat. rc62. I’ll do another sample to get a comparative Rc63/64, like the rest of the samples.

One sample had 1h cryo, then four 2h tempers at 400f.

One sample had 36h cryo (I forgot it after the 24h.), then temper at 400f times four.

I did 12h cryo on the rest.

One sample had two 2h tempers at 400f.

One was three tempers at 400f.

One was four tempers at 400f.

Cast cru-wear had 1250x20min, 1550x20min, then 1975fx30 min. Cast seems to need a bit more heat to get the same Rc# as the pm version. These samples should all be Rc63/64, and we’re tempered at 400f, 2h x4.

I also need to do one sample 1925f, cryo, high temper to get a Rc63/64 cryo/high temper sample.

Warren

Last edited:
Warren,

What was the tempering temp for the Cruwear sample?

400f. Hardness changes very little between 250f and 6 or 700f. I control final hardness with austenitizing temperature. The only one tempered different from 400f is the 1000f high temper sample.

Larrin, any other conditions you want me to try?

I still have the cryo/high temper condition, (I’ll try 1925f) plus a no cryo/high temper that is closer in hardness to the cryo/low temper samples (1975-2000f probably.)

I had a road trip planned today, but it was cancelled due to weather. I’m going to do the 8670 samples today, and maybe the z-finit, or 20cv.

Last edited:
The main thing I can think of would be a low temper with no cryo.

Back