Calling all forces HELP now or perhapes never

As many of you know I have been trying for many years to force the State of New York to amend its present nebulous and enforced upon whim and individual opinion of the enforcing agency laws, regarding various type of cutlery ie swithblade antiquitys. Also to clarify its position on a legal way for ther cutlery artifacts to be displayed. ( If you go to Larrys site www.Collectors-of-Schrades-R.us ) under the collectors corner you will find an article I wrote on this quest called Museum Road. Frankly I had all but given up on anything ever happening regarding a bill that my actions have forced into being in the legislature. ( attached is a copy of the bill I helped write ) .
Imagine my surprise when I got home and found out that the bill had finally passed the senate. Please see attached email I received from a fellow concerned knife collector . Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 4:04 PM
Subject: Assembly Bill
156761473.jpg

Rick,
The bill # in the Assembly is A07076.
It is this exact bill wordwise that passed in the Senate.
Tell everyone to contact:

Assemblywoman Aileen Gunther
18 Anawanna Lake Rd.
Monticello, NY 12701
845-794-5807
e-mail gunthea@assembly.state.ny.us

Preferably e-mail but if by mail gotta make it quick because the legislature is closing down on the 22nd. Phone is maybe ok but I think they are looking for a paper trail.
I've asked Steve Wilkinson, her director, when the vote is going to take place but haven't heard back yet. When I do I'll let you know.
Good luck and here's hoping, END OF EMAIL

This is the first time since 1958 that there is a chance to amend in any way the outdated idiotic switchblades laws that make a 2,7/8 inch knife that is over 100 years old with one inch blades ( invented so that people would not break a fingernail when opening ) available in a totally legal manner to be exhibited.

As I have written before I still believe this is a shell game to to shut me and some others up however truthfully I never expected it to get through the Senate albeit this late in the session. Please take the time to email the assembly woman at the above address and express your support for Bill A07076. This is the closest we have ever been to getting our feet in the door and decriminalizing these artifacts of our AMERICAN cutlery history. Schrades largest sellers were automatics and I feel they would still be in business if they had been allowed to compete with the foreign automatics flowing unstopped into this country every day.

I do not usually go into other forums ( I get into enough trouble here ). However for those of you who do please advise them of the posting and this opportunity. It is only a quick email if the word can go out we can get this done. It is a genuine positive first step to change something anyone that everyone agrees is nuts but never been able to do anything about. Again any of you who can pass this to other forums please do it now.

One thing to note the assembly bill excludes NYC which was the only amendment to the original senate bill. Otherwise it will allow display with proper procedures for switchblade knives. This will allow many legal opportunitys for people to gather and discuss these artifacts without the harrassment of individual enforcment agency upon there interpretation of the laws regarding these item ( or how they feel that day).

What ever happens at least we are further than I ever expected. PLEASE send an Email to the Assembly person and Please get this info out there. It does not matter if you are from NYS or not this law would eventually help every state. PLEASE LET OTHER FORUMS and anyone else you can think of aware of this issue. This may be the last shot we have for a long time. Now it is down to a handful of assembly people please make sure that they know how you feel. LT PS ( I do not normally post on this forum however I felt there would be some people who would be interested and might wish to help by sending an email, in support. ) For those who might wonder who I am my name is Rich Langston and I am the author of the book The Collectors guide to switchblade knives as well as a virtual museum tour CD so that these maligned artifacts could at least be viewed. I am quite cynical as to this ever happening however I do remember Florida a few years back in which we including this forum were insturmental in changing a law which as in this case was enacted in (1958) by those who really had no idea of what they were talking about. It can be done. Please help send an email. Thankyou for your time.

Back